S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Cap recommendations

Old 05-25-2005, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cap recommendations

I finally put in an Optima Yellow Top and that made a shockingly huge difference to my sound quality, especially the bass. Now, I realize that I still need more power to my subs. Would a capacitor do the trick? How large are you guys running? I'm thinking about a 2 or 5 farad Soundstream cap.

2 Farad cap - $159:

5 Farad cap - $219:

The price difference is small enough that it looks like the 5 farad cap is the way to go. Can the car power that okay? Does it have to charge up everytime you turn on the car?
Old 05-25-2005, 05:06 PM

Edit: Apparently I'm a dumbass.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:37 PM

Ok, time to get on the soap box again!

Read this: What Capacitors Do

Wait till the smoke clears.

Then think of it this way, it's not how loud it will play but how much control the amp has over the speaker.

Try this test, listen to your favorite track on a stock car system as loud as it will play but still sound reasonably good and undistorted, now add a Cap and listen to it again.

You will be able to play it louder.

All amps have Caps, even head units, they just don't have very big ones.

I am powering the front speakers off the head unit in my truck and have an amp for the sub, there is a .5 farad cap behind the radio under the dash, and if I disconnect it, the system sounds like ass.

Don't ask whether to buy one, just buy it and use it in some listening tests, if you can't tell the difference then return it.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't ask whether to buy one, just buy it and use it in some listening tests, if you can't tell the difference then return it.
ah... the proverbial butt dyno.

from the same site he linked... (same page actually, towards the bottom)
This is because there has been some discussion as to whether a capacitor is a help or a hinderence when it comes to keeping the voltage at a higher level than without it. Of course, if you ask someone that's spent more than $100 on a capacitor if it helped, they'll tell you that it has. Why on earth would someone 'fess up' to wasting that much money on 'snake oil'. I've yet to see a capacitor increase the SPL in any system.

how much power are you running to your sub flitcroft? if the answer is less than 1,000 Wrms. my answer is no. if above 1,000 Wrms... we can discuss...
Old 05-26-2005, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chadwick,May 25 2005, 08:06 PM
Most of the audio guys on this board will tell you a capacitor is not necessary on most setups. The car has to charge the cap each time the cap discharges, so it won't help problems like dimming (of course, you didn't mention that as a reason for getting a cap).

Can't really get more detailed for you, because I'm afraid I might not be completely informed, but while I'm on the fence on whether a cap is necessary, my audiophile friends and the folks on here will advise you against it.
Well I'm not going to advise you against it.

We put one in my brothers car that had a dimming problem and wouldn't you know it, as soon as we added the cap the dimming stopped

But yeah they don't do anything right...
Old 05-26-2005, 10:54 AM

However I do agree with Phil that you need to be pulling a good amount of power to make it worth it.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BLING BLING!!!

40Farad!

Honestly, Id recommend you spend 60 bucks on the soundstream powerplant. That will monitor how much effective amps you are drawing. If the number is relatively low (a cap wont do sh!t).....its a good investment, and can save you $$. However, if you see major amp draw spikes, a cap might just be your solution.
Powerplant:
Old 05-26-2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by darkknight1999,May 26 2005, 02:53 PM
Well I'm not going to advise you against it.

We put one in my brothers car that had a dimming problem and wouldn't you know it, as soon as we added the cap the dimming stopped

But yeah they don't do anything right...
Whoa, sorry about jumping the gun earlier. I recall several posts on here about a year ago discussing the pros and cons of a cap. Maybe I'll use the search function later and find them.

And I'd like to recant my statement earlier about it not helping the dimming of lights or that caps don't do anything. I didn't say that they don't do anything, but I did say they wouldn't help a light issue. They help for some, not for others. I apologize.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:20 AM

yeah... I hope that didn't sound to strong, but to say they don't help dimming just isn't accurate. It will help some setup's more than others.

They're are pro's and con's but in the end it comes right down to the person's setup. Different equipment in different cars will act.. well differently. It depends on many different things.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by darkknight1999,May 26 2005, 03:20 PM
yeah... I hope that didn't sound to strong, but to say they don't help dimming just isn't accurate. It will help some setup's more than others.

They're are pro's and con's but in the end it comes right down to the person's setup. Different equipment in different cars will act.. well differently. It depends on many different things.
Nah, I didn't realize I made such an "absolute" statement. Thanks for keeping me in check

Quick Reply: Cap recommendations