S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Bad Sound Quality

Old 07-15-2011, 06:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bad Sound Quality

So I just installed the Polk audio db6501's in the s-duece, and I have them paired with the Alpine cde-121.. The sound quality sounds like its really really flat and the stock speakers honestly sounded better. The speakers came with the tweeters and that little electrical box but I didn't install those because my ap1 doesn't have holes for tweeters.. Is there something I'm missing? Is this a shitty deck, because it was cheap? Are their hidden factory EQ settings on the deck that I can't find? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Shane
Old 07-15-2011, 07:34 AM
oth

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Those speakers are intended to be used with the supplied tweeters, so if you don't intend
to install them you should probably get some coaxial speakers with a built-in tweeter like
the Polk db651.
If you happened to switch the polarity of one speaker (reversing + and -) you'll get pretty
awful sound too.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not installing the tweeters is only going to give you half the sound of the speaker. Most of your vocals and some of the instruments are played from the tweeter so no having installed them will cause it to sound like crap.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:25 AM

So my best best would be to install the tweeters? Since I have an ap1 without tweeters where would you guys install them?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:49 AM

You can cut them in the dash in the same location that they would be if you had factory tweeters. That's where I put mine and they worked out great. If you don't want to go through all the trouble of cutting, then just return the component set for a coax set (has the tweeter built into it).
Old 07-16-2011, 09:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dude thats like popping the hood of your S2000 and pulling out two coil packs to make it a 2cyl and then wondering why it doesnt make good power.

YOU NEED THE TWEETERS to make good sound. You Must use the crossovers. If you dont like cutting your door panels, then return the speakers and buy co-Axial polks, they'll be cheaper and easier to install
Old 07-16-2011, 11:49 AM

Could be that Honda threw in a fullrange speaker. When you replaced it with a dedicated midrange you probably lost even more top end sensitivity. Even if the midrange is better than the stock fullrange for the midrange frequencies it could be that the lack of treble is even more pressing.

In reality I think it's a little bit of both. The polk mid might not actually be much of an improvement to your stock woofer. You can try using the crossover and tweeter on both the Polk and the stock woofer and see which one sounds better. The stock paper woofers are often more sensitive than the aftermarket which results in reduced distortion. The Polk may also have a firmer suspension, and without beefing up the door you may get more rattles for the same excursion.

You can try mounting the tweeter in the door next to the woofer somewhere. Maybe right on the back of the panel in front of the woofer but still under the panel so you don't have to jack up your doors. I think coaxials would have been a better choice for you.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

in my opinion component speakers are better for an application with an amplifier. id get regular spakers and be done with it
Old 07-16-2011, 05:25 PM

Could I just get a set of ap1 v2 door panels?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:30 PM

May be you can just install the tweeter behind the mid woofer grill at the door so there wont be cutting necessary

Quick Reply: Bad Sound Quality