S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

amp wiring

Old 04-21-2003, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp wiring

Has anyone installed there stereo using a 0 gauge amp kit. Would the wire fit through the firewall?
Old 04-21-2003, 09:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For Christ's sake, how much power are you planning on using?! Anything pulling enough power to properly use a 0 Guage wire is going to overpower the stock battery and alternator That's suitable for 250-300 Amps!!!

It'll fit, but WHY?!
Old 04-21-2003, 09:28 PM

two linear power amps. 2.2hv and 3.2hv. check out the website

http://www.linearpower.com/html/index2.html
Old 04-22-2003, 10:59 AM

The maximum amperage rating for the amplifier can be identified either by size of the fuse that is included with it, or the size recommended in the amplifier's manual.(If you are using multiple amplifiers wired through a distribution block or if your amp has multiple fuses, just add all of the values together.)
Old 04-22-2003, 11:03 AM

"MONSTER CABLE " makes a ton of dough taking advantage of audio newbies .
Salesmen will gladly sell it.

Last time I went to shop for a Home theatre system for 300 Dollars the salesman tried to sell me some monster Cables for another 150 Dollars even though the system came with wires.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:06 AM

at the same time i was using regular speaker wire for my home audio system. 1000 dollar hardon/karbon base unit and a 300 dollar jbl center and 100 dollar fronts. I purchaced some monster audio cable and IMMEDIATLY noticed a difference in the quality of sound. the difference was amazing!
Old 04-22-2003, 11:36 AM

interconnects? yeah
speakers? ahhh, maybe...
power? hell no.

i ran 1400 watts off 6ga, 10 feet. i had been running it at 10ga but it kept over heating. power wire uppped its efficency and it stoped shutting down. hit for over 140bd outta 2 10s with that setup.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by simioen
at the same time i was using regular speaker wire for my home audio system. 1000 dollar hardon/karbon base unit and a 300 dollar jbl center and 100 dollar fronts. I purchaced some monster audio cable and IMMEDIATLY noticed a difference in the quality of sound. the difference was amazing!

for a basic home system, cabling doesn't really matter... but as you spend more on gear and your resolution increases - cabling will become your weak link if you're not careful... i have a great deal of money tied up in high quality cabling at home... and it definitely does make a noticeable difference in sound quality, but i also have a great deal of money tied up in audiophile grade equipment as well (high end, but not exotic).

still, in a vehicle i always question the use of exotic cabling since cars are inherently noisy... your background noise levels are so high that exotic cabling becomes questionable, as the road, engine, and wind noise are much more serious 'enemies' to sound quality... i've found that the basic Streetwires RCAs and power wire are more than adequate for even closed cabin needs.

still, back to the real topic -- 0 gauge seems highly excessive to me as well... 4 gauge seems much more reasonable to me... save your money for something more useful...
Old 04-22-2003, 12:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quality cabling helps UP TO A POINT! I guarantee in a double blind test you will be able to notice absolutely ZERO difference between Romex (the stuff used to wire the lights and sockets in your house/apartment) and a monster cable. There have been so many tests done where the results amounted to practically the same percentage of correct answers as guessing. People spend so much money on wires they NEED to hear a difference to justify the money thrown away, so they end up "hearing" a difference. Granted, if you were using cheap, thin wire to begin with all bets are off, but be realistic.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:18 PM

, if they start talking to you about skin effect, you should start .

Quick Reply: amp wiring