S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Custom Trunk and 8" Sub

Old 04-03-2002, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Trunk and 8" Sub

Here is what my trunk looks like now. I am looking for some feedback about how it looks and any suggestions to make it better. Thanks in advance!

-Jay

Old 04-03-2002, 08:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happens when you get a flat? I thought about the same thing but ended up building a smaller enclosure that took minimal space - your JL 8" would fit nice into my box:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=53642

I can do it in red fabric also
Old 04-03-2002, 08:08 PM

Well I forgot to say anything about the setup. Yes the trunk is all red and that s2000 badge is one of Muz's. The sub is an 8" jl w3. It is powered by the digital 300. The digital 100 is powering an Infinity Perfect 6.5" component set. My headunit is an Alpine Minidisc player (forget the model number...it is the silver one). Hidden is a Nakamichi (sp?) crossover and an alpine sub-level control. For my taste, the sub gives me plenty of bass. If you are looking for a lot of bass, this is not for you. The sub pops on heavy bass songs unless I turn down the gain using the sub-level contoller.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by WLAURENT
What happens when you get a flat? I thought about the same thing but ended up building a smaller enclosure that took minimal space - your JL 8" would fit nice into my box:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=53642

I can do it in red fabric also
If I get a flat I whip out the can of fix-a-flat or call someone. I don't know. I realize it is kinda risky, but hey that's the price you have to pay. I am really impressed by your setup also. THe way you contoured the faceplate to the side is great! The advantage my setup has (IMO) is that because mine is ported directly into the car, I will get more bass into the car (the sound isn't bouncing around in the trunk and it doesn't have to go through any metal in the trunk) and nothing rattles (like the spoiler if you have one or the licence plat frame). I had a 12" w6 flush mounted in the trunk before this and had major issues with vibation and rattles. I had more bass with the 12" (obviously), but it is so much cleaner now without the rattles and because it is directly ported into the car. Here is a picture of the vent (which happens to be right behind the vent on the rear panel).
Old 04-09-2002, 04:27 PM

Here is what I think:

If the sub is where the spare tire should be then why not put the spare tire in the trunk? Of course it's not going to look all neat and pretty and you'll lose trunk space but you'll still have your spare tire in case of a flat.

If you port the bass into the cabin through the vent does the vent rattle at all? I am going to have something similar done to my car except i might leave the subwoofer where it's at now (in the well) and port it from there through the cabin.

Another option for those who just like a good sounding tight bass that's not overwhelming is the addition of a mid-bass speaker. I have a 2001 which only has the 2 speakers up front and replaced them with a component system and had 2 mid-bass speakers custom built inside the cabin. One is underneath the driver's seat and the other is in front of the passenger seat. I can still move the seats back and forth and it adds a whole new dimension of sound. Of course that's still not enough bass for me which is why i'm working with the installers to port the sound into the cabin. I have a 15" Kove Armageddon subwoofer in the trunk that's basically a waste because i turn it on and the trunk rattles.

When the system is totally finished I will post the results. I left my digital camera with the installer otherwise I would take some pics of the current setup. It is amazing how much of a difference the mid-bass speakers make. Right now my system consists of:

Kove KC Series Component Set (midrange/tweeter)
Kove KMW 6.5 Midbass w/custum enclosure and carpeted to match interior
Kove Armageddon M Series 15" Subwoofer w/custom fiberglass enclosure
US Amps 100 (for front speakers)
US Amps 600 (for subwoofer)
Red neon accent lighting in both driver's and passenger's side (to match car's exterior)
Clarion DXZ725 CD Head Unit
Black Widow Alarm System

Total Cost = a lot of $$$$ but worth every penny
Old 04-09-2002, 04:46 PM

KrazyBT,

I went to Kove audio's website and couldn't find any reference to the 6.5 midbass speakers. Do you have any more info? price, power handeling, voume requirements etc...... What are the dimensions of your enclosures? Where can I buy these?

Thanks in advance,
KaCee
Old 04-09-2002, 11:11 PM

I don't know why they're not on the website. They could be in the subwoofer section as I don't know the exact model number. There is a link on their website (http://www.koveaudio.com) to a contact number. Kove is not the only company that makes a mid-bass speaker. I'm sure most major car audio brands also carry a mid-bass. I would check with your local installer.
Old 04-10-2002, 01:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KaCee
[B]KrazyBT,
Old 04-10-2002, 06:28 AM

It says on my receipt that the model # is KMW 6.5 , does that sound right? I had enclosures built for them but I don't know the exact dimensions.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:48 AM

Lucid,

How much would you need for 2-Kove 6.5" midbass speakers? PM me please.

Any idea how much volume the enclosure would need. I was also looking at the new Kicker Midbass speakers. They make a 6" and an 8". Basically, the tech notes say you can mount them freeair...So I assume if you can get them in some kind of enclosure to seperate the front from the rear of the speaker, it will work for an under the seat application. But, I did note that the tech document tested the 8" with a .5cuft enclosure....recommendations? BTW, the 6" has a 2" depth, the 8" has a 2-1/4 depth.

Do you have specs on the Kove speakers...power handeling etc. I want some bass fill, but don't really want to sacrifice my trunk space for a sub.

Anyone else have experience with a mid-bass application...thoughts on bass response? satisfied?

Does anyone know if the new Blau-flat subs are available yet?