S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Budget Headunit/Amp Reccomendations?

Old 02-17-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Budget Headunit/Amp Reccomendations?

I'm looking to replace the factory headunit in our 00 soon and haven't researched cd players etc for quite some time. I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a headunit based on the following criteria:

200 bucks or less (Used is fine)
Ability to keep left side dash controls
Aux in for Ipod hookup
Line out for a 4 channel amp to power 4 infinity co-axial speakers

Also there is currently a 2 channel Alpine amp in the spare tire installed by the previous owner. It is only powering the front speakers since the rear ones installed behind the seats were done much later. The amp is using a line-out convertor to the factory headunit so quality isn't top notch.

I'm looking for a decent budget 4 channel amp that would fit in the spare tire to power all 4 speakers. I imagine an aftermarket HU using a real line-out connection and an amp that powers all 4 speakers will sound 10X better.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any good HU has the things you describe, except for maintaining the leftside controls.

To keep it under 200 and keep controls, you have 200 - (cost of DCI) to spend on a HU. Just make sure it has the seperate rear and front outputs in the back and the aux in. It should be a little less since you don't need it to have a subwoofer output.

There will be tons of HU's that match those criteria, just find one that yall like.

Oh yea, panasonic is the best!
Old 02-17-2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by DFWs2k,Feb 17 2006, 12:29 PM
any good HU has the things you describe, except for maintaining the leftside controls.

To keep it under 200 and keep controls, you have 200 - (cost of DCI) to spend on a HU. Just make sure it has the seperate rear and front outputs in the back and the aux in. It should be a little less since you don't need it to have a subwoofer output.

There will be tons of HU's that match those criteria, just find one that yall like.

Oh yea, panasonic is the best!
Yeah I had a panny in my civic, and i had no complaints. I sold it to a friend for 50 bucks when his truck got broken into and then it got broken into again a month later

Any specific model reccomendations?
Old 02-17-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Head Unit:
Alpine 9856 - has Alpine's iPod full-speed capability for $199

Amp:
Hifonics Titan 8800 - 4CH amp that puts out 110wrms x4 or have the rear channels bridged for 440wrms into 4 ohms. great amp for driving cabin speakers and sub.
Last I checked it was $179 on sonicelectronix.com

DCI:
Modifry DCI - check the marketplace on this forum. best there is for the S2000. it expands on the controls already available to include CD track selection, tuning the FM radio, speed sensitive volume (MUST have in a convertible), etc. I think they are around $100 (maybe cheaper depending on membership discounts).

Most people do not amp the rear speakers (unless they are the Lucid Panels)because of the relative proximity to your head. I am running the fronts at 110wrms and the S-pods off my Alpine HU, and it STILL needs to be faded +5 to the front to balance it out.

I imagine an aftermarket HU using a real line-out connection and an amp that powers all 4 speakers will sound 10X better.
BINGO!

John
Old 02-17-2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Feb 17 2006, 03:34 PM
Head Unit:
Alpine 9856 - has Alpine's iPod full-speed capability for $199

Amp:
Hifonics Titan 8800 - 4CH amp that puts out 110wrms x4 or have the rear channels bridged for 440wrms into 4 ohms. great amp for driving cabin speakers and sub.
Last I checked it was $179 on sonicelectronix.com

DCI:
Modifry DCI - check the marketplace on this forum. best there is for the S2000. it expands on the controls already available to include CD track selection, tuning the FM radio, speed sensitive volume (MUST have in a convertible), etc. I think they are around $100 (maybe cheaper depending on membership discounts).

Most people do not amp the rear speakers (unless they are the Lucid Panels)because of the relative proximity to your head. I am running the fronts at 110wrms and the S-pods off my Alpine HU, and it STILL needs to be faded +5 to the front to balance it out.

BINGO!

John
Hrmm, so would you say that I basically just need to change the HU to an aftermarket one and get the modrifys and call it a day? I think the reason the quality isn't great right now is the line out convertor from the amp to the factory hu.

Would you just reccomend running the rear infinitys off the apline/eclipse HU as fill and keeping the same 2 channel amp to power the fronts? I figured since i'm going to be changing things around I might as well just change the amp to a 4 channel to power all 4 speakers.

BTW my speakers aren't in S pods or anything they are directly BEHIND the seats mounted about halfway down if that makes a difference.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might want to amp them, as they are the lucid type speakers. As far as upgrading the HU, YES! Right now you are just amplifying the same garbage signal from the stock deck. Upgrade that first. If you do not have the $ for it all at once, personally, I would upgrade the HU and live with the amp you got for now. In a month or so you can upgrade to the 4CH amp.

Dunno how the lucid panels will sound amplified......ask Darkknight that one, as those are what he has installed. I have the S-pods in the roll hoops.

John