S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Component speaker purchase advice

Old 10-29-2001, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently running the stock UK head unit with Infiniti 62-1i co-axial speakers.

I will be fitting my new Alpine 7878 head unit and Ai net changer later this week and am concerned that the Infinitis will be the "weak link"in the setup.

I am looking for some advice on better (component) speakers.

My shortlist is:

Infiniti Kappa Perfect 6.1
Dynaudio System 240 MkII
Focal Utopia 165W

I listen mainly to rock music and am trying to avoid a "bright" system. I unfortunately cannot audition the speakers in person as there are no local dealers and I have to get them through mail-order.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 10-29-2001, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't heard the other two, but the Infiniti's are a good speaker. For whatever reason, their highs are reletively smooth.

Anyhoo, you'll want an amplifier if you bother installing seperates. Most seperates run at sub 4ohm loads, and its just plain bad news for the audio quality if you run them off of deck power. Its also bad news for the deck.

The speakers you have are well matched for the deck. You just need to decide if you want the project to go further.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:49 AM

Good call on the components. I had drop in coaxials for a month before upgrading to components and it makes such a big difference. Haven't personally heard the other brands, but the Infinity components are very nice. My friend has them and I can say that they're better than my Polk components. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2001, 03:26 PM

IMHO, the Infinity components are not in the same class as the Focal and Dynaudio speakers... and you will notice the differences in price as well. If you are not going to upgrade your headunit and add a high-quality amplifier, the Infinities should be more than sufficient.

Of course my process of chosing is the audition... but you stated that you could not hear your choices. Maybe you should go with a speaker that a store can demonstrate for you in person (with your favorite CD in hand). Most people were hesitant purchasing a car that they could not test drive... but wouldn't you rather purchase a set of speakers that you could actually test-hear?

Change your criteria for selection to high-end component sets that you have access to...
Old 10-29-2001, 05:05 PM
jzr

I have the Kappa Perfects in the car now, but have used the Utopias in the past - I agree with shaner that the Infinities are not in the same class as Focal or Dynaudio. If you're going to run off the deck's power I'd say keep the speakers you have now; the unit's amplification will be your "weak link". The speakers you list all have at least 100W RMS power handling and really need proper amplification to sound their best.

If you can get your hands on a set of KEF speakers you'll be stoked. They're extremely smooth speakers, very high quality, and are made over there in the UK. You might even be able to find a semi-local place to give you a demo.

Good luck!
Old 10-29-2001, 10:57 PM

Great feedback, thanks for taking the time to post.

I think its safe to say that the consensus is that some offboard amplification is needed to justify this type of speaker.... would a Rockford Fosgate Power H250.2 (62.5W x 2 @ 4Ohm) be OK or should I be looking at even higher end kit... bear in mind that the UK may not have the same lines as the USA.

Thanks again!
Old 10-29-2001, 11:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Red,

I listened to some Polk and Diamond audio components in a shop in Salfords, Surrey, and was mightily impressed (I opted for co-ax. Diamond Audio speakers in the end as I was not feeling brave enough to put the car under the knife at that stage!) - I listened to lots of the more mainstream UK high end stuff as well - if you can, it is worth considering these manufacturers - I am sure our US friends will have some views on their relative merits........
Old 10-29-2001, 11:48 PM
jzr

Personally I'm a fan of Rockford amps (they're what I'm using now)- they're well matched to the Infinty or KEF speakers. If you go for the Focals or Dynaudios (pretty much the best speakers on Earth) most would say that the quality of your speakers exceeds the quality of your amplifier. There are certainly higher-end amp brands than Rockford, but since I have little personal experience using them I can't recommend one; RF is good enough for me.

I'd say if you already have the 250.2, keep it. If not, but still want to use a Rockford, get a higher powered 2-channel (360.2 or 500.2), or a 4 channel (800.4) if you've thought about adding a subwoofer. As good as all these speakers are, no system is complete without a sub.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:55 PM

I have thought about a 4 channel amp and bridging the rear channels to power a sub (do the RF amps allow this?)... it depends on whether some good soul will help ship the J&L custom fit 10" over to the UK for me - fingers crossed for Pinky's group buy!

On the flip side my other (interim) option would be to try running the Infiniti co-ax speakers for a while whilst adding a pair of rears and perhaps the sub... if I can't get the J&L unit I may look at an Infiniti Basslink active 10"...
Old 10-30-2001, 01:06 PM

I'm using 2 of my 4 channels on a 400 watt Helix to power a 10" sub. so, yes, it's possible.

On the component speakers, go with the Dyns, they blow something like infinity or clarion out of the water.

Dinnyin

Quick Reply: Component speaker purchase advice