S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Budget Solution

Old 02-27-2005, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget Solution

Greetings:

I'm looking for a budget option to improve the '05 S2000 stereo. I've spent a couple hours reading through past posts and the sticky, and nothing really addressed my situation. My objective would be to have sufficient volume to hear the stereo on the highway with the top down, windows open, and passing an 18 wheeler.

My first thought would be to buy an amp. Does anyone have experience keeping stock hu and speakers with just an amp? Would the stock speakers maintain their quality level.

Or, would I be better off upgrading the HU [The Alpine 9833 seems to have had a price reduction.] I'm just afraid if I go this route I'll soon have satellite, iPod connectivity, speakers. and perhaps an amp. I'll also see my bank account drained on things I want as opposed to need! I confess I'm partly worried as a covertible means electronics are easily lifted, too.

One last question: anyone have experience with Kenwood? I only see mention of Alpine, Pioneer, Sony and Clarion.

I appreciate all thoughts.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:30 AM

Arguably, all you'll really need is new front speakers and possibly the addition of rear speakers to be able to hear the music at speed w/ the top down. Heck, I can hear it with a completely stock setup.

Beyond that, it's a matter of how good you want it to sound, and what accessories you want.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a headunit. If you are still unhappy, we'll work from there.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:07 PM

The stock system has been a bone of contention for me as well. When I bought my MY04 I had the headrest speakers installed, they do help a great deal, however, there are a lot of better ways to spend your hard earned dollar and I wouldn't do it again if given the chance to start over.

Like others have mentioned, I think that my next sound upgrade will be replacement door speakers and a new head unit. This isn't ideal, however, I believe will offer the most bang for the buck.

Mi dos centavos
Old 02-27-2005, 03:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a different opinion. I believe you will get what you need within your parameters with a small two channel amp and some new door speakers. Total cost less then $500.

If you expect you will eventually want a full system then it would be wise to get high quality products. If you don't have such high ambitions consumer level amp and speakers will be more than adequate.

If you go for a headunit you won't get anywhere near the power and you'll still be driving it through sh!t speakers
Old 02-27-2005, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chadwick,Feb 27 2005, 02:30 PM
Arguably, all you'll really need is new front speakers and possibly the addition of rear speakers to be able to hear the music at speed w/ the top down. Heck, I can hear it with a completely stock setup.

Beyond that, it's a matter of how good you want it to sound, and what accessories you want.
Come on now...

Like Dave said start with a new headunit and work from there. But the new HU will make a world of difference. Then if you want cleaner sound upgrade your front speakers.

But if you keep your stock deck no matter what speakers you get you will still have a stock crappy HU producing the sound. Crap in = crap out. Get a new HU first then move up from there.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by darkknight1999,Feb 27 2005, 10:59 PM
Come on now...

Like Dave said start with a new headunit and work from there. But the new HU will make a world of difference. Then if you want cleaner sound upgrade your front speakers.

But if you keep your stock deck no matter what speakers you get you will still have a stock crappy HU producing the sound. Crap in = crap out. Get a new HU first then move up from there.
lol

The stock HU is crap, but what he said he "needed" from a setup, he seemed to want to stay away from an aftermarket HU.

I think the HU should be the first changed, which is what I did.

I'm not toking the pipe tonight, I swear.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Feb 27 2005, 04:54 PM
I have a different opinion. I believe you will get what you need within your parameters with a small two channel amp and some new door speakers. Total cost less then $500.

If you expect you will eventually want a full system then it would be wise to get high quality products. If you don't have such high ambitions consumer level amp and speakers will be more than adequate.

If you go for a headunit you won't get anywhere near the power and you'll still be driving it through sh!t speakers

It's what I did
Old 02-28-2005, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upgraded mine for around 450 dollars:

Clarion ProAudio HU ($160)
Blaupunkt speakers ($80)
Rockford Fosgate amp ($100 - slightly used from a friend)
Orion Extreme 10" sub w/box ($100 - my audio guy had a brand new one that he wasn't going to use in his car so he parted with it for a low price)

I wasn't going for competition level sound and am extremely satisfied with this setup. Most basic upgrades would be HU and speakers, which would cost around 250-300 for a quality setup. Stock speakers are a joke and they look like they were made out of construction paper. Of course after this I just had to get a 6 disc cd changer and satellite radio, which tacked on some extra $$$. but it CAN be done effectively on a tight budget, and its well worth it.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:04 PM

I've been doing research, and I'm at a breaking point. The price/feature list is pointing me to the Alpine 9833. Anyone have comments? What would I gain from going to something more expensive like the 9855 ? I'll probably add ipod [either by cord or box] and satellite

I plan on replacing the speakers with something in the $250 range. I don't have specifics as I haven't heard anything yet.

Would I need an amp?

I'd love to read some debate!

Quick Reply: Budget Solution