S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Best Alarm?

Old 11-14-2006, 04:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best Alarm?

Hey,
I am picking up my S2k on saturday and, i was reading about this compustar alarm on the forums and it sounds pretty good. I have also heard about the Mobile Q? GPS tracking system i believe its called. What alarms do you guys use or what do you guys think the best alarm out there is for under 300 bucks. I want a good alarm that will keep the car safe. I saw the compustar on ebay pretty cheap like 179-295.00 and ill get it installed somewhere. THanx for the info peace
Old 11-14-2006, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6~7 years ago, when i was in Gr 11 high school. my classmate he was driving a brand new Lotus V8 twin turbo. the day after he bought the vehicle, he immediately purchased an aftermarket alarm system. at the time i did know what brand of the alarm was, all i knew was the remote control was very very cool. His remote was the same size as a credit card (very thin piece of card), and on top of the remote, it has a huge LCD display showing the surrounding of the vehicle. You can customize the sensitivity of the alarm. What he did was anyone is around his car within 10", the car would physically beep once. if the person keeps approaching the vechile the alarm would go off accordingly. On the remote, he could see where a object or a person is approaching from.

I'd like to know what kina alarm system he was using but I had lost contact with him years ago.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

11th grade and driving a lotus esprit...? where did YOU go to school? lol
Old 11-14-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by WashabiS2K,Nov 14 2006, 05:19 PM
11th grade and driving a lotus esprit...? where did YOU go to school? lol
well, this is a very ironic part.

he got his brand new 95' NSX with T top and customized CF interior when he was 16, and it was 6 months prior to his learner's permit.
when we went to high school together I was 17, one night he crashed his 6 month old NSX b/c he was drunk driving and racing with a black guy in downtown Vancouver.. he totalled his car, and I was so curios if i could buy out the remining pieces and fix it for myself. Yet, no luck, he totally crashed the baby and he was not even hurt at all. (NSX has very rigid frame). next morning he missed the morning class but he showed up around lunch time, and i asked him what's going on? (he had a small bandage on his forehead) he said, "I totalled my NSX"..then we went to the afternoon class together. He brought a Car N Driver magizine, and he was asking me "what kina of car i should get next?" I was like...hm..i duno what's ur budget range?..he was like, I duno, but i dont want Porsche, MB, BMW...etc. then i said, what about F355, Lotus, or another NSX? he said, well i've driven NSX, so i'm probably not goin' to get another one; F355 is a little off the budget (240k CND) at the time. Then i said, go for Lotus Espirt V8 then. The next morning he drove a brand new yellow Lotus Esprit to school and I was like He let me step in his car and took me out for a ride. (that block everyone was going to a public library by walking only 2 of us were driving Lotus)..haha....anyways, the 2nd gear went up to 130km/h and funny part was the pessenger side has a little hook where you can pull when the car is about to accelerate. He warned me before he push on the gas, and i pulled the hook, the head rest just popped just like an air bed...(very interesting)...

a week after, he spent another $15k to pull out all OEM stereo and speakers to put new customized ones in...the following week, he replaced another bigger turbo with the OEM ones. the ironic part of the story was, he is living in a 4,800 sq. ft 1 level big ass house, but his mom was driving a old Toyota Camry...

from what i know, he spents on ave $2k a night in a club every night over the weekend and he got to sleep with diff girls every night...

I've seen many of my friends driving nice cars. one of my friends he used to own

1. 911 turbo - show off + track
2. NSX - date with his gf
3. BMW 540i - for grocery shopping...

i was like.....540i grocery shopping cart ?...OMG>.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:40 PM

ok well i wish i was rich...haha now come on alarm info.....
Old 11-14-2006, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First check the elctronics section with and search, ton of info on alarms.

Only do Compustar if you want remote start also. Otherwise there are less complicated sytems out there with the same features. If you do want Compustar, do the one with spread spectrum. No point in having a two way if your always out of range or if it cant recieve signal through a building. The spread spectrum unit has over a mile of range.

If you just want an alarm, do the new Viper 5900 spread spectrum. A mile of range, cheaper, and easier to install than the Compustar.

Dont buy the sytems off ebay or anywhere on line. You can get the same deal buying from a good retailer, not Circut city or Best Buy. Its not the alarm that costs a lot its the install labor. Most shops really dont want to mess with stuff you bring in to them. They might charge more for the install so youll lose out in the long run.

Expect to pay about 800 or so for the Compustar installed and about 650 for the Viper including parts if you do remote start.

BTW you dont need GPS tracking, this isnt a Civic, people dont steal the whole car, just the seats.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:11 PM

Well i wouldnt think they would strip the WHOLE car but i wanted to be on the safe side and i would also love to catch them in the process. I know alot of people have viper alarms and i havent heard alot about compustar but it sounds like a good alarm brand. I want a good alarm with a back up battery. I will also have other stuff done to the car but the pager would be great for when i cant see the car. I dont see why it wouldnt be a good idea to buy it off ebay its 200 bucks for the 6000 feet lcd pager alarm. I dont think it would cost more than 250 to install it. Thanx for the info though and as far as the seats go i will be ordering seat locks as well. Thanx alot peace.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by revhi,Nov 14 2006, 05:49 PM
Dont buy the sytems off ebay or anywhere on line. You can get the same deal buying from a good retailer, not Circut city or Best Buy. Its not the alarm that costs a lot its the install labor. Most shops really dont want to mess with stuff you bring in to them. They might charge more for the install so youll lose out in the long run.
Listen to the man, installation can be a bitch and cost a lot. Plus many installers won't even touch a used alarm, or even an alarm that you didn't buy from them (at least many of the ones that you would want to work on your car).
Old 11-15-2006, 09:03 AM

Well this is my opinion.

I feel that installing an alarm just gives theives something else to take out of your car and sell. Seriously when is the last time you heard a car alarm going off and someone actually investigated what was wrong?

Speaking as someone that had their ENTIRE S2000 stolen, it does happen, and they will strip the car of EVERYTHING. Headlights, tailights, hood, bumpercaps, seats, radio, shift knob, airbags, wheels, wheel locks, convertible top, convertible frame and motors, spare tire, billit dead pedal, pretty much anything that doesn't have a serial number on it that can be traced.

They will complete all this in about 12 hours or less. My car was stolen after 1am and recovered at 5pm the same day.

My newest S2000 has a Lo-Jack system installed with early warning. This way if it is stolen I will know within 15 minutes and the police will be more inclined to look for it since they can catch someone in the process.

So my advise is to go with Lo-Jack or a similar GPS device with real-tme monitoring.

You can often purchase it from the dealer where you get your car and have the cost worked into your payments.

Oh, one more thing, when my car was stolen, it was in a relatively safe, well lighted place with lots of sidewalk traffic in San Francisco. It was snuggly parked between 2 cars, and had the Club on the steering wheel. The theives used a tow truck and no one ever questioned them for one second.

Oh, and for the 16yo that wrecked his NSX and then his parents bought him a Lotus; his parents should have there heads checked.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:16 AM

I've always thought that there are a few key features that are necessary with an alarm system, instead of just having a basic car alarm:

- Proximity sensor
- 2 way paging
- Backup battery
- Piezo Siren(s)
- Tilt sensor

And in a special case for our cars:
- Kodokan Seat locks

In the case of what happened to UCrazyKid - all the above features would have worked together to prevent the theft of his car.

Quick Reply: Best Alarm?