S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Best iPod adapter/head unit

Old 04-15-2005, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best iPod adapter/head unit

Help? I'm not electronically savvy so write in plain and simple english that I can understand.

I have a 3rd generation iPod (buttons across the top). I would like to listen to my iPod music on my car stereo. I do NOT like the sound quality from the iTrip since it uses the radio frequency.

What are my alternatives? I hear I need an "adapter" what is that and which one is good? What should I look for? Where do you install it? Where do you install the iPod?

Some say they replaced the Honda stereo? with a new "head unit?" Is that what "head unit" means...i.e. a new receiver/stereo? If not, what does it mean? Why would I be better off with a new stereo? Because it will display the names of the songs like on my ipod? Anything else it will do?

Thanks in advance. Sorry if this was all posted before. But perhaps it's time again.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

There are some nice charger/connectors for iPods to work with different head units (yes, your assumption is correct). They plug in like a CD Changer and mimic it's function so they can be controlled by the head unit.

Of course the functionality is limited by the head unit. The stock head unit can't show track names but others can.

http://www.dension.com/icelink_info.htm

http://www.neocaraudio.com/prod-ion.html
Old 04-18-2005, 10:11 PM

Funnyesq,

I just bought an "adapter" for this very thing, and I have the same ipod as you, 3rd gen (not that it matters).

Heres what I did: There is a company called logjamelectronics. I ordered an "adapter" called the hon-aux which plugs into the back of your stock stereo. Extremely easy to do. You plug it into the place where a factory CD changer would go. Once plugged in, you need to connect an RCA cable which can be purchased at BEST BUY or Circuit City, etc. One side plugs into the adapter, and the other to the ipod. And there you go, the sound quality is awesome! (compared to the fm transmitter).

I'm not a real stereo junkie so this was a great solution for me. I don't mind not having the song names show up on the stereo face, and for right now, the stock stereo is fine for me. This entire set up cost about 70 bucks.

If you have more questions, just post or PM me and I'll walk you through it.

Hope that helps,

Chris
Old 04-19-2005, 12:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did a little search....
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/densionicelink.html

2005 s2000 and Iphoto 30

looks like it will all work together
Old 04-19-2005, 03:55 PM

Get the neo -ion i have it and it sounds great. Its kinda expensive but it is well worth it if you like your music to sound good.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:10 AM

the logjam will also sound good.

bu there are more intergrated solutions that offer better options. I've got the kca 420ii with an Alpine HU. And yes, it's nice to find songs throught the head unit, and it sounds good, it's still clunky. I've heard that the pioneer unit, the ib100 is faster and more user friendly. but i haven't used one yet.

With the kca 420i it's a pain to find artists for some reason. i can find my playlists all day, but to scroll through artists is just a bit of a pain. plus my ipod is just about full.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:39 AM

Neo works and sounds great, and provides an audio and power connection with one cable. Expensive, but worth it IMO to have one wire coming out of the console instead of a mess of wires cluttering up the interior, and it works with your stock HU.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:28 PM

What about this Honda PIE thing coming out any day for my 2003 S? Perhaps that is the answer?
Old 04-20-2005, 03:36 PM

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehon98pcpod.html

The above is what I found. Anyone think this might be a better solution than the Alpine 420i? If I understand correctly, the PIE will allow me to see my songs on my car stereo digital display (the one that came with my S) whereas the 420i will not unless I also get an Alpine car stereo compatible with their adapter. I'm soooo confused. Please don't think I don't deserve my S because of it. I love it.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:36 AM

[QUOTE=funnyesq,Apr 20 2005, 06:36 PM]http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehon98pcpod.html

The above is what I found.

Quick Reply: Best iPod adapter/head unit