S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Custom Sub box

Old 03-15-2010, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Sub box

hi peoples, i am "in process" of building a sub box for my s that should let me keep my tools and put out some nice bass.

right now i am in the Plan stage, with a virtual sub box built and with the correct space required for my sub.

and what i am packing

A Realm audio 12" flat sub and since only takes .7 cu ft of sealed goodness it will fit flush in the trunk and be flush mounted.

also i was thinking if i have space, using 1/8 MDF to make a over lay so it has a type of grill so stuff that goes in the trunk does not damage it.

box uses 1/2 MDF except the top, its 3/4 so it can be routed down to allow it to be flush mounted. the rear corners will be rounded to match the contours of trunk drop. and since it is a daily i get to keep my tools and spare, amp will be mounted to the left of the spare after i reinforce the carpet/plastic with MDF/fiberglass.

thoughts comments?
Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a catch 22. You keep your spare, use the well for your sub, and lose the space to put the flat in the car if you get one. You ditch the spare, put the sub in its place and now have the space to put a flat if you get one but no spare to put on the car.

The only ones I have seen that allow you to both keep your spare and store your flat at the same time are the side mounted subs. But now you lose the ability to carry longer items in your trunk.

I am kinda stuck in this catch 22 right now. Trying to decide what I can live without. I am thinking for myself, ditch the spare, carry "fix-a-flat", and use both the spare area and trunk well for amp or amps and sub. OR, do the pass foot area sub. I don't need to shake the cars around me, and my setup right now is only missing bass. I also do not need too much more bass for what I listen to. Just something with a bit of a thump will be good enough for me.

If you do the "fix-a-flat" route, you might look into AAA or at least see if one of your credit cards or car insurance does road side. My insurance does road side for ~$12 a year. Unlimited pickups and 150 miles before you have to pay for mileage. It's worth it to me as the wife can't change a tire, and will just drive on it until she finds a shop. Ya, I know.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by operator207,Mar 16 2010, 08:26 PM
Its a catch 22. You keep your spare, use the well for your sub, and lose the space to put the flat in the car if you get one. You ditch the spare, put the sub in its place and now have the space to put a flat if you get one but no spare to put on the car.

The only ones I have seen that allow you to both keep your spare and store your flat at the same time are the side mounted subs. But now you lose the ability to carry longer items in your trunk.

I am kinda stuck in this catch 22 right now. Trying to decide what I can live without. I am thinking for myself, ditch the spare, carry "fix-a-flat", and use both the spare area and trunk well for amp or amps and sub. OR, do the pass foot area sub. I don't need to shake the cars around me, and my setup right now is only missing bass. I also do not need too much more bass for what I listen to. Just something with a bit of a thump will be good enough for me.

If you do the "fix-a-flat" route, you might look into AAA or at least see if one of your credit cards or car insurance does road side. My insurance does road side for ~$12 a year. Unlimited pickups and 150 miles before you have to pay for mileage. It's worth it to me as the wife can't change a tire, and will just drive on it until she finds a shop. Ya, I know.
I have thought of the "catch 22", and have set it all to be modular. If I get a flat I can pull the sub and put it on the passenger seat to get home. In the event that if I am carrying a passenger, I will have do what I have done in the past. Budgie the trunk closed till I get to a tire shop, its tacky but it works. And I would Never ever use the fix-a-flat or slime, that stuff can corrode the aluminum wheels and real PITA to clean out. I do how ever carry a small 12v air pump and sticky strings in case of a nails/small punctures with out taking off the tire.

And yes I have though heavily on nixing my lame spare and tool set, but as soon I do that, am gona need them.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:47 PM

Sub mounted in the passenger footwell is the one for me, no catch 22's then
Old 03-23-2010, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or mount the sub off to the side...? But this only allows for a 10".