S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Custom modified DJ Qubes Audio Control now works my DVD/NAV/Headunit.

Old 03-24-2003, 06:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Custom modified DJ Qubes Audio Control now works my DVD/NAV/Headunit.

Custom modified DJ Qubes Audio Control now works my DVD/NAV/Headunit.

I was sick of having to use the remote (enter) just to get past the stupid splash screen on the Navigation System. This motivated me to look into getting the OEM dash controller modified to work the Navigation system.

Being familiar with DJ Qubes Audio control for the dash I rang him to see if what I wanted to do could be done! Art was able to rig up a universal remote solution that looks OEM and works everything now, Headunit, NAV, and DVD. Thanks Art for being patient with my concept, and then rushing to get it done before the HIN show! (hurry up and wait!)

Basically Art worked his magic through a universal remote with ir leads coming off its circuit boards. Their are 3 pushbutton mini-switches (mounted stealth under dash) for each "universal" function, Headunit (has its own set of functions) NAV (you get the point) And DVD. The system works amazing I havent touched my remote in days! I cant control every function (not enough buttons) but like I said I haven't touched my remote in a while.

2 ir leads come off of the remote, one for the headunit ir (mounted stealth right on top of headunit, and one for the NAV system. The Navs signal is received by the screen. This made a mounting location a tricky process. Most locations could have been blocked by the body or hand. We ended up on the map light housing pointing straight down. So far signal is received 99% off the time.

All the work was done by Dj Qube (mod) and Sound City Odyssey in Glenside, PA.

Anyone with a DVD or NAV system if you want to lose your remote this work great!

More pictures from my latest stereo project revision.
http://homepage.mac.com/mikes2k/PhotoAlbum21.html

Old 03-24-2003, 06:44 PM

Received 789 Likes on 477 Posts

holy p00p, that's crazy.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:11 AM

Sorry to bump my own thread but I just needed to share how THRILLED I AM with this mod!!!

It works like a charm! I hated the fact that you HAD to use the remote for the NAV, its so great to be able to keep my hands on the wheel!
Old 03-29-2003, 12:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a question -

You have 3 buttons under the dash, I assume to change the "mode" of the learning remote to either radio, NAV, or DVD? Once in one of these modes, the factory dash buttons (with DJ's modified 5-way switch) control the chosen unit. Right?

So how many total IR commands does the system provide? Sounds like 8 commands x 3 modes = 24. Is that correct?
Old 03-29-2003, 01:10 PM

Yes, you are correct sir! Sorry for the confusion. 3 modes times 8 functions= 24 total ir commands!

I thought it would be plenty, but you know what I ran out of buttons pretty quick!
Old 03-29-2003, 02:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikes2k
[B]Yes, you are correct sir! Sorry for the confusion.
Old 03-29-2003, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a lot of need for any remote controls would be the touch screen. I don't his is (or is it?) I would imagine anyone putting in a new install of a nav in the S would use touchscreen interface.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:29 AM

I am not sure about that Lucid. I dont know how many NAV systems use touch-screen. I know Alpines does not. Well the OEM one they make for Honda does, but the after-market ones use a remote. And the DVD players are also all remote controlled I think.

The thing that takes up the most functions is the 5 way joystick of the NAV. (4 directions + enter)

Also need for NAV:
Menu
Cancel
Zoom in, out (2 functions)
Delete Dest.
Detour Route (not used alot)
ETC, ETC

Here is a picture of the bazzillion button new universal Alpine remote to give you some idea of extensive feature set. This thing has buttons on both sides as well as a 4 way toggle on the bottom to access each source function.

The DVD is a whole other can of worms with another set of obstacles! PM me if you want more details.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:56 AM

Kenwood uses DVD based touch screens on theirs. Very VERY easy to use. They have touch screen decks and touch screens that both mate to the Nav unit. Find a place to try these, you'll love em.

I'm waiting on the 915 unit from Excelon/Kenwood. Its the ultimate unit (due out this month). Tv, Am/Fm, DTS decoder, MP3, DVD, VCD, CD, CD-R, CDRW and 7" touch screen deck...

See www.kenwoodusa.com for a demo of their nav system. tres cool

Panasonic (i think) and Clarion are touchscreen but both don't have the Nav module out yet. Clarion does with the Joyride but I really don't care joyride.

The 1st Nav system I actually used was in a Hertz Lux. fullsize van (only way to road travel with 4-6 people) out west more than 3 years ago. CD based and only regional CA-AZ-NV. Touch screen though. Very easy to use - never took out the map once. I love these things.

How many times have you had to pull out a map and argue with your wife/GF over where to get off. oh sh!t theres construction... Marriage saver Miss a turn it kindly directs you to the next way on route rather than a hit on the head with a map you get.

Anyone want a very good Mp919 Deck? w/DCI controller?
Old 04-01-2003, 12:02 PM

that is slick...and sick.

Quick Reply: Custom modified DJ Qubes Audio Control now works my DVD/NAV/Headunit.