S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Amp Takes me from 5 out of 10 to ...?

Old 03-04-2005, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amp Takes me from 5 out of 10 to ...?

In short, let's say the stock HU powering the stock fronts as well as some 5.25" 2-way Kenwoods in the rear panels is a 5 on a scale of 10.

I know the stock HU is the weakest link, but where would an amp (~$300 +/- $50) bring me on that scale using the above as a reference? A 6?

What about adding an amp and upgrading the front speakers while retaining the stock HU and the rear Kenwoods? A 7?

My main goal is to increase volume and clarity to help combat the noise (wind and road) while not spending much as I don't want to spend "a lot" on a "system" for a roadster.

Are any of those options "worth it"?

Finally, I have the factory CD changer and is there anyway possible that I can use it with an aftermarket HU? I assume the answer is no. If the answer is yes, than that opens up a lot more options for me.

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2005, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude,
before getting an amp: REPLACE THE HEADUNIT. with a alpine 9833 you will be at a 7, if what you've got is a 5 now.

More gains from a decent HU than an amp at this point. An amp will demolish the stock fronts.

I don't know about the cd changer though. you've got a 2005, what kind changer is that and what will work with it? EJ's ?
Old 03-04-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Willie Gee,Mar 4 2005, 05:32 PM
dude,
before getting an amp: REPLACE THE HEADUNIT. with a alpine 9833 you will be at a 7, if what you've got is a 5 now.

More gains from a decent HU than an amp at this point. An amp will demolish the stock fronts.

I don't know about the cd changer though. you've got a 2005, what kind changer is that and what will work with it? EJ's ?
Thanks for your input. In short, I want to explore options that retain the stock headunit although it's the weakest link by far.

What about adding an amp and upgrading the fronts while retaining the stock HU?

I believe the stock 8-disc changer is an Alpine unit, but I'm not positive.

What's an EJ?

I'm sure the conclusion is that it will not be worth it at all unless I change the headunit.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by JawKnee,Mar 4 2005, 05:41 PM
I'm sure the conclusion is that it will not be worth it at all unless I change the headunit.
Correct*. Your number system with a stock headunit is irrelevant to any setup that replaces the headunit with a quality CD player. I should link to my experience in my sig or something. I wanted the same thing, but mostly to keep the dash buttons, and replaced the paper speakers with audiophile grade speakers, added a competition amp, replaced all the cabling, interconnects, and power connects with top of the line gear and my system sounded worse than stock. My deducement was that I could now hear how bad the OEM HU really is. It's terrible!

Do yourself a favor and ditch the stock headunit and OEM CD changer (sell both on the board) and pickup a better aftermarket CD changer or iPod hookup. My guess is that you could do this swap to greatly reduce your sound (an 11 on your scale ) all while spending little or no money out of pocket. Post again if you want tips on good deals.

* My HU was MY03. I can't tell you for sure about other years but they appear to all be about the same in sound quality.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:11 PM

EJ = electronics junkie. And yes while there are many, many adapters to handle aftermarket Cd changers to your stock HU, i'm having trouble finding an adapter that will connect your stock changer to an aftermarket HU. I think a call to logjam electronics might be a good start... logjam

If you can find an a adapter, you can keep your changer with a new HU.

But, honestly many people have tried to amp the stock HU and add speakers with minor success at best. Unfortunately the consensus is garbage in--> garbage out. The HU has a lousy DA converter and you need to get a line adapter to add an Amp.

and even after doing so (many have tried including flitcroft) there was little improvement. As Flitcroft points out "My deducement was that I could now hear how bad the OEM HU really is. It's terrible!"

sorry to give the bad news
Old 03-05-2005, 04:12 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For under $350 you can change the headunit while keeping your dash controls, and as my brethren have said be on your way to a great system. This alone with your current speaker setup would be a noticeable difference. Then if you want it to be louder upgrade your front speakers and amp them. Then if you want more bass add the sub. This is how I built my system over time. In your case if after you change the headunit it meets your needs your done. Also, this is an MP3 capable headunit so you can burn a ton of music to one cd, and there is no need to have a changer. I use to have one until I realized I could put more than 8 albums on a cd. Although, now I'm looking at the Ipod option.

Alpine CDA 9833 $299.00
Modifry's DCI (Dash Control Interface) $108.00
Old 03-05-2005, 07:11 PM

Dude, change the HU. I changed mine to an ALPINE. Took the sound to a 5. Added Infinity Component speakers, went to a 7. Just added a sub and 2 amps....now I'm freakin def.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:39 AM

[QUOTE=JawKnee,Mar 4 2005, 07:55 PM] What about adding an amp and upgrading the front speakers while retaining the stock HU and the rear Kenwoods?
Old 03-06-2005, 05:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmm, and amp will destroy the crap speakers so get a headunit! Anybody see the obvious there. If the speakers are so crap wouldn't you replace them first?

The stock head unit is very average, but if your goals is not high quality audio clarity I recommend a consumer level amp and speaker upgrade. You'll get away with it for $250 and the improvement will be substantial.

If your requirements are higher than that then HU, Modifry DCI, amp, speakers and changer.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=BlueDevil34,Mar 6 2005, 07:39 AM] You do not HAVE to get a new headunit.

Quick Reply: Amp Takes me from 5 out of 10 to ...?