S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Connect front AND rear speaker wires?

Old 04-28-2001, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we only have 2 speakers in the car, can we connect both the front and rear speaker wires to the existing front speaker connections? In other words, can we use the power meant for the non-existent rear speakers as additional wattage for the front speakers?

I am guessing that it is not possible, since the different channels could end up sourcing/sinking current to each other, but I have to ask.

Tanq
Old 04-28-2001, 11:43 AM

The short answer: Nope, can't do it.

What your talking about is called bridging... In order to do this your amp has to be 2ohm (stereo) stable. I'm pretty sure the head unit is not 2 ohm stable.

However, several speakers out there (the Kenwood KFC-600) have bi-wirable inputs and would allow you to take advantage of a seperate amp (I.e. front and back wires).
Old 04-28-2001, 02:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tanqueray
[B]Since we only have 2 speakers in the car, can we connect both the front and rear speaker wires to the existing front speaker connections?
Old 04-29-2001, 01:43 AM

This is something I was pursuing earlier. If anyone has tried this please post your results. If it works well I might still buy those Kenwoods even though the sound will probably be blocked with my leg still. Oh to have bi-wirable component sets.
Old 04-29-2001, 02:06 AM

The general rule is to never connect two output terminals of any kind with each other. Inputs are OK, but almost never outputs (bridgeable amps is one exception).

Using the rear and front outputs for a component speaker system may work, but you would either need extra dividing networks or built-in filters in the head unit to only send the correct frequency ranges to the speakers. Given that the component systems have a dividing network already and that the high-frequency speakers use very little power I don't see that you would gain very much by doing this though.

[grey]--------------------------o0o---------------------------[/grey]

[grey]2000 S2000 - 1998 VFR800 - 2000 Atos[/grey]
Old 04-29-2001, 08:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

OK...I have to ask. HEY PINKY! I've had this same question for a while. I agree with the previous posts and was all prepared to just "block" the rears. But when I was wiring up the beast there are clearly FR LFT/RT and RR LFT/RT. If the rears aren't used where is the signal going?

Thanks
Utah

P.S. Buy a Pinky's Mod...only way to go! It's the Muz Mat of the electronics upgrades.
Old 04-30-2001, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Utah S2K
OK...I have to ask. HEY PINKY! I've had this same question for a while. I agree with the previous posts and was all prepared to just "block" the rears. But when I was wiring up the beast there are clearly FR LFT/RT and RR LFT/RT. If the rears aren't used where is the signal going?
They're going nowhere...power IS being supplied to these outputs, but since they're not connected to anything...

You don't have to "block" the rear outputs (whatever you had intended by "blocking" them), just leave them open.
Old 05-01-2001, 09:21 PM

If I don't use bi-wireable speakers, I plan on using those rear outputs to go to a powered sub. This way I can use the front/rear control on the radio to adjust my levels.
Old 05-02-2001, 05:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DJRobNM
[B]If I don't use bi-wireable speakers, I plan on using those rear outputs to go to a powered sub.
Old 05-02-2001, 03:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Goldtrom
[B]The short answer: Nope, can't do it.

What your talking about is called bridging... In order to do this your amp has to be

Quick Reply: Connect front AND rear speaker wires?