S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Budget Solution

Old 03-12-2005, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 9833 is a great HU with loads of control and a real wattage rating.

SO, get the 9833, or any other good Headunit, and DO NOT GET NEW FRONTS. yet.

Install the headunit with your stock '04 speakers.

I drove my car this way for months when i was shopping for front components. My stereo sounded heaps better, mate, even without an amp and new fronts. The pre '04 speakers are shoddy, the 04s aren't the greatest, but they're not cardboard. The increase in clean power alone will astound you.

Amping your stock fronts will destroy them.

And adding an amp to a bad headunit is like putting better suspension in my minivan. Sure it will handle better, but it's a minivan so it will never handle well.

The stock HU was not designed to be amped. It simply does not have a clean signal. Many people respected on this board have tried this only to find that their stereo was louder but sounded worse. Flitcroft is only one example.

So you've got a new headunit and stock speakers that aren't bad. Your stereo sounds better and you can cruise to your tunes. You might be willing to stop at this point, and save money for smokes and beer, or new wheels.

But if you aren't happy with the sound yet, shop around for good fronts and buy an amp that overpowers them by about 30%. This way you can tune your amp (gains) to your liking and give your good front speakers headroom. They will sound loads better with too much power, rather than not enough. THE WORST THING YOU CAN DO IS UNDERPOWER YOUR SPEAKERS.

At this point decide if you want to go all the way and get a sub amp combo.

You can add rear speakers through the lucid panels, or s-pods at any time. Even wth a stock headunit.

The rears should be powered by your Headunit. Get relatively cheap speakers, because you won't listen to them, but you will hear them. Let your fronts do the brunt of your stereo work. They've got better placement, and the front is where the sound is supposed to come from. You are building a stereo not a surround sound system. If you are running four speakers, use your fader and bring your sound to the front.

To recap:
1. An amp with a stock HU more trouble than it's worth.
2. Get a new HU first with Modifry's DCI.
3. If you need to, upgrade your fronts, get good fronts that require an amp, over power by 30%
4. You can add rears at any time.
5. A sub is best added when getting new fronts and amp.

That should help