S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Diagrams to install aftermarket Stereo

Old 03-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagrams to install aftermarket Stereo

Hi everyone,
Looking for a reference to dissemble my ’05 S2k to install a stereo system. Need the blowout for the interior and trunk. I am willing to pay but not sure what reference manual will give me what I want. Any recommendations?

Thanks, Monty
Old 03-10-2013, 01:57 AM

For what? What are you trying to do/build?
Old 03-10-2013, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
For what? What are you trying to do/build?

I want to replace the stock radio, door speakers, head rest speakers, add a sub and amp. Here was I am looking at; Kenwood KDC-X997 head unit, with a SiriusXM tuner and ASWC steering wheel control adapter, Polk Audio db651s for the doors with a Pioneer 2-channel amplifier and Sound Ordnance B-8PTD sub. I would like to replace the headrest speakers with something larger? but I may just remove them. The trick is where to put the amp and sub, I don't want to give up space.

- Thanks, Monty
Old 03-10-2013, 04:14 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Monty
ASWC steering wheel control adapter
get a modifry DCI instead
Old 03-10-2013, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by afzan
Originally Posted by Monty' timestamp='1362959063' post='22394114
ASWC steering wheel control adapter
get a modifry DCI instead

The ASWC steering wheel control adapter is more money, but worth the investment?

- Monty
Old 03-10-2013, 07:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you want the modifry dci.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worth's always subjective. Modifry's DCI versus others is a very common topic and you can find prior threads comparing them. IIRC ASWC does not support mute on the S but I don't recall all the differences off the top of my head.

Some of the info you're looking for can be found in the DIY AP2 head unit thread but it only covers the head unit upgrade.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Monty
I want to replace the stock radio, door speakers, head rest speakers, add a sub and amp. Here was I am looking at; Kenwood KDC-X997 head unit, with a SiriusXM tuner and ASWC steering wheel control adapter, Polk Audio db651s for the doors with a Pioneer 2-channel amplifier and Sound Ordnance B-8PTD sub. I would like to replace the headrest speakers with something larger? but I may just remove them. The trick is where to put the amp and sub, I don't want to give up space.
Sub should fit upright behind either of the seats. You can also fit the B-8PTD under the drivers seat, but it partially blocks the sliding mechanism, so you will lose some seat adjustability there too. (It won't fit under the passenger seat at all.) Behind the driver's seat is probably the best spot as long as you don't need the seat all the way back.

For amps, check out the Alpine KTP-445U. It's small enough to fit behind the passenger side dash, and can be bridged to put out 90W x 2 channels RMS. Your polks will quit on you long before the amp does.

Headrest speakers are tricky. A lot of people find they have to turn them way down to avoid overpowering the fronts, and having just the left channel right behind your head can also screw up stereo imaging. I didn't bother with headrest speakers, but if I do add rears down the road, I'll put them in the panels behind the seats, and not before I upgrade my fronts. The db651s are a good value and perform well (I have the component versions - db6501), but there's definitely room for improvement - If you have room in your budget, I'd spend it on better fronts before worrying about rears.

For steering wheel control, Modifry is the way to go. You won't regret it.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:56 PM

If you PM me your email I can send you diagrams, I would recommend getting an adapter harness. Usually the wires have what they do printed on them. I have my amp under the driver's seat, but if you have the factory alarm, it might not fit.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by JD NC
Originally Posted by Monty' timestamp='1362959063' post='22394114

Sub should fit upright behind either of the seats. You can also fit the B-8PTD under the drivers seat, but it partially blocks the sliding mechanism, so you will lose some seat adjustability there too. (It won't fit under the passenger seat at all.) Behind the driver's seat is probably the best spot as long as you don't need the seat all the way back.

For amps, check out the Alpine KTP-445U. It's small enough to fit behind the passenger side dash, and can be bridged to put out 90W x 2 channels RMS. Your polks will quit on you long before the amp does.

Headrest speakers are tricky. A lot of people find they have to turn them way down to avoid overpowering the fronts, and having just the left channel right behind your head can also screw up stereo imaging. I didn't bother with headrest speakers, but if I do add rears down the road, I'll put them in the panels behind the seats, and not before I upgrade my fronts. The db651s are a good value and perform well (I have the component versions - db6501), but there's definitely room for improvement - If you have room in your budget, I'd spend it on better fronts before worrying about rears.

For steering wheel control, Modifry is the way to go. You won't regret it.

JD NC thanks alot for the input. Cost is not a controlling concern, I am going to do this only once. What are better fronts? The db651 comes with tweeters did you replace your door tweeters? I have the car alarm under the driver seat and I am too tall to give up leg room and move the seat up to fit a unit. My options are behind the passenger seat, under the passenger dash or in the trunk.

Quick Reply: Diagrams to install aftermarket Stereo