S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Audio Project - Speakers, Sub, Bass Shakers

Old 08-23-2010, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice. Have you listened to it yet?

How did you cut the hole for the speaker terminal?

tntrac
Old 08-23-2010, 08:36 PM

I drilled a hole using a larger bit, then just used a dremel to cut out the outline of the terminal I had drawn on it.

I have not listened to it yet, I just cemented in the terminal (it has no screws by design). That should be about dry now.

I haven't wired up my amp yet, all the wires are there, I just haven't connected everything. Working in the drivers spare tire area while keeping the wires nice and tight is going to be a pain.

-Towels
Old 08-27-2010, 07:29 AM

Finally finished my box.

Surprisingly, it sounds great with more bass than I needed . I will adjust the amp's gain down a little. Right now I haven't installed the amp for the front speaker yet so the sub is overpowering the speakers.

Still need to slap that grill on for the final touch.

Towels,
How much did you spend on material to make that box? I lost track of it when it went past the $120 . I think it is right about $150.
tntrac
Old 08-27-2010, 11:05 AM

Looks kinda retarded, I know. But hey, I wanted to make sure there were no leaks. So what your looking as it the speaker terminals absolutely plastered to the box. That's not going ANYWHERE.

Also you can see the bolt that's attached to the body, then passed through the box. I put a rubber grommet in between the box and the washer/nut then bolted it down real tight. So that was level 1 of sealing it. Then I covered the whole thing in silicone just for good measure.

The silicone was still drying so I haven't put the sub in, but will tonight.

As far as what it cost to build- I don't have the receipts but I'd guess $20 for the MDF, $60 for the resin, $25 for glass cloth, $10 for foam brushes, $20 for light weight bondo, $25 for 3M super adhesive tape. And you got your $160 right there. About on par with what you spent.

Cheers,

-Towels
Old 08-27-2010, 12:16 PM

Hey Towels, got any pics of your speaker installs? not the sub, but the fronts and rears... where did you mount the tweeters/
Old 08-27-2010, 01:11 PM

I haven't done the speakers yet, just laid the wires. Probably won't get to those for a little while. But I will continue to update this thread.

-Towels
Old 08-29-2010, 05:48 PM

Trouble in paradise.

I got everything installed today, but ran into problems. Took me a while to diagnose but finally came to the following conclusion:

When using the iPhone 3GS (4.0.1) and blutooth the Kendwood does not send a REAR or SUBWOOFER channel on the head unit. So thus, there will be no sub or rear speakers when using bluetooth. When using a CD or otherwise, all channels are sent.

This is a pretty terrible conclusion, because bluetooth was going to be my primary source of audio. I wouldn't have spend the extra cash on a bluetooth enabled head unit if I knew it was only 1/3 capable.

However, I don't know for sure if this is a bluetooth or iphone issue. I'm going to try giving Kenwood a call as well as trying out a friends Driod to see if that produces the same effect.

-Towels
Old 08-29-2010, 06:41 PM

Bad news!! Does it work with the wired connections?
I just bought a KDC-X994, I hope i don't have the same issues...
Old 08-30-2010, 04:29 AM

it should still work u have to go into the setting options when in bt mode and change the speaker settings from front to all.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:07 AM

^ Can you give me the exact steps required - I thought I went through everything pretty well in the settings.

EDIT: Last time I tried the wired connection it did two things. The first was saying "Reading..." forever. Unplugged, tried again, the second time it said I had no audio files. But I put two full albums on the phone for testing purposes... mp3 format.

-Towels

Quick Reply: Audio Project - Speakers, Sub, Bass Shakers