S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Consensus on best indoor speakers?

Old 11-21-2008, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consensus on best indoor speakers?

Looking to go Alpine iDA-X100 and indoor speakers only - any consensus on the best model? Should I also replace the tweeter. Not interested in amping or any other speakers just these - still primarily a street/track car.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:03 PM

I was about to post a similar question. My current stock left speaker sounds distorted, so I think it needs to be replaced.

Last night I picked up the Alpine CDA-9884 but not sure if it's worth going w/ aftermarket speakers b/c I don't plan to ever get an external amp. I'd like some input while while I am in the process too.

Leaning towards the Polk DB6501.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pick up the Diamond Hex S600's. $200 on ebay. Excellent speakers, plenty of low end. They're fine to run off the internal amp on your HU (I had mine run off my Eclipse CD7100 internal amp before I got the external amp wired in). I'm sure the Polks would be excellent choices as well.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:06 PM

Looking for new speakers for my S2000 also, seen some posts on the Diamond's with the low prices. Did a bit of research and many people say there are a lot of fakes and with a price of $200 which is quite a way below RRP (
Old 11-23-2008, 07:20 PM

Just installed the db5501 and they sound pretty good with the CDA-9884. Especially for just being powered off the HU. I think with an amp these will really come alive, but like I said I am not planning to install an amp in this car.

One problem I encountered is the supplied adapter ring increased the installed height, so I have a problem with my door cover fitment now.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:37 AM

[QUOTE=SlimJ GBR,Nov 21 2008, 05:06 PM] Looking for new speakers for my S2000 also, seen some posts on the Diamond's with the low prices. Did a bit of research and many people say there are a lot of fakes and with a price of $200 which is quite a way below RRP (
Old 11-24-2008, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by tan0116,Nov 23 2008, 08:20 PM
Just installed the db5501 and they sound pretty good with the CDA-9884. Especially for just being powered off the HU. I think with an amp these will really come alive, but like I said I am not planning to install an amp in this car.

One problem I encountered is the supplied adapter ring increased the installed height, so I have a problem with my door cover fitment now.
I dont' think headunit had enough umph to drive the components woofers. Sputknick is definitely more of a EJ than I am, but In my past, even with the most ensitive components they never really have the low range when powered with head unit.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by devilchrist,Nov 24 2008, 11:41 AM
I dont' think headunit had enough umph to drive the components woofers. Sputknick is definitely more of a EJ than I am, but In my past, even with the most ensitive components they never really have the low range when powered with head unit.
Very true. You'll have more oomph than a lot of component sets out there - but nothing against a set that's run off a dedicated amp.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:59 AM

I totally agree with you, but for those looing for a simple upgrade in sound clarity these are a great choice. Cleaner and clearer than the stock speakers for sure. I installed the HU right before installing speakers and that was the biggest improvement, at least through my good speaker. The blown speaker sound was further amplified making it sound worst. However, I don't think these sound underpower at all because they are can be turn up loud and clear. It doesn't sound like a concert hall, but it performs great for what it is (Noisey cabine w/o external amp).
Old 11-24-2008, 07:12 AM

I took out my carpet yesterday on the driver side and tapped along the bottom.. and it really sounds like a tin can.. I added few strips to dampen out the overall resonance of the floor and saw dramatic improvement.

I didn't cover the whole floor, just made long 3 ft long 2-4 inch strips and layed then on the floor with spaces in between. It made drastic difference, and didn't add whole lot of weight.

I can't wait till I do the passenger side and the doors. On the doors I"ll be adding closecell foam also

Quick Reply: Consensus on best indoor speakers?