S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Cheap Ipod integration?

Old 07-31-2006 | 12:34 AM

Default Cheap Ipod integration?

I've seen a few Ipod installs on the S2k stock radio... most of them included adapters that cost about 200 bux...

I wuz wondering if anyone has successfully tried connecting the ipod through the CD changer plug in the back of the stock radio???

I don't need to be able to control the Ipod through the dashboard or be able to recharge... I just want the sound to come out of the speakers...

I'm thinking just connect the audio out connectors into a headphone jack to connect directly to the ipod? when in CD changer mode??? Doesn't sound too impossible right?
Old 07-31-2006 | 06:11 AM

I use a FM transmitter. It works pretty good for me
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1140394452644
Old 07-31-2006 | 09:11 AM

There are aux-inputs for a lot less than $200 that work with the stock radio. I bought one from this site:

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/stor.../honda_aux.html

A lot easier IMO than trying to make one yourself. A direct input is infinitely better sounding than an FM modulator as well.
Old 07-31-2006 | 01:21 PM
ayS

how's the sound with the fm transmitter? how does the docking on the ipod work? does he need to be sitting on top of the armrest?
Old 08-01-2006 | 05:28 AM

The transmitter sounds alright. Some people have had problems finding an open frequency but I haven't had that problem. I wouldn't say it is cd quality but it is better then the radio. The only thing I have noticed is occasional electrical interference noise. If I run the car up to 8 grand (ap2) I can definitly hear the noise. The first time I did this it kinda freaked me out. To dock the ipod I just sit it in there and it is ready to go. Also, the unit charges the ipod while it's docked. The transmitter is adjustable so it dosen't sit on the arm rest and it sits far enough back that I haven't had a problem of hitting it with my elbow either. If I get a chance I'll take some pictures and post them.
Old 08-02-2006 | 09:16 AM
ayS

Originally Posted by bankstreet,Aug 1 2006, 01:28 PM
The transmitter sounds alright. Some people have had problems finding an open frequency but I haven't had that problem. I wouldn't say it is cd quality but it is better then the radio. The only thing I have noticed is occasional electrical interference noise. If I run the car up to 8 grand (ap2) I can definitly hear the noise. The first time I did this it kinda freaked me out. To dock the ipod I just sit it in there and it is ready to go. Also, the unit charges the ipod while it's docked. The transmitter is adjustable so it dosen't sit on the arm rest and it sits far enough back that I haven't had a problem of hitting it with my elbow either. If I get a chance I'll take some pictures and post them.
thanks for the review. do you have any pics of the fm transmitter on your car?
Old 08-02-2006 | 07:45 PM

i have an 05 w/ a honda-aux. plugs into the cd changer in the back and then into the headphones jack on your ipod. works great. looking to upgrade my stereo so i'm looking to sell if you're interested. send me a pm if you are.
Old 08-03-2006 | 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by kfar09,Aug 2 2006, 07:45 PM
i have an 05 w/ a honda-aux. plugs into the cd changer in the back and then into the headphones jack on your ipod. works great. looking to upgrade my stereo so i'm looking to sell if you're interested. send me a pm if you are.
I live in Korea... r u willing to ship there? hehe

so you're talking about the AUX in the back of the Radio or back in the TRUNK??

Seriously though, this looks like something you could easily rig yourself... no??

Just find the lines for the sound inputs, solder some wires, then connect to your ipod...

I moved to korea recently and didn't bring any of my CDs

And all Korean radio is TALK TALK TALK... its mind numbing... and American Forces Network plays all these lame PSAs.. gah!!!
Old 08-03-2006 | 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by jonomo,Jul 31 2006, 12:34 AM
I've seen a few Ipod installs on the S2k stock radio... most of them included adapters that cost about 200 bux...

I wuz wondering if anyone has successfully tried connecting the ipod through the CD changer plug in the back of the stock radio???

I don't need to be able to control the Ipod through the dashboard or be able to recharge... I just want the sound to come out of the speakers...

I'm thinking just connect the audio out connectors into a headphone jack to connect directly to the ipod? when in CD changer mode??? Doesn't sound too impossible right?
this is what you want. it only cost $140. i have a $20 cupon, let me know if you decide to order one.
Old 08-03-2006 | 09:27 PM

The problem with aux input options is that they don't charge the ipod and they require that you turn your ipod all the way up, which in turn severely shortens battery life. To both listen and charge you would also have to make two connections which is a pain in the ass. You could use something like this...

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=149006

If you already have an aux input and it will charge and amplify the ipod and it can be had for $20.

But that means for us factory HU people that we have to buy the $90 aux adapter first which puts us at $110, not much cheaper than the $130 USASpec module.

Quick Reply: Cheap Ipod integration?