S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

confused about modifry radio harness

Old 08-30-2008, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused about modifry radio harness

When on the modifry website I get confused about what I need. I see a DCI harness and a PNP harness. My concern is that i want the dash controls to still work. So i would assume the DCI harness right? But then what is the PNP harness for? I already have a radio harness for a s2000 but with out the extra wire for the dash controls. Cant i just cut the few wires on the dash control and tap them into the wire harness I have for my head unit. Basically same thing as the DCI harness but yes i know I would be cutting my wires. Not a issue for me. So in this case Where would i tap the wires from the harness off my dash control into? Im sure plenty of people have done this so just looking for input, opinions and answers. thanks

OH have a alpine IDA headunit if that matters
Old 08-30-2008, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PNP harness makes everything a snap-together proposition. Otherwise you need to wire in the DCI (single row of pins) yourself. I don't know, but assume, that the DCI harness must mate to it and provide loose wires? I was happy with the PNP quality for the price ($28 right?) but it was more crap to stuff behind the HU.

I made one modification in my PNP, splicing out the power line for a 10 A fused line run direct from the battery.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:30 AM

You can't just cut and splice your harness to the dash controls. The DCI has a small printed circuit board that is the interface between your dash controls and your HU. I bought the PNP(plug&play) for my Alpine. It took 15 minutes to install it and I didn't cut any wires. This thing works perfect and was well worth the money.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:25 AM

so i need to by both? the DCI harness for $90. and then also the PNP for another $ whatever it is? Or I can just use the radio harness I already bought and just hook up the HU and not have the dash controls but save $100.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you aren't buying the DCI? The harness is pointless without the DCI.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, now I understand your confusion. The DCI is a custom electronic device, not a harness. It is a "potted" module about 1"x2"x0.25" with a single row of pins on one side and four DIP switches. You need to wire it into your harness and his PNP is the easiest way.

edit - I have a cell phone photo of it in my junk blog. See http://rovingi.wordpress.com and scroll down to "Round Peg, Square Hole" post.

He also sells a speed-sensitive-volume connection kit separately. It is just a wire with splice kit and instructions but handy anyway (you will have to get behind passenger side dash to connect it. With the DCI it works great! Haven't adjusted mine off the defaults yet but just having ANY volume change with speed is awesome.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Aug 31 2008, 01:06 PM
Ah, now I understand your confusion. The DCI is a custom electronic device, not a harness. It is a "potted" module about 1"x2"x0.25" with a single row of pins on one side and four DIP switches. You need to wire it into your harness and his PNP is the easiest way.

edit - I have a cell phone photo of it in my junk blog. See http://rovingi.wordpress.com and scroll down to "Round Peg, Square Hole" post.

He also sells a speed-sensitive-volume connection kit separately. It is just a wire with splice kit and instructions but handy anyway (you will have to get behind passenger side dash to connect it. With the DCI it works great! Haven't adjusted mine off the defaults yet but just having ANY volume change with speed is awesome.
sounds very nice. thanks