S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Components for alpine 9886

Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Components for alpine 9886

Hey guys,

I am looking to buy an alpine 9886 but I'm not sure which components to get along with it. I've searched, but I'm still not sure which to get. I want to run the components off the head unit without an amp, so what should I look for in the speakers? Should I compare the output of the HU to the output of the components? I don't know what values to look at. Or if you guys know what brand of speakers would work well just off the HU that's be great!

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,704 Likes on 1,976 Posts

You'll need components with a high sensitivity rating.

Honestly though, keep the factory speakers if you are just replacing the radio. Aftermarket components need more power (amp) than the deck power.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:19 PM

Would a new HU even help with the sound quality?
Old 02-02-2008, 01:34 PM

Yeah a HU will definetly help with sounds quality and volume, plus you can hook up your ipod or aux and run mp3 cds or whatever you wanna do. I would suggest after you get the headunit to start saving for a nice amp and a good set of components. Don't just get the speakers, it kinda sucks without the amp. I never had an amped set of components until recently and it's just way nicer in every way. A lot of people don't want to amp cause of all the wiring, but do a search for knukonceptz on google and you can get everything from that guy for cheap. Nice stuff too. Also don't forget you're gonna need a modifry dci to use your dash controls. That is definetly huge too, you will want that. It's a money pit just like everything else related to cars ha ha. PM me if you need anything man.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:52 PM

Reviving this thread since im about to purchase the same head unit. So pretty much what your saying is the ONLY way to get good sound is to get the components and an amp? I figured I would be alright with just a head unit and a good set of speakers considering I have the shitty 01 speakers. If not ill just stick with stock, dont want to have to spend more than 500 just to be able to hear my stereo.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you need an amp if you want to hear the speakers top-down on the highway. Look at it this way, the spec on my Alpine 9887, IIRC, is only 18 W rms per channel. I can hear the improvement in my roll hoop speakers (fed from the HU for rear fill) but we're talking noticeable clarity and a LITTLE extra volume.

I dunno, are there speakers with enough sensitivity that 18 W is enough, top-down at speed?

I'm feeding Focal 165KPS door components from a 150 W rms/channel amp and I will say it is more than I really need (IMO). I can lose my hearing without much distortion and don't run anywhere near max volume even with the top down.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Sep 5 2008, 10:50 PM
I'm feeding Focal 165KPS door components from a 150 W rms/channel amp and I will say it is more than I really need (IMO). I can lose my hearing without much distortion and don't run anywhere near max volume even with the top down.
See I dont need all that. I always thought since the 01's have such crappy speakers that I would be able to get away with just a HU and some speakers. If I can at least turn the music loud enough for me to hear without distorting the sound like my stock setup does ill be set.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13,Sep 6 2008, 09:38 PM
See I dont need all that. I always thought since the 01's have such crappy speakers that I would be able to get away with just a HU and some speakers. If I can at least turn the music loud enough for me to hear without distorting the sound like my stock setup does ill be set.
I've been in the same boat since I got my alpine (9883) 1year ago.. Been running stock speakers ever since. It does distort at high volume (vol setting 20+). I can still hear the music top down, IMO it isn't clear but it does the job.

IMO get the head unit and speakers. If your still not happy get an amp down the road.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:35 PM

When I first installed my stereo into my S, I didn't have time to get the amp wired in. Had just the Eclipse CD7100 and Diamond Audio Hex S600s'. Plenty of sound on the highway with the top down (except for maybe WOT). Is it better with the amp? Sure. Is an amp required/necessary? Not at all.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:36 PM

you might want to consider the new Mobile Monitor line from Polk, the MM6501 for components or MM651 for coaxial (both 6.5"). These are both rated at a sensitivity of 94db, so should play reasonably loud with head unit power. an external amp will make any speaker sound better, but a speaker with higher efficiency will make the most of the amps in a head unit.

Quick Reply: Components for alpine 9886