S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

apple iphone

Old 11-28-2007, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default apple iphone

does anyone know if there are any integrations for the apple iphone? I just want something that will charge and play music without plugging it in the outlet on the armrest (by the glove). Anyone out there? I know there are ones for just the ipod but does anyone know if its compatible at all?

thanks for your time!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually had the same question for a similar use of the iphone. I was wondering if I can use the iphone with one of the ipod clock/speaker docks being sold everywhere, even though it is not stated for the iphone...
So I went straight to apple for the answer. This is what I was told...When I put the iphone in one of the docks, the dock states that "this is not made for the iphone" but all the features seem to work as well as the docking system charging it, too. Apple told me not to worry about the message as it will not damage the iphone, just that Apple hasn't integrated the docking systems to be fully compatible yet or something in that nature. One thing they did mention, not all the docking systems will work with the iphone so its just trial an error to figure which one would work. In my experience, while in Target, I tried all the systems on display and it seems to work for all of them with the message showing not made for iphone as warned. What I also noticed as the speaker system playing my songs off my iphone was some noice intereference that would come once in a while. A little annoying but tolerable.

Now with that all said, I believe the ones they make for ipods in the car should work as well with the iphone. With maybe a warning similar to the one I get and some noise interference. Just make sure the plug fits the iphone. I see the car radio and the ipod docking speakers as a similar system so maybe similar outcome in a sense. Sorry about the long post but I didnt want to just say yes or maybe without giving you a reason on it. Hope this helps. One other thing I'd like to mention, it might request you to put it on airplane mode once you plug it to lessen the noise interference, but that will disable you from getting any calls. I usually just leave it so I can still get phone calls and just deal with the interference. If you have anymore questions just let me know.

*EDIT: Just spoke to a rep. for apple about using it in the car, and exactly same situation as I stated. Will work, with those same warnings most likely.

Gabe
Old 11-28-2007, 08:00 PM

Just a heads up, an Enfig audio ipod adapter (vw specific) fried my 1st iphone when i connected it to it. Don't know if it was a freak accident or what, but the phone stopped turning on and i could do nothing with it.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Former Moderator

I believe the iPhone battery is different from the iPod battery. Since the charging circuit in the iPod cradles is made for the iPod, it could potentially damage the iPhone's internal charging circuit or battery.

I ran into this with a PDA charger once - fortunately it only fried the battery.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:51 AM

^^ Interesting...Did it happen right away or it took some time before it fried your batter?
Old 11-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Former Moderator

Happened after the 3rd or 4th time it was in the charger.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by NoRawkus305,Nov 29 2007, 01:51 PM
^^ Interesting...Did it happen right away or it took some time before it fried your batter?
You'll know cause the iPhone will get really warm.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:38 AM

All alpine with the ainet ipod cable or the IDA-X001 are all compatible with playing and charging the iphone. I dont know about any other brand name accessories