S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Amp Takes me from 5 out of 10 to ...?

Old 03-07-2005, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sigh. Yes, I've had a stock Civic HU, an Aiwa, an Alpine, and now the the stock S2K HU. Side by side, there is a difference, but not much to my ears, certainly not night and day, and not enough to override my criteria for keeping it stock if I can (and my criteria are not going to be everyone's criteria):

1 - Dash controls. You can rewire, but it's another hassle and expense.

2 - Ipod connector. I have a direct connection to the stock headunit through the changer port. More hassle and expense to make it work with a new HU.

3 - I like the sound quality I have. Comparison's got nothing to do with like and dislike. If you go to bestbuy and look at all the TVs side by side, some will look dramatically better than others, but you can still say "I would be happy with this set" even if there's one next to it that's better. If you think the sotck HU sucks, that's great, but you're never going to convince me it's terrible when my own ears think it's just fine.

4 - Stock look. Yes, there is a door to cover the HU. Yes, there are conservative looking HUs out there. It's completely subjective, just like my apparently superhuman ability to tolerate the sound quality of the stock headunit, but I like the stock look. It's not the only reason, and not the biggest reason, but I've looked and I have yet to see an aftermarket unit that I like (including the one posted above).

Read JawKnee's orignal post. There are good reasons for upgrading the HU, but there are some reasons why he may not want to, like the extra cost of rewiring the factory cd changer and dash controls. I can't figure out why letting someone make up their own mind is so upsetting.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:19 AM

Well all I can say it you must have never tuned it right or something because it is night/day because if you can't hear the difference there must be something wrong.

But whatever its not my car so it doesn't matter to me. You must not really care about car audio if you like the stock HU... oh ya this is just my opinion... however 99% of people here would agree with me.

BTW its not upsetting to let someone make up their own mind, what is upsetting is when people give advise about something they clearly know nothing about.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:17 PM

i was under the impression that people posted their questions to get good advice. Advice from people who are knowledgeable and willing to share some of their experiences, ultimately to lead us all to better solutions.

What people choose to do with that advice is totally up to them. Have it your way!

OK BLUEDEVIL I respond to you adamant post:

Old 03-07-2005, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all again for your valuable input. In short, it reaffirmed my thought that nothing would be worth it unless I swapped out the stock HU.

With that said, I'll just rock my setup for a little longer and revisit swapping out the stock HU in the future.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darkknight1999,Mar 6 2005, 10:19 PM
Just start with a new HU. The stock one as you've pointed out a few times is the weakest link. So way would you consider starting with some else if you already know the biggest problem.

Everyone I know on this board that replaces their HU never regrets it. Just changing the HU will make a world of difference trust me. As mentioned earlier in this thread you can do this for less than $350 bucks
took me a while BUT now with Darknight

head unit was one of the best upgrades i've done so far

"can you hear me now?? "

me

nope cause i'm deaf
Old 03-07-2005, 03:37 PM

Thanks Dave, I almost wrote that exact same thing point-by-point but didn't have the time. I agree 100%.

The somewhat funny thing about this whole thread is that there's really only a single right answer: removing the stock HU. Everything else will be jerryrigged and expensive (time is money and specialized adapters, while a good suggestion for the original post, are not cheap either). I can see arguments about which components are best for someone's taste, but this was a cut and dry topic. Oh well
Old 03-07-2005, 03:44 PM

^ true and true!!

Bass - Should I bring along a set of ear plugs for you on friday?
Old 03-07-2005, 03:46 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by flitcroft,Mar 8 2005, 10:37 AM
The somewhat funny thing about this whole thread is that there's really only a single right answer: removing the stock HU.
That has to be one of the more arrogant, closeminded and incendiary statements I've seen on S2ki.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:53 PM

Aus - Do you think keeping the stock HU is a good idea?
Old 03-07-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Not necessarily. In fact I swapped mine out in 2000. But to read through a range of opinions and wait until one side is no longer posting, then state that 'there's really only a single right answer' is, as I stated, arrogant, closeminded and incendiary.

Believe it or not, for some people the best solution is a cheap amp and speakers (like $250 worth). I have a crappy little Sony 2 channel with line level inputs and some totally consumer level speakers and although this won't impress anyone with an audio bent it is a dramatic improvement on a stock system. Not saying it is the best solution for everyone, nor that others who disagree are wrong, just that to not be open to the idea is ignorant.