S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

bad window switch?

Old 11-06-2013, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad window switch?

so i got a 2002 s2k about 4 days ago. i got it knowing the window switch (i think?) was bad. so let me explain the problem. if i hit the roof switch, only the drivers side window will go down. at one point or another, the passenger side will eventually go down or it may not. when i put the top back up, the drivers side window reacts like it should and the passenger will either drop or stay up depending on how it feels for the day. to get the passenger side window up, ill usually put the top on, turn off the ignition, turn the ignition back on and then it will go up on its own. any ideas?
Old 11-09-2013, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a failing window regulator. The switch has nothing to do with the passenger window during top down procedure. The regulator working and not working at times seems like it is on its last leg. Take of the door panel and run speaker wire to your battery on the + and - side. Touch the two sides of the speaker wire to the pins inside the connector for the regulator (obviously unconnect the regulator first). One connection will make it go up, reverse polarity will make it go down. If it works applying straight 12v to it then it is OKAY. If not, then perhaps it is time to check wiring. Whats the difference in the window behavior when you use the switch for it on the pass side and driver side?
Old 11-12-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dylanrush
turn the ignition back on and then it will go up on its own.
If it truly goes up "on it's own" then it can only be the convertible top module. It controls the top and passenger window. If you turn the ignition on and the window goes up by itself, then there must be something wrong inside the module, maybe a sticking relay (burned contacts). A bad window switch (shorted) could cause the window to go up "by itself" but it will not prevent the window from going down when you operate the top. The convertible top module ignores the window switches when you hit the roof switch.

Interesting note - the OEM tweeter connector fits the window motor connectors. I recently wired one to a toggle switch and small 12v battery so when I'm working inside the door I can easily raise or lower the window.