S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Dash cutting club

Old 07-04-2022, 06:50 AM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Juice Steez
I think someone else is working on getting the RHD bezzel 3D scanned to create a mirrored copy. I've been inquiring as well and the first local company came back at $650 just for the scan. Got a few more quotes pending but doubt I'll have the spare time or cash to start this any time soon.
Yeah there's a 3d scan/print shop just down the street from me that I was talking to about this last summer after I picked up this new-to-me AP1. They mentioned something like 300 to do the scan and suggested trying to just reshape the JDM bezel with a heat gun first (after they scanned it of course). If acceptable fitment couldn't be achieved with that, they could try to print out a flipped LHD version with some high-temp material but they were concerned that they didn't have any 3d printing material that would be dashboard-safe given the temps that a car parked outside in 100F+ could see.

I may try to find a plastic mold company and at least get a ballpark idea of price to have a LHD mold made but again my totally uneducated guess is that this would be extremely cost prohibitive. I'm definitely willing to pay in the hundreds of dollars if a pretty much perfect LHD flipped part can be made but if it's getting into thousands that doesn't seem worth it and I'd probably just go with having a custom one-off piece made with something like carbon fiber or just plain fiberglass at that point. Obviously wouldn't look as factory has a plastic piece with the Honda texturing but still better than a non-fitting RHD bezel.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would take a few people committed to a LHD bezel to bring the cost per unit (ideally to <$75/bezel). I'm not super savvy with 3D scanning/printing so we would need some guidance from someone that is. Until then, I'll just continue asking around and kicking some tires.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:28 AM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Juice Steez
It would take a few people committed to a LHD bezel to bring the cost per unit (ideally to <$75/bezel). I'm not super savvy with 3D scanning/printing so we would need some guidance from someone that is. Until then, I'll just continue asking around and kicking some tires.
yeah agreed 100%

Maybe this month I'll get around to having that local 3D shop scan it and try reshaping with a heat gun but as I think several of us have mentioned now I'm 99% sure the RHD bezel can't simply be heat-gunned into looking correct even if it is contorted enough to fit more or less flush against the dashboard surface because the front area is wider on one side than the other.