S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Audio Project - Speakers, Sub, Bass Shakers

Old 07-31-2010, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Project - Speakers, Sub, Bass Shakers

I don't post much, but I figured I'd document my audio project as it's a subject often discussed with these cars.

The s2000's has one of the worst stock systems I've heard so far, and I already have an Intake, Exhaust, and Mishimoto Rad and Fans and that's all I wanted performance wise. So next comes audio.

Components:

(1) - Kenwood KDCBT945 - Built in Blu Tooth for my iphone (purchased)

(2) - Modify Wiring Harness + Kenwood DCI (purchased)

AMP - 6 Channel M6450

Still need to get my speakers and sub, but this is what I intend to purchase:

6.5" Component Front Speakers - JL Audio TR650-CSI

5.25" Component Rear Speakers - JL Audio VR525-CSI

8" Subwoofer - JL Audio 8W3v3-4

After those are installed which may take me a while, I'm going to emulate what I first saw in a 1984 300zx Anniversary Edition. The Z has either 4 or 6 mini subwoofers built into the seats that vibrate with the music. They called it Body Sonic. The closest thing I could find these days are called "Bass Shakers" made by a company called Aura. After the standard audio install I'll do a write up on how those went.

Currently I'm attempting to build my own MDF/Fiberglass box in the likeness of the DarkSideSubs. I just didn't feel like paying $185 for a box. But if I fail at making one, perhaps I will!

-Towels
Old 07-31-2010, 11:06 PM

I built a board out of 3/4" MDF to mount my JL AMP, the Tsunami Fuse block, and I will eventually attempt to put two small amps here for the body sonic as well.

I'm not a professional anything when it comes to cars, I have the most basic of tools and free time. I generally cardboard a template, then trace it to the MDF and use a saws all for my cutting.

Here's what I came up with:

Carpeted with subwoofer carpet which happens to be an excellent match color wise.

Installed:

I'm currently working on building the subwoofer box. I made a few templates and decided on the one I think will work best. Time to fiberglass!

Materials:

3M Super Adhesive Masking Tape
3M Fiber Glass sheets
Fiber Glass Resin
Scissors
Neoprene gloves
Professional Grade Paint Mask
2mil plastic sheets
Painters tape
And a weekend.

I started by vacuuming the trunk out, and then I laid down the first layer of tape:

Second layer:

The red line is the approximate area the box will be.

One thing of note is that I could not find any molding wax, so I have no idea how well this will work when removed.

All taped up, I put a box in the trunk to give me a nice level surface for the resin, and fiber mats:

One layer:

Looks a little splotchy.

That's as far as I got today.

Tomorrow (uh, well it's 3am so I guess today) I will be lining the first layer with fleece cloth and resin to give it some thickness. I'll then add possibly 1 or 2 more layers of fiber. NOTE: I'm not a pro, this is just what I decided to do, I have no idea if it's is the "proper" way of doing things. =)

I didn't take any pictures of the MDF, but it's basically a flat sheet of MDF that will mount the sub flush.

Cheers,

-Towels
Old 08-01-2010, 02:27 PM

Very nice. For the first layer, you just put fiberglass resin over the tape without anything else (fleece)?

Does the resin go through the tape and touch your carpet? Looks like you didn't remove any carpet piece, etc.

I like to use your idea to built one exact .

Post more pics as you go. I am going to start next weekend.

Is the top of the box going to be fiberlass too (looks like it will angle out since the base has a much bigger surface)? If top is fiberglass, it looks like its going to be difficult to pull the box out

I am going with a jl 10w3v3 (d4).

thanks,
Tnt
Old 08-02-2010, 06:01 AM

^It's a little unclear from my pictures, but there is a gap between the flat MDF (red line) is and where the molding ends. So now that the mold is done I will need to add about an inch of fiberglass at the top. For reference, it will stick out about an inch past the weather stripping.

I didn't put anything between the 2 layers of tape and the fiberglass. It did not bleed through, and when I removed the mold it was nice and clean inside, not a drop go on the carpets. HOWEVER, since I didn't have any material seperating the fiber from the tape the got stuck all over the outside of the box and was a huge pia to remove.

I attempted to use fleece to create a bit of thickness, but that failed miserably. It would seem to me a gross amount of resin is needed to fully saturate the fleece to make it useful.

Instead, I did a second and third layer of fiber glass.

After that, I mixed Bondo Gold with Resin and both hardeners and applied that to the inside of the box 3 times. This helps create a flatter more smooth surface inside and gave it additional strength and thickness. This seemed to work quite well, and I will continue to build up the box in this manner. Lots of work.

Doubt I'll be done anytime soon! Now I see why the dark side subs are so pricey!

One trick I tried was using a spray adhesive to get the glass in place, and then I applied the resin onto the glass that way, that worked better than my previous attempts of just throwing the glass on and throwing resin on and getting super sticky in the process. Also, I bought a 100 pack of neoprene... or nitrate gloves I forget which- but they have come in very handy. Ive gone through about 15 pairs.

-Towels
Old 08-02-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

i use to work at a car audio shop and one trick we used for getting the first layer to stick(especially overhangs) is to brush on a thin layer of resin and let cure for a bit to get it nice and sticky, then press the fiberglass against it. if you want to add thickness you should try using Baltek Mat

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=93&
Old 08-02-2010, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As for the body filler, you can pour it in a cup and add a bit of resin to it. This way it's more thin, and actually a little less brittle. It can be applied with a paint brush and smoothed easier with a paddle.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:32 PM

Has resin gone up in price?

Several years ago, Home Depot had it for low 20s. Now its like almost 40 bucks a gallon.

I remember seeing it cheaper kragen, pep boys after i finished my project (around 15 bucks a gallon).

Anybody know a good place to buy?

Tnt
Old 08-02-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good work so far, I can't wait to see the end result.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:10 PM

Are you going to have the recommended volume of around .78?

Also, I haven't done fiberglass for over 6 years, but does the smell noticeable 12 ft away? Trying to plan this project without driving my neighbor nut .

tnt
Old 08-03-2010, 06:41 AM

tntrac, have you checked out boat/marine shops? they generally have better fiberglass material compared to home depot or automotive stores.

Quick Reply: Audio Project - Speakers, Sub, Bass Shakers