S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Audio 101

Old 07-03-2001 | 03:51 AM

Default Audio 101

This may seem to be a stupid question, but here goes.

One of the links in one of the threads took me to a site that sold car audio components in an auction format. The listings included some very good pricing on Orion speakers. Unfamiliar with the brand, I tracked down an Orion web site. The various speakers in the 6.5" size were listed as 3 ohm speakers. Orion made the claim that this made the speakers 33% more efficient.

What is the relationship of the ohm rating to the performance of the speaker. Would a 3 ohm speaker be compatible with the stock Honda head unit. Is this legit or merely "spin".

Does anyone know about Orion products? Their marketing line is "If its loud, we're louder." (I may need to exchange my head unit for one where the volume control goes to eleven)

Note that I have not confirmed depth measurements to see if the speakers will even fit, I just wanted to address this ohm issue first.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-03-2001 | 07:30 AM
Former Moderator
20 Year Member

Kduke,

The 3 ohm rating of the speaker is misleading. In speakers Ohms are a measure of the impedance of the speaker. The impedance changes with frequency. Without knowing the exact parameters that they used to define it as a 3 ohm speaker and being able to compare that to the actual parameters the competitors use to call theirs 4 ohms makes the specification just about worthless. Personally, I'd consider it a marketing gimmick and probably avoid the brand just for using such a gimmick. Even assuming their claims are true it won't make that much difference in the volume of sound. It takes twice as much power to make a noticeable difference in sound volume so using that logic they've only given you 25% more power by cutting the impedance by 1 ohm. Therefore, while it might be barely noticeable it isn't enough of a difference to justify using that selling point as a decision maker.
As far as working with the stock head unit it would probably work fine. There can be issues when the impedance of a speaker approaches 0 ohms which is basically a short circuit. Since the impedance varies with frequency this can happen with speakers rated for low impedances but I don't think that would be an issue in this case.
I'm not familiar with Orion products so my comments are in general and I can't comment on these particular speakers or the manufacturer.
Old 07-03-2001 | 09:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KDuke
[B]This may seem to be a stupid question, but here goes.

One of the links in one of the threads took me to a site that sold car audio components in an auction format.
Old 07-03-2001 | 03:06 PM

For Orion to make the blanket claim that cutting their DC coil resistance to 3 ohms increases their efficiency by 33% is not only highly misleading, if it were any other type of product I would personally call it bordering on criminal (false advertising). By lowering the DC resistance of the coil, you not only take a large chance of making the amplifier unstable, you also increase the power/heat dissipation required for the amp. If the amplifier was not designed for this type of impedance, you will surely do it harm over time.

As Strike mentioned, the speaker's impedance is dependant upon frequency, so claiming the speaker is 33% more efficient is only true at DC/0 Hz (obviously a frequency the amplifier is not going to be spending a lot of time trying to replicate). This one sits about as well with me as companies who claim music sounds better through their cables because they use 0.0001% higher purity copper than the competition...a load of crap by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 07-03-2001 | 06:35 PM

I thought that this question might raise some opinions about the efficiency gain.

Given the implied power demand, the questionable advertising claims, and the fact that I am not looking to perform in audio competition, I will pass on the Orion speakers.

I am not going to upgrade my head unit at this time (even if I could find one where the volume goes to eleven). So it looks like I will stick with either the Polk EX602A or the Sony 1621 (2-way) as my prime choices for simple drop-ins for now.

Thanks again for the wealth of information.
Old 07-06-2001 | 10:40 AM
Community Organizer
20 Year Member

Can the person who originally closed this thread please post why it was closed........otherwise I do not see a reason for it to be closed.

This has happened now twice. I do not appreciate threads being closed with no reason for their locking.

Thank you.