S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Backup Camera Wiring Question

Old 11-04-2023, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backup Camera Wiring Question

Hey S2KI. I'm planning on installing a backup camera in my 2007 S2000, and had some questions about how to wire this up that I couldn't find easily online.

Parts list:Objective:
  • The Sony XAV-AX6000 comes with a button to view the rear camera at any point without having to shift in reverse. To have this working properly, the camera would need to receive 12V of power when the car is switched on, and not when shifted to reverse. So if at all possible, I'd like to avoid splicing into the power wire of the backup/reverse taillight.
Questions:
  • Would the +12V ignition on accessory terminal be a good power source for this?
  • The head unit still needs to know when the car is shifted in reverse to activate the camera automatically, and therefore needs to have its reverse trigger wire (purple & white wire) hooked up. I'm wondering in this scenario is it possible to connect this wire to a fuse location that receives power when the car is shifted in reverse? According to my 2007 instruction manual, the fuse location for Backup lights is Fuse #9 (7.5 A). However, it seems like this fuse is responsible for some other things, so I don't want the head unit switching to the camera feed unpredictably. Is it possible to do this with an Add-A-Circuit fuse tap, or is it not possible and should I just run the purple/white wire from the head unit to the backup/reverse light?
I've attached a wiring diagram to visually explain what I'm trying to achieve here. Please let me know if this would work and thanks for your help!

Old 11-04-2023, 05:52 PM

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Yes, the ignition switched aux power connection on fuse panel is an ideal place to power any auxiliary device. That's why its there.

Your reluctance to do this the easy way seems misguided. You can easily tap into reverse wire without modifying stock wiring. Vampire tap connectors are very sophisticated these days.

They pierce wire insulation with a thin, sharp probe. If ever removed, insulation closes back up and is virtually invisible. No damage, no modification, no risk.
Old 11-05-2023, 02:21 AM

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

there is no fuse directly for the reverse. the fuse listed feeds the circuit before the switch, not after.

its a green wire with a black stripe, gray 14 pin plug in the drivers kick panel if you don't want to run the wire all the way back.

either way there is no "non invasive" way unless you want to build a t-harness that could cost more than its worth.
The following users liked this post:
neemski (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 11:53 AM

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,085 Posts

To be clear, you can rap reverse wire in back near lamps, or under dash right near fuse panel.
Old 11-05-2023, 01:56 PM

My original post wasn't clear. When I said "I'd like to avoid splicing into the power wire of the backup/reverse taillight", what I really meant was I don't want to use this as a power source for the camera, and I'd like to try limiting the scope of wiring the trigger wire to near the dash since in this scenario I'm already there using the 12V IGN terminal as the camera's power source. I'm fine with tapping/soldering, etc, I just want to avoid running another wire to the back of the car if I don't need to - and wasn't sure if I could use a fuse for the trigger wire, hence the question.

@spider2k thank you. Your answer led me to the wiring diagram for the back-up lights:

And this post: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-el.../#post24748875

Sounds like you're referring to C501 (white connector in AP2), but let me know if that's incorrect. Thanks again.

Last edited by neemski; 11-06-2023 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-05-2023, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by neemski
My original post wasn't clear. When I said "I'd like to avoid splicing into the power wire of the backup/reverse taillight", what I really meant was I don't want to use this as a power source for the camera, and I'd like to try limiting the scope of wiring the trigger wire to near the dash since in this scenario I'm already there using the 12V IGN terminal as the camera's power source. I'm fine with tapping/soldering, etc, I just want to avoid running another cable to the back of the car if I don't need to - and wasn't sure if I could use a fuse for the trigger wire, hence the question.

@spider2k thank you. Your answer led me to the wiring diagram for the back-up lights:

And this post: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-el.../#post24748875

Sounds like you're referring to C501 (white connector in AP2), but let me know if that's incorrect. Thanks again.
pretty much. just look for a grn/blk in the kick and meter it for 12v in reverse.
Old 11-06-2023, 01:57 PM

OK, slight update. I bought this harness: https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/AHH-70-1721SO.html

It comes with red/black convenience leads (switched +12V and GND) for other devices. I'm wondering if I could simplify the backup camera installation by using this +12V lead and not the +12V ignition switch terminal on the fuse panel?

Only thing is - I am also installing the iDatalink Maestro SW steering control adapter (https://www.crutchfield.com/S-9aDUi4...l-Adapter.html), and will be using the power/gnd leads for it as well. Not sure if that poses any issues? (I know the harness says it comes with steering controls already, but I've tried it and it seems to work intermittently, so I'm hoping the Maestro will solve that issue).

Updated diagram - please lmk if this would work fine?

Old 11-06-2023, 04:29 PM

power wise, you're fine. nothing will draw enough current to matter on that circuit.

that "steering control" on that harness is just a 3.5 wired into the honda connector. the radio may not like the resistances, who knows. the best option is the modifry as its hard coded to know the values.
The following users liked this post:
neemski (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 02:50 PM

power wise, you're fine. nothing will draw enough current to matter on that circuit.
Awesome - thanks!

​​​​​​​the best option is the modifry as its hard coded to know the values.
Totally. Just found out last week they're retiring and no Sony DCIs available. Just need to find someone to trade for my Alpine/Kenwood/JVC DCI...