S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Audio Project - Speakers, Sub, Bass Shakers

Old 08-10-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, and I do need a router! I generally do not work with wood, so it's never come up until now. The saws-all and table saw have usually gotten me by.

Another tool to add to the list...

-Towels
Old 08-10-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah if you buy one YOU WILL find uses for it lol
Old 08-10-2010, 07:56 PM

Ordered the sub today, and wired up the kenwood stereo. Also sanded the box down some more, but another coat of bondo + few hours of sanding is still needed to get it where I want.

I'll take some more pictures soon.

-Towels
Old 08-11-2010, 08:45 AM

Are you still using one gallon of resin ?

I had to buy an extra 29 oz container from walmart.

Tnt
Old 08-11-2010, 09:33 AM

what are your impressions of the kewnwood stereo? sound, usability, bluetooth, etc.

i bought the same model and am planning on putting it in this weekend.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:47 PM

Yes I'm still on my first gallon. Little bit left.

As for the Kenwood:

The Kenwood KDCBT945 has a lot of features.

I didn't get to use any of them for very long though.

After wiring up the deck (I do all my own wiring, this is my 5th or 6th install and the only one to have problems).

I didn't fully install the deck, I just wired it up, and began testing it as I always do. Don't want to fully install it, and learn a speaker wire isn't crimped properly.

So I'm holding the deck, turn the power on and viola on she goes. Everything seemed normal, at first.

Jammed out to the radio for a few, and then I proceeded to turn the volume up to a reasonable, but louder level.

Massive distortion proceeded unlike anything I've heard before. Static, pops, and screeches filled the car. Anything past 20 (out of 60 I think) and it would absolutely turn to rubbish. I was quick to blame stock Honda speakers, but in retrospect I doubt they are the problem.

So backing down the volume to a listenable level, I investigated other features and options to see about a fix. When a very strange thing happened.

The volume started to get louder without any input from me, and then inversely it got super quiet - to an inaudible level. It started fluctuating without any input, in a parked car, car off. It continued to do this at random, and the lights on the deck would dim randomly as it did so. So, yeah. Great. Deck is going crazy on me.

I'm checking over my wiring and as I was moving things around my wrist grazed the rear heat-sink for just a split second. In that split second, the fins of the heatsink were SO HOT that it literally burned my skin on contact. I recoiled in horror, and then put a tiny droplet of water on the aluminum heatsink, and it boiled off instantly. Mind you the CD player was in open air, and had been on less than 20 minutes.

I'm extremely glad I didn't install the deck as it could have easily caused a fire.

I RMA'd it out and received the replacement last night and wired up everything with heat shrink this time, and will install it tonight and see what happens....

-Towels
Old 08-11-2010, 12:54 PM

^ Also, the DCI remote never worked for me.

I sent it back to Modifry and he said it was set to Apline... not sure if I did that or not. So hopefully that will work this time also.

-GW
Old 08-11-2010, 01:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PS, don't wire the mute switch.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:26 PM

You mean the mute wire on the harness? Why?

-Towels
Old 08-11-2010, 05:03 PM

I had a small dent on my rocker panel from a Jeep that got in my way and I had to dodge and hit a curb. Really tiny depression.

$340 and two days later- I go to pick up the car tonight and the paint work and repair work is unsatisfactory. So I'm was unable to install the deck tonight! Bummer on both fronts.

-Towels

Quick Reply: Audio Project - Speakers, Sub, Bass Shakers