S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Clarion vs Eclipse vs Alpine HU ?

Old 04-13-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clarion vs Eclipse vs Alpine HU ?

Hello everyone,

i dont know much about audio equipment but would like to get the best HU for 150-200. The three brands i have been thinking about were Eclipse, Clarion, and Alpine.

For the price range of around 220-240:

- Clarion DXZ785USB
- Eclipse CD-3200
- Alpine 9886

For the price range of around 150-200:

-Clarion DXZ585USB
-Eclipse CD-3100
-Alpine CDA-9884

i would like to stay in the 150-200 range or possibly wait a little longer for the other category to drop in price. out of the three which seems best?

Also i would like to get a set of aftermarket components and didnt want to add an amp. i was thinking about the POLK AUDIO DB6501 for about 100 bucks. I guess im looking for a set that sounds good with only the HU power running it.

if anyone has advice or knowledge of the products above please chime in!

thanks,
Steven
Old 04-13-2008, 07:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

since you have an 03 you have the tweeters in the doors and you'll be surprised how much of an improvement a headunit alone will make while still using the OEM speakers.

It would be a better choice to get a great headunit and keep the OEM speakers.

If your going to change the speakers then you really need to upgrade them as a whole. Get Polk Component Speakers and replace the oem tweeter at the same time. It would be a waste to just replace the door speaker.

Keep in mind if you upgrade the door speakers either with components or a co-axial speaker then ideally you'd want to run an amp to them to REALLY give the power they need to that top down cruising volume. Thats why i recommend keeping the oem speakers since they are efficient enough to run well off the power of an aftermarket headunit.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i cant really comment on those headunits since I have never used the clarion or the alpine. I can say that Eclipse does focus on Sound quality. So that would be my first choice.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan,Apr 13 2008, 11:17 PM
since you have an 03 you have the tweeters in the doors and you'll be surprised how much of an improvement a headunit alone will make while still using the OEM speakers.

It would be a better choice to get a great headunit and keep the OEM speakers.

If your going to change the speakers then you really need to upgrade them as a whole. Get Polk Component Speakers and replace the oem tweeter at the same time. It would be a waste to just replace the door speaker.

Keep in mind if you upgrade the door speakers either with components or a co-axial speaker then ideally you'd want to run an amp to them to REALLY give the power they need to that top down cruising volume. Thats why i recommend keeping the oem speakers since they are efficient enough to run well off the power of an aftermarket headunit.
Agreed on the waiting for better speakers.

While I did upgrade the door speakers with the HU upgrade, it was only b/c I was too lazy/didn't have time to complete the amp install until a few days later.

There's really no need to waste money on a set of door speakers to just "make do" until you can afford better. (learned that one the hard way)

Put the money into the HU you want. Save for another month or two or however long you need and pick up the door speakers you really want (that will go well amplified). And a few months later pick up your amplifier and you'll be set

Better than wasting install time and money on something that you'll wind up replacing at a later date anyway...
Old 04-15-2008, 08:35 PM

alpine hands down
Old 04-15-2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by lyx201,Apr 16 2008, 12:35 AM
alpine hands down
Not a chance.

Just because everyone uses it doesn't make it the best...
Old 04-18-2008, 10:01 AM

Alpine. everyone uses them for a reason. even bought me the low end 9872's and they blow away any other units i bought before (pioneer, sony)
Old 04-18-2008, 10:12 AM

i had clarion and alpine before and clarion is one of the worst hu ever. it was so laggy i almost pulled out my baseball bat.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:19 PM

I've had good luck with Alpine HU's before. I actually plan to get the 9884 for my s2000. However, I am nothing close to an audo guru.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Torqueless,Apr 18 2008, 02:01 PM
Alpine. everyone uses them for a reason. even bought me the low end 9872's and they blow away any other units i bought before (pioneer, sony)
Because they're easier to source than Eclipse? They're less expensive than Eclipse?

Alpine =/= > Eclipse when it comes to SQ.

I ran Alpine for years before switching to Eclipse, never go back.

Quick Reply: Clarion vs Eclipse vs Alpine HU ?