S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Audio Project - Speakers, Sub, Bass Shakers

Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the dremel and get rid of the bubbles. I put down 1 layer of fiberglass cloth and then I add few smaller pieces here and there , avaoiding any complex curves. When dry, I paint on a thin layer of resin and throw on fiberglass mat to strengthen the thing up. Tear small pieces, like 3x3" and use those. I would remove after that step.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After laying the cloth down on the base, I find it difficult to place the cloth on its side. The 3M adhesive spray helps a lot (I had one laying around).

tnt
Old 08-09-2010, 07:06 AM

^ The 3M adhesive makes working with fiberglass a lot more tolerable.

Did more work on the box this weekend.

The MDF is now attached to the fiberglass body. Still needs more resin/bondo mixture on the outside, and lots of sanding to smooth it up.

But the MDF is in place for the most part, I attached it first with a small amount of bondo/resin then I fiberglassed it on the inside, and then added more layers of bondo/resin on the outside. Sand, and repeat.

So couple more layers of bondo/resin, more sanding, and then for the most part should be ready to carpet.

Some pictures:

The circle isn't "perfect" I may dremel it a bit to make it perfectly round, but it's the correct size basically (I hope) so I'm not sure it will matter.

Right now my biggest concern is devising a place/way to put the speaker connections.

-Towels
Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 AM

I would just drill a hole, pull speaker wire trhu, then seal around the hole. I've used RTV silicone in the past with success.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:15 AM

I was thinking about doing that, but thought - no offense - it was kinda ghetto. (Although it is probably what I will do.)

Was hoping I could devise a sexier more pro way.

I could easily install terminals on the front of the box, but then I'd have exposed wires and that's a no-no for me.

EDIT:

I might buy these: http://cgi.ebay.com/2pcs-5-WAY-DIY-AMPS-Sp...kers_Subwoofers

And see if I can work them in somewhere stealthy.

-Towels
Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 AM

I would rather have a direct connection with no interference in the wire. PS, wire it up from behind so you can tuck all the wires.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:28 AM

True, but then removal is a PIA not that I will ever remove it. heh.

I ended up buying those posts, and also a round speaker terminal standard one. I'll see what I feel like doing when they arrive.

-Towels
Old 08-09-2010, 12:07 PM

Towel,

Like trackstar suggested, do drill the hole for the speaker wire. I did the terminal thing for my last box but it was more work then needed.

If you are considering the terminal, do use one that sits flush.

Also, are you going to make a ring around the sub so it sits flush wit the frame of the sub?

tnt
Old 08-10-2010, 06:04 AM

I was just going to mount it straight to the mdf with no ring (unless it doesn't clear the box). I think that will look best. And I'll get the nice JL 8" mesh cover for it.

-Towels
Old 08-10-2010, 06:45 AM

Why don't you mount the sub flush to the mdf, then make a nice mdf ring to go around the sub at the same height. While you're at it, cover it with alcantara and stitch a red ring around the sub. That would like great.

Quick Reply: Audio Project - Speakers, Sub, Bass Shakers