S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

ATTN: iPhone gurus

Old 06-09-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTN: iPhone gurus

I just got my new AVIC-D2 hooked up and I am looking into getting the iPod connector and the Pioneer adapter to link it to the headunit.

I am big on integrating things as possible, so I might look into getting an iPhone to do everything.

Only problem is that I hear the iPhone has a different connector than the iPod and it won't connect with the Pionner unless I just use the AUX input which is not gonna happen. I need to be able to control the iPhone from the headunit and display all track info there.

Can any of you iPhone gurus let me know if Pioneer is offering a ip-Bus unit that will control the iphone? TIA
Old 06-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incorrect. The iphone will plug into anything an ipod will. I use my iphone in my car all the time (for music). If the radio can control and IPOD, it can control an iphone.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Jun 9 2008, 08:44 PM
Incorrect. The iphone will plug into anything an ipod will. I use my iphone in my car all the time (for music). If the radio can control and IPOD, it can control an iphone.
AWESOME

I guess I was pleasantly misinformed.

Now, which iPod connector does the iPhone use? I understand there is one version called "dock" and some other style. Does the phone use the dock connection?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Beware...I have a Pioneer specific iPod cable that works with my Nano (no HU control just audio out through the dock connector) but it does not work with my iPhone. It charges but that's it.

More details in my thread a little further down the page.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:21 AM

Thank you.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:37 AM

the dock is just a stationary connector with a pad to hold the iphone up, that will work as well as an ordinary ipod connector. The ipod cable for pioneers WILL work for the iphone. I have one
Old 06-10-2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by HankookS2K,Jun 10 2008, 03:37 PM
the dock is just a stationary connector with a pad to hold the iphone up, that will work as well as an ordinary ipod connector. The ipod cable for pioneers WILL work for the iphone. I have one
Do you have the Pioneer setup that allows you to control the iPhone through the headunit or jsut play/charge with the head unit and you have to select your music through the iphone itself?
Old 06-10-2008, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well from my understanding the connector will plug into the iphone but once connected it will ask you to enter Airplane Mode and so then you say no on the phone and it will charge and play music but im not so sure about you being able to control the music selection from the HU....

Im not running a aftermarket stereo but i did buy one of those cool connections that plug into the stock HU where the AUX cd changer plug goes and thats what it does to my iphone...

GL if you get this to work.... keep checking back with us for the results.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by sireousrex,Jun 9 2008, 07:59 PM
AWESOME

I guess I was pleasantly misinformed.

Now, which iPod connector does the iPhone use? I understand there is one version called "dock" and some other style. Does the phone use the dock connection?
The iphone uses the same connector as an ipod. On some accessories, the charging part of the connector will not work, the SIGNAL connector will always work.

If you can connect and Ipod, you can connect an iphone.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Former Moderator

Ok, just want to clear some things up....

1)The connectors on an IPOD and a IPHONE are the same. However, older accessories for ipods have slightly different pins (ie some Belkin products) and while the signal WILL go through, the charging current wont. So, your iphone will play, but won't charge. However, I have never seen with with radios...Pioneer or Alpine.

2)Any radio (Pioneer or Alpine) that can INTEGRATE with an ipod, will integrate with an iphone.

3)When your iphone asks to enter airplane mode, say NO. It will still work. The only thing is, if your iphone is close to your radio...you might get that "tick tick tick" noise when the iphone is receiving data. By "close" I mean less than 12".

Quick Reply: ATTN: iPhone gurus