S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

AP1 only BT adapter for OEM cd changer

Old 10-03-2024 | 06:49 PM
20 Year Member

Default AP1 only BT adapter for OEM cd changer

Hi all, just picked up a new to me s2000 with 15k miles. I want to keep the car as OEM as possible, including the radio.

I've seen many posts from AP2 owners who were able to keep the OEM Radio and add bluetooth streaming for music using the OEM CD changer harness, but nothing definitive for AP1 owners. Consider this the definitive thread?

I've found the plug for the OEM CD Changer, here in blue and disconnected the CD changer from the harness:

I purchased one bluetooth streaming box that was recommended here, but the plug style is different, seen in white below:

Does anyone have any ideas on either:

1) A plug and play bluetooth streaming unit that will plug right into the blue AP1 Trunk CD changing hardness, as seen in my pictures.
2) Some sort of adapter that will connect the two different style plugs together.

I've seen some options that plug into the back of the OEM radio, but I'd like to use the trunk CD Changer if possible because it seems less invasive. I'll only resort to plugging into the back of the OEM radio if nothing else exists.

Does anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks in advance and glad to be back on s2ki after a 20 year hiatus!
Old 10-07-2024 | 06:07 PM
15 Year Member

I recall that the CD changer harness connector changed from 2003 onward, so your 01 AP1 CD changer harness won't match the 03-09 plug on the BT adapter. However, you may be able to make it work if you can get schematics for old and new style connectors and create an adapter between the two. People have run into this problem over the years when trying to use an 00-02 CD changer on an 03-09 radio, or vice versa. Maybe see if anyone worked out a solution for that.

Your other option is to put an 03-09 factory radio in your car. You will need to plug the BT adapter directly into the back of the radio. Won't be original but not too far off.
Old 10-07-2024 | 07:14 PM
20 Year Member

Hi skier, nice to hear from you. From my research you are spot on.

What I need is a cd changer adapter between the 00-02 and the 03-09 plug. I have to assume someone on this forum has done this before or knows where to get it, and if not.... it probably doesn't exist.

I think I won't need to consider upgrading to an 03-09 OEM radio, as I've found a grom BT unit that will plug into the back of an 00-02 radio.

I'd prefer the CD changer adapter method though! Is there anyone out there?

Thanks again skier!
Old 10-09-2024 | 09:11 AM

If you really want to commit to the CD changer adapter method, I think you have a few options.

If I were to be in your shoes, I would do the following:
1. Find the pin out diagram for the CD changer. I briefly looked around to not much avail (not even the Electronics manual seems to have it, and that usually has a pin out, could you check? [see s2000.club])
2. Find the pin out diagram for the BT unit.
3. Find the male connector for the BT unit.
4. Find the female connector for the CD unit (blue plug)
5. Connect the wires as per the pin out diagram.
6. Document the findings.

Here's another suggestion:
I'm sure many will tell you, "you should just switch the stereo". I too was once in your shoes, but deemed it not worth the effort to continue pursuing the OEM head unit.
The OEM head unit is a product of its time, has its own charm, but unfortunately sounds... not that good and was built with relatively mediocre to low quality parts. Replacing it with an aftermarket headunit improved the sound quality quite a bit.

But if the aesthetic is what you're after... there is no replacement.

Good luck!
Old 10-09-2024 | 03:34 PM
20 Year Member

Bad_driver,

Love the post, thank you for the help. I’ll dig around and share my findings.
Old 10-10-2024 | 04:21 PM
20 Year Member

Hi guys, an update for you. I may give up on trying to plug in the Bluetooth adapter to the CD Changer harness in the trunk. Seems like it may be possible but no clear way and I'm not sure I want to reinvent the wheel right now.

Today I purchased a GROM-BT3 that is suppose to be compatible with the 2001 AP1 OEM Radio. This one: https://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_adap...interface.html

Looking at the Grom plug, it's the same blue male plug as the cd changer in my car, which is a good sign. Here's a picture of the Grom unit I just got, you can see the blue male plug:

Looking at a random photo of the back of an AP1 OEM radio, it looks like there's a female port (red arrow) for the blue male plug, so I'm guessing I plug the grom right into here and we're good to go. Not as clean as the trunk I'd say but I'll try installing and report back!

The following 2 users liked this post by super-S2:
bad_driver (10-10-2024), Mister D (10-10-2024)
Old 10-10-2024 | 11:18 PM

Glad you found some sort of solution to fit it. I bet in the future you could probably find some sort male to female adapter for that plug.
Old 10-11-2024 | 05:01 PM
Member (Premium)

Hey, I was in the same situation and bought this bluetooth adapter: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32713336195.html The nice this about it is that you can plug in your own bluetooth module - like this bluetooth 5.0 module:
Amazon Amazon

I haven't tested all of this but hope to have it all together on Monday.
The following users liked this post:
bad_driver (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 01:37 PM
20 Year Member

Hi, how'd the project go? Was wondering why you like that bluetooth 5.0 module better than the Grom one I bought.

I'm actually driving up to Formula S this Saturday to have the entire car checked out, so I'll pop in the Grom unit then and report back.

I'm realizing that to plug in one of these BT units to our AP1 CD Changer in the trunk, we need a female to female adapter wire. So the new question is, does anyone know where we can buy the female blue adapter plug to make this?

Originally Posted by 9K2RDLN
Hey, I was in the same situation and bought this bluetooth adapter: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32713336195.html The nice this about it is that you can plug in your own bluetooth module - like this bluetooth 5.0 module: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't tested all of this but hope to have it all together on Monday.
Old Yesterday | 02:04 PM
Member (Premium)

I'm still in the midst of it. Got everything hooked up but haven't tried the tplink 5.0 module yet. I'll need to download drivers to configure it before I can plug it in to the YT-M06-HON1. I did get the YT-M06-HON1 working with the UBT module it comes with, which i think is just an older generic wireless usb bluetooth module of an older spec. Seems to work pretty good! However I've run into a few connectivity issues... Need more time with it because it could be user error.

Quick Reply: AP1 only BT adapter for OEM cd changer