S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Dash cutting club

Old 08-05-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so i bit the bullet and cut into the dash. i still need to modify the vents in the back.

do you guys think heat gun will mold the vents easily? i was think of just blasting the heat gun at the vents and push them back just about an inch.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've cut the dash before and put a Double din in.... and i prob wouldn't do it agian.

That USB monitor is interesting. i might try that idea out with hooking that up to a small computer stored in my passenger airbag spot, since it's removed.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to bump the thread again, but does anyone know how much room there is? IE how many inches of room do i have back there before i have to cut the heat vents? I'm thinking of doing this and since i don't use CD/DVD at all in the car right now i thought i would get a deck that doesn't have CD or DVD reader and instead USB only.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:38 AM

Does anybody know if the Canadian S2000's came with the jdm bezel clips? I'm assuming like the U.S ones, they don't

Also, is there any place you can buy a JDM desh?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:49 PM

spent some time and almost done, hopfully ill be done by the end of the week

Old 10-21-2012, 06:56 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice to see this thread still going strong!

Guys, keep in mind it's EASY to do a screen in the dash - much harder to install a double din radio due to complexity associated with a 7" depth that requires you to re-route and rebuild the vent duct for the passenger.

I think after doing this 5 times, it's time to raise the bar.

LCD screens are like cheap CD players, nothing special anymore.

To take this to the next bar, we've been toying with using different tablets and motorizing it for both security and ease of removal.

The Samsung Galaxy tablet and Amazon Kindle 3 seem to be the best tablets thus far for fitment on the s2000 dash setup
Old 10-21-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by s4play
Nice to see this thread still going strong!

Guys, keep in mind it's EASY to do a screen in the dash - much harder to install a double din radio due to complexity associated with a 7" depth that requires you to re-route and rebuild the vent duct for the passenger.

I think after doing this 5 times, it's time to raise the bar.

LCD screens are like cheap CD players, nothing special anymore.

To take this to the next bar, we've been toying with using different tablets and motorizing it for both security and ease of removal.

The Samsung Galaxy tablet and Amazon Kindle 3 seem to be the best tablets thus far for fitment on the s2000 dash setup
yea most def, finally found the perfect tablet that will fit on the out side of the bezell, nexus 7, plan out modding bezel to slide out the tablet in the front
Old 10-28-2012, 03:00 AM

Or now you could use an iPad mini
Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 PM

First off, AWESOME Thread! Just spent the past couple hours reading all the way through from page one and following a few of the links. That said, I've been wanting to make a dock for my Transformer Infinity tablet (normal iPad size, a bit longer) that would allow me to charge it when it's in the dash, and quickly pull it out when I'm done. The way I'm picturing it working: when docked the tablet would be sitting horizontally with maybe the top 1/3 or 1/4 of the tablet sticking up above the dash. To insert the tablet you just drop it in. When I choose not to have the tablet docked I could either have S2000 etched in to the blank space, or I could put a pretty S2000 decal on there.

What I lack is the knowledge or skills to create a polished mold or mount. I'm not sure if this would be a job for fiberglass? I've never worked on a job like this before but I'm dying to get my hands dirty without breaking the bank or having to buy another dash. Any tips or links to DIY/Tutorial threads I might have missed would be MOST welcome!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Sponsor
Vendor - Starter Primary

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GeekSpeak411
First off, AWESOME Thread! Just spent the past couple hours reading all the way through from page one and following a few of the links. That said, I've been wanting to make a dock for my Transformer Infinity tablet (normal iPad size, a bit longer) that would allow me to charge it when it's in the dash, and quickly pull it out when I'm done. The way I'm picturing it working: when docked the tablet would be sitting horizontally with maybe the top 1/3 or 1/4 of the tablet sticking up above the dash. To insert the tablet you just drop it in. When I choose not to have the tablet docked I could either have S2000 etched in to the blank space, or I could put a pretty S2000 decal on there.

What I lack is the knowledge or skills to create a polished mold or mount. I'm not sure if this would be a job for fiberglass? I've never worked on a job like this before but I'm dying to get my hands dirty without breaking the bank or having to buy another dash. Any tips or links to DIY/Tutorial threads I might have missed would be MOST welcome!

What you are suggesting is a project that we started but never finished. We even have TWO spare dashes sitting here to do the work so we don't get the car dirty until we get the process right. In theory it sounds easy enough but we've decided to temporarily put this project on hold since we are too busy but let me give you a few pointers:

a) The dash shape is not going to hold an iPad in horizontal shape on the dash correctly unless you totally REBUILD the entire dash. Unless you plan to stick it on there with double sided tape or velcro, this going to be very labor tedious!

b) We were going to motorize the unit after we rebuilt the dash so only if you hit the secret button, it will tilt the assembly 30 degrees revealing the slot to remove the iPad but again this involves a full dash rebuild.

c) The original plan was to add a bezel type setup on top of the dash but we realized it would be too thick and ugly of an eyesore to do it that way. Plus if you keep the slot open and visible it invites theft.

d) Last issue is the glare problem so we wanted to build a small "hood" like a baseball cap to hide it from the sun, otherwise this thing would be 95% useless when top down.

The s2000 dash is a tricky thing to work with, it's not a large surface area and you need to pay attention to the lines of the dash, otherwise you end up with a hideous eye-sore!

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@euroboutique/videos
Follow-Us Instagram/Facebook: https://www.instagram.com/euroboutique/

Quick Reply: Dash cutting club