S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

AUTO GPS mounting options

Old 03-13-2004, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUTO GPS mounting options

i just got my magellan roadmate, but the vent mounting braket doesnt appeal to me much. anyone has any other ideas? magellan carries a few other mounting options, but they all seem quite bulky. any suggestions will be appreciated. BTW, i dont mind cutting the dashboard.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:08 PM

Crutchfield has a mount they recomment for cell phones and satellite radio controls the unimount. I don't have the url handy or I would paste it in. I am seriousy considering getting it and attaching it to the little plastic piece on the center console forwarn and below the radio on the pasenger side. I will try to send more info tonight.
Andy
Old 03-13-2004, 06:08 PM

They offer a windshield mount, which looks like it has a universal connection. You could then buy the Arkon.com seat bolt extension arm and connect the mount to the extension arm to make something like this:

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/pro....asp?PRODID=965 - Magellan mount - $44.99

http://www.arkon.com/images/CM88%20Bulk%20...full%20size.jpg - CM88 - $29.95
Old 03-18-2004, 07:05 PM

I've heard that if you call customer service they will send you a free suction cup mount. They've had lots of complaints.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:27 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The product that Airgate is selling looks perfect for your needs

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...hlight=PanaVise
Old 03-20-2004, 09:52 PM

I used the akron.com mounting arm that bolts to the seat base (same one that walkabt mentions). It's a Garmin GPS V, but a similar mount can probably be made for your Magellan Roadmate.

Old 03-21-2004, 01:35 PM

I have a Bluetooth GPS receiver so there's no wiring and I can use either the laptop or my pocket PC.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SKino
I used the akron.com mounting arm that bolts to the seat base (same one that walkabt mentions).
Old 03-21-2004, 07:20 PM

thanks for all your replies. most of the mounts available are too bulky for me. airgate has got a very nice mount, but i am not sure it will fit around the right driver vent. i finally made my own mount this weekend. i made a compact mounting bracket out of aluminum and mounted it right above the right driver vent, so that the gps is right at the finger tips of my right hand. i had to dremel a small slit to allow most of the metal to be hidden under the dash and stabilized in there. after a few tries, i finally made it so that it's just the right distance from my right hand and not close enough to interfere with driving. it doesnt look so hot now, but i've got a few more ideas on how to improve it and hopefully will have a much better version in a few week.
another modifcation i did was hard wiring it to the accessory power sucket so now every time i start the car, the gps turns on automatically and there is no visible power cord on center console.
i also tried to relocate the speaker and tried to change to a larger speaker, but that didnt work out. i will give it a shot in a few weeks. my plan is to relocate the speaker to radio door to improve loudness. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:56 PM

s2000guy,

I used the bicycle handle mount from Garmin and re-worked that to fit onto the arkon.com arm. If the 2610 has a similar type of mount, I'm sure it could be adapted to work. Otherwise, it might take a bit of rework to get the existing mount to fit securely to the arkon.com arm.

Quick Reply: AUTO GPS mounting options