S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

ATTN: iPhone gurus

Old 06-11-2008, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Jun 11 2008, 01:37 AM
Ok, just want to clear some things up....

1)The connectors on an IPOD and a IPHONE are the same. However, older accessories for ipods have slightly different pins (ie some Belkin products) and while the signal WILL go through, the charging current wont. So, your iphone will play, but won't charge. However, I have never seen with with radios...Pioneer or Alpine.

2)Any radio (Pioneer or Alpine) that can INTEGRATE with an ipod, will integrate with an iphone.

3)When your iphone asks to enter airplane mode, say NO. It will still work. The only thing is, if your iphone is close to your radio...you might get that "tick tick tick" noise when the iphone is receiving data. By "close" I mean less than 12".
Sweet.

Now I just need to wait for Verizon to get the iPhone. I hear it won;t be long now.

Thanks Dave.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:54 AM

siresousrex,

I think you have been misinformed. AT&T will be the exclusive carrier for the iPhone in the U.S.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the fact that Verizon is not GSM, and Iphones are ONLY GSM.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by sireousrex,Jun 10 2008, 12:49 PM
Do you have the Pioneer setup that allows you to control the iPhone through the headunit or jsut play/charge with the head unit and you have to select your music through the iphone itself?
yes i can control from the headunit
Old 06-11-2008, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by webmasterino,Jun 11 2008, 09:54 AM
siresousrex,

I think you have been misinformed. AT&T will be the exclusive carrier for the iPhone in the U.S.
I know, but I was told things are a changing.

At one point you couldn;t get apple products unless directly from apple. Now you can get the stuff at Bestbuy.

In current form, yes, no verizon. but I am hoping things are changing. Time will tell.

In the mean time, I am probably just going to get a regular ipod to get me by until it is realeased. I am satisfied with my XV6700 anyway, but I would just like to intergrate the phone/music better.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:16 PM

well the new iphone thats coming out on july is way cheaper and faster than what it used to be...

i love my iphone and i definitely recommend you buying one.

and i also have a pioneer and i used my iphone with it all the time...
Old 06-12-2008, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by webmasterino,Jun 11 2008, 06:54 AM
siresousrex,

currently yes....but att and apple dont have a contract anymore to keep the iphone with att. there is speculation that the iphone will go to tmobile once tmobile gets some balls and starts up their 3g service
Old 06-12-2008, 07:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I believe the exclusive contract with ATT is STILL in place.

The iPhone IS GSM only, so it will NEVER be on Verizon.

The first generation of iPod used a firewire connector. The second generation iPod came out with the "dock" connector, which has been the standard ever since. The iPhone and the touch use the same connector.

I am gettin a 3G iPhone the day of launch. Even if I have to elbow little old ladies in the eye.

(Ok, ESPECIALLY if I GET to elbow little old ladies in the eye. )
Old 06-16-2008, 07:51 AM

i'm a little late but i figure i'd throw in my 2cents:

I have had this head unit in my car for a couple years now and since owning an iPhone I've only got it to work with it sporadically. After testing it over and over, I connected it by SLOWLY plugging the radio's interface cable into the iPhone. Lo and behold it worked with no "ERROR-A0." I tried it again, this time plugging it in at a "normal" pace; it didn't work. So I tried once more slowly but not AS slow. I tried it a few more times while paying attention to what was going on. Apparently when the interface cable contacts the iPhone connector it connects the audio function and controls successfully and the headunit says "READY." Once it shows READY you can push the connector further in until you hear the *click* and it continues playing and the radio controls the iPhone as it should. You can disconnect, power off the radio, turn the car off, etc as you would with any iPod just as long as when connecting it, you do it as I explained above.

I figured it had something to do with the difference in batteries/charging/etc between an iPhone and an iPod. I did some research and found a couple sites that gave the iPhone and iPod battery specs. Surprisingly, they are not much different. Both are 3.7V batteries but the iPhone has a higher capacity battery (1400mah) vs the various iPod models that range from ~300-600mah. With that said, it somewhat clears up my concern about the battery being charged improperly as any "iPod compatible" device should charge at a safe rate. Hope you all who had problems find this and I hope it works for you.

FYI. I also posted this on crutchfield forums so if you ran into it that's where i copied that reply from and pasted it here to save time typing hehe.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:57 AM

Thanks for the good info!!!

Quick Reply: ATTN: iPhone gurus