S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Better speakers for the Front or Rear?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better speakers for the Front or Rear?

So im about to do the lucid rear speaker mod and i just bought a set of Apline SPR-60C still in the box and currently have JL C2 speakers in the front already installed.

i was curious what ppl would believe to be a better lay out for sound, alpines at the front or JLs to stay in the front?
I have an AP1 so no tweeters in the front unless i make a spot for them in front of the door handles (but that would only be necessary if alpines go in the front)

Im not fussed with the extra work as long as it'll all sound good in the end, what do you guys think?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think more power goes to the front speaker, so that would be where I place the better set.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 PM

It is my understanding that the front stage should hold the presence. Any other sound is fill, and should not equally compete as the source of sound. Im going 6.5 in the doors and 5.25 behind the seat. Both as components, with the tweeters moved off to their own active channel. I'm a bit concerned that the rear tweeters may draw too much attention to the back. I'm also concerned about the 6.5 and 5.25 running on the same channel, the smaller speaker will be driven harder so may also appear too loud/distracting.

I forgot to ask, why did you pick the Alpine speakers? Crutchfieldsays they are 6.5 to 6.75". Is this one of the uniquely small magnet/basket speakers that is known to fit? I'm struggling with which speakers to put back there and I really find it hard to commit to $300 JL C5-5.25's when I can't be sure I can get them to fit. To be honest, I'm not even sure the JL C5's are where I want to go, but I could noticeable tell they were better (imho) than the lower C versions.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by jguthrie
It is my understanding that the front stage should hold the presence. Any other sound is fill, and should not equally compete as the source of sound. Im going 6.5 in the doors and 5.25 behind the seat. Both as components, with the tweeters moved off to their own active channel. I'm a bit concerned that the rear tweeters may draw too much attention to the back. I'm also concerned about the 6.5 and 5.25 running on the same channel, the smaller speaker will be driven harder so may also appear too loud/distracting.

I forgot to ask, why did you pick the Alpine speakers? Crutchfieldsays they are 6.5 to 6.75". Is this one of the uniquely small magnet/basket speakers that is known to fit? I'm struggling with which speakers to put back there and I really find it hard to commit to $300 JL C5-5.25's when I can't be sure I can get them to fit. To be honest, I'm not even sure the JL C5's are where I want to go, but I could noticeable tell they were better (imho) than the lower C versions.
i basically chose the apline speakers because they have a reduced magnet size and will fit with the lucid mod and not have to cut any metal in the car, although as they are component speakers im more inclined to put them in the front and move the tweeter to the pillars but honestly im not sure what to do anymore, these damn ap1's just dont have a perfect spot for tweeters.

i also thought of putting the tweeters on the back pannel with the rear speakers but then thats kinda a waste having them so close to a speaker.