S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Brake Light Problem

Old 08-20-2007, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Light Problem

Well, I did some searching on problems with brake lights, but nothing sounded quite like what I had. I was driving up to Chicago on Friday to move into my apartment, when a guy on the expressway told me my brake lights weren't working, which was definitely a new development. Anyway, it appears that my lights only come on sometimes if I step on the brake pedal REALLY hard and fast and sometimes the lights in the tail lights have a very dim glow and the LED's on the trunk lid are completely off. However, (where it gets interesting) if I un-plug both tail light brake light bulbs (it has to be both, no combination of just 1 works), then the LED trunk lid lights work flawlessly. The brake light fuse is fine, and changing the tail light bulbs at first seemed to fix it, but now the problem is happening again. I'm thinking there is a loose connection in the switch, but when I looked at the switch, I couldn't remove it for further inspection. Any help is much appreciated, and if required, I might be able to meet up with someone else from the Chicago area to have them look at it... it would just probably have to be on a Saturday or Sunday (unless it was today or tomorrow).
Old 08-20-2007, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol dude your in luck , i'll be in chicago on thursday and friday... if you've got time to meet with me i'll be willing to help... I"m staying at either the crown plaza , or hyatt...
Old 08-20-2007, 05:46 PM

Well, I believe it to be caused by a bad Stoplight Switch, because today I was able to take it out and something inside rattled when I shook it. If you think that might be the issue, I could go ahead and order one tonight or tomorrow and it should get here by Thursday or Friday if you wanted to check after I installed it, imdarkrider.

Here's a map I put up on Facebook to show my fellow college mates where I live, but it should be just as handy for you:

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-..._22450_6248.jpg

Do you think you'd be able to stop by my apartment, or would I be driving somewhere to meet you? My apartment isn't TOO far of a walk from downtown, and I've got a parking spot in the "garage" (aka basement) of the building with room to work on it.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:03 PM

PM me your adress , i'm staying off of michgan ave close to I think the planetarium??
Old 08-28-2007, 06:10 PM

Just to let you guys know, I ordered a new Stop Brake Switch or whatever that thing is called, and my brake lights are working flawlessly! Unfortunately imdarkrider and I never got to meet up due to the crazy storm that hit Chicago.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:28 PM

dude i'm soooo sorry , I thought i'd be able to make it but that storm tore me a new one... it took me 2 hours when I got on 90 to get off my exit at lake street... hour late for my meeting and then the next day I figured you didn't want a call at 8am :-)