S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Another Radar Detector thread

Old 12-26-2005, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys....

I think I will go with the x50 for the"bang for the buck" attribute. I do not go but 10-15 over on the Interstate (the only place I would need it), so the arrows are not really needed.

As far as falses, they were legitimate falses. I was in the middle of NO WHERE.....not even a street light for ~30 miles (nothing but trees). It was the middle of the day on a 4 lane highway in Po-Dunk Florida (Highway 19 between Chiefland and Perry for any Florida Natives). I got a STRONG reading for a good 5-7 miles. Fading, dying, then punching in strong as hell again. Non-stop for 5-7 miles. Every time it spiked, I would look around, and sure enough, nothing but trees. This was the middle of the day, so I would have seen a squad car.

A second thing that kinda freaked me out was earlier in the day, I was on the Veteran's Memorial Turnpike just north of Tampa. I come over a hill, and there is a highway Patrol Car just sitting there. He took off in the other direction after someone going South, but his radar must have been active, as he JUST took off after someone. The 8500 didnt even blink.....not even a Level 1 warning. I think the cop must have been running Laser. It was alarming, nonetheless.

Also, is there a DIY on how to hard wire the 8500 x50 (as the cord running all the way to the center console got old REAL quick)? Is there a remote display available, like the V1? Recommended mounting positions? (I had it low on the dash, between the wipers the other day)

Thanks again

John
Old 12-26-2005, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have links to a couple hardwire threads in the FAQ.

the X50 has a remote alert of sorts, but no where near as comprehensive as the V1.

As far as falses, they were legitimate falses. I was in the middle of NO WHERE.....not even a street light for ~30 miles (nothing but trees). It was the middle of the day on a 4 lane highway in Po-Dunk Florida (Highway 19 between Chiefland and Perry for any Florida Natives). I got a STRONG reading for a good 5-7 miles. Fading, dying, then punching in strong as hell again. Non-stop for 5-7 miles. Every time it spiked, I would look around, and sure enough, nothing but trees. This was the middle of the day, so I would have seen a squad car.
weird.
straight road? and was it X, K or KA? any possibility of verifying w/ locals if they have also had similiar experiences?
also, do you have a car alarm w/ a proximity detector?
Old 12-26-2005, 09:01 AM

It was pretty straight.....a few turns, but nothing like switch-back. Nope, no alarm or Prox. sensor yet. It registered Ka and K bands. It switched between the two....Ka, then K, then Ka again.
Nope, no way to verify, just passing through.

Just what I thought....wierd. Only thing I can think of is there is a LOT of hunting in that area, and some hunters use fixed position radar devices to track their game and dogs.....but it should not be nearly powerful enough to trip the detector, plus they are usually WAY back in the woods, where trees would block the signal.

John
Old 12-26-2005, 06:54 PM

I have an X50 and I stand behind it 100%, it is really that good . When I am on the parkway and I hear it beep I know to slow down as it doesn't give me false alarms very often. The only time that it beeps and I know that it is BS is when I am driving around town with a lot of stores, but I don't/can't speed down those roads so it doesn't matter very much. On the expressway it is VERY good at picking up radar and giving you a good warning, and I would highly reccommend it to anyone looking for a radar detector.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PJK3,Dec 26 2005, 08:27 AM
all the RMR gear is crap -- thick, deep, and stinky.

don't touch it.

i've never seen anyone review those things well, and their claims of being jammers are simply outright lies.

i have had people i know who own them, and frankly - their lack of range was simply shocking.

crap crap crap crap crap.
Well for crap- they do give you a one year warranty for speeding tickets (within a certain range of course.). That's pretty good..... and considering that I have been scanned at 75 in a 55 on Ka band from a police officer directly in front of me- I can't complain. You should really try it! I think radar/ laser detectors are great, but why not combine that with a protective tech too? If you are spending money for that, you might as well go all the way. But thats just my two cents. Nothing that I have heard or picked up from reading reviews, just from real experience. Hopefully it has provided some benefit to the creator of this thread.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:37 AM

I got the Bel RX65 and V1. both false. you just have to get familiar on which alert is actually geniune vs. false.

get what you afford is my answer.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Former Moderator

I find all these radar detectors are becoming worthless. I had my V1 for one week when i come over the crest of a hill with no warning. As sson as i get over the top... bam full alert. Good thing I was ghosting another car in the slow lane and he got nabbed. I sold my V1 to one of you not long after that.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by bludprix,Dec 27 2005, 08:48 AM
Well for crap- they do give you a one year warranty for speeding tickets (within a certain range of course.). That's pretty good..... and considering that I have been scanned at 75 in a 55 on Ka band from a police officer directly in front of me- I can't complain. You should really try it! I think radar/ laser detectors are great, but why not combine that with a protective tech too? If you are spending money for that, you might as well go all the way. But thats just my two cents. Nothing that I have heard or picked up from reading reviews, just from real experience. Hopefully it has provided some benefit to the creator of this thread.
considering that every single documented test i've ever seen (and i've read quite a few) that tested either the RMR's detection abilities and/or it's "scrambling/jamming" abilities found it to be one of the worst performers on the market?
http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleID=8501
http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleID=6000
(these are just 2 quick ones i knew where to find. while radartest is known to be biased vs the V1 - his reviews are otherwise pretty solid.)

yeah, i'd still say it's crap. you got lucky. and i do hate giving people bad news, and spending $300+ on something that's a bad performer is bad news... try to get your money back, and so you aren't stuck w/ something that's the worst performing unit on the market.

oh, and did i mention? the use of radar jammers is nationally prohibited by the FCC. so, any company that actually MAKES a jammer, would not advertise it, as they would be subject to federal prosectution. and if it were actually actively jamming radar, you'd also be subject to federal prosecution.
http://www.speedzones.com/jammers.html

----
i still find my #1 most useful anti-ticket technique is MUB's. Miscellaneous Unexplained Braking.
if the cars ahead of you start braking for an unexplained reason -- it's probably a cop.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PJK3,Dec 27 2005, 07:17 PM
if the cars ahead of you start braking for an unexplained reason -- it's probably a cop.

Not sure if this was asked yet or if you pointed it out, but where do you put your detectors? I've seen many people mount them on the windshield, so if a cop drives by and sees you, can he give you a ticket for it?
I disagree with you on this one. If I stop, it's probably because I saw some hot chick on the road
Old 12-29-2005, 07:55 AM
Former Moderator

I agree with Phil. Its not a real jammer. If it was, they would never be able to advertise it.

Quick Reply: Another Radar Detector thread