S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

DIY - Backup Camera / Dash Cam Installation Guide

Old 10-01-2021, 11:41 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah the only problem is the s2000 dont got no shark fin :/
Old 10-01-2021, 07:28 PM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by aphex4000
Has anyone had any luck installing one of those GM live view mirrors that are showing up in a lot of domestic cars now? I think it's an option on the newer Camaros and has been available for the Cadillac CT6 for some time now. We don't have a lot of space in the S2k for phone holders, displays, etc so I'm thinking it could be a good option
-snip-
-snip-

EDIT:
Hrmm....after looking into this some more, I'm not so sure it's a good idea. These are mainly used to provide a rear view, not a downward biased view to assist with parking. Most of the cars with this type of mirror have the camera mounted in the base of a shark fin antenna or the spoiler.
The mirror itself with the "dimmer" switch to toggle to rear view seems like an awesome idea. We could place the rear camera in the license plate frame area for a good view for back up assist and parking.
Some people like @Car Analogy have used a 370Z Nismo rear mirror that has a small section for a backup camera and gotten them to work.
Old 10-04-2021, 12:51 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Live Fast
The mirror itself with the "dimmer" switch to toggle to rear view seems like an awesome idea. We could place the rear camera in the license plate frame area for a good view for back up assist and parking.
Some people like @Car Analogy have used a 370Z Nismo rear mirror that has a small section for a backup camera and gotten them to work.

I'm going to give this a try. My current mirror has a tiny 3.5" display because it was the only option available at the time. There are a few full LCD displays and cameras floating around on eBay so I'll just wait for some reasonably priced parts.

EDIT: Got the mirror mounted but still waiting for a few more parts to come in before everything gets buttoned back up. Not crazy about the shape of the mirror (up turned corners like a smiley face instead of the OEM sad face), but the size is about the same overall and the coverage is still good.

The following users liked this post:
Sobe_Death (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 10:26 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by aphex4000
I'm going to give this a try. My current mirror has a tiny 3.5" display because it was the only option available at the time. There are a few full LCD displays and cameras floating around on eBay so I'll just wait for some reasonably priced parts.

EDIT: Got the mirror mounted but still waiting for a few more parts to come in before everything gets buttoned back up. Not crazy about the shape of the mirror (up turned corners like a smiley face instead of the OEM sad face), but the size is about the same overall and the coverage is still good.

Which part number mirror did you go with?
Old 10-15-2021, 11:12 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I got one intended for use with a 2019-2021 Camaro. The model number looks like GNTX-1573-905-XXXX, with the last 4 digits appearing different on other listings. We just moved and there is now a tight turn into the garage so I was in a pretty big hurry to get this done, but I'll try to post a how-to in a new thread later if anyone's interested.

The following 4 users liked this post by aphex4000:
Accordinglytuned (10-15-2021), alSpeed2k (10-16-2021), Live Fast (10-15-2021), shrykhar (10-16-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 04:44 PM

That's awesome!
Old 10-16-2021, 08:32 AM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice job! I think I may tackle this during the winter. The thing holding me back is I'm scared of breaking the windshield when I attempt to remove the button.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Were you able to mount it with the factory 'button' affixed tot he window or did you have to remove it and replace it with a different 'button'?

looks fantastic.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:53 AM

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Does this mirror have Homelink garage door buttons? Does it have auto dim?

I like the short stalk. Is it possible to move mirror up farther than in youtube vid? So more windshield visibility? I sit really high, and need every mm of view under mirror to be able to see out windshield.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by starbai
Were you able to mount it with the factory 'button' affixed tot he window or did you have to remove it and replace it with a different 'button'?

looks fantastic.
We were DMing a bit and he modified the S2000 arm to work with the Camaro mirror. I think it would be easier to use a Zoom mount and have the Camaro mirror be modified less but attach easier.

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Does this mirror have Homelink garage door buttons? Does it have auto dim?

I like the short stalk. Is it possible to move mirror up farther than in youtube vid? So more windshield visibility? I sit really high, and need every mm of view under mirror to be able to see out windshield.
It does Auto-Dim and in one of the Cadillacs with it I have seen the Homelink buttons.

Quick Reply: DIY - Backup Camera / Dash Cam Installation Guide