S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Amp Recomendation Please

Old 10-02-2004, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp Recomendation Please

I have four component speakers (front and SPODs) all speakers are about 50rms - 100 peak
I do not want or need an amp that is pretty to look at
I have an infinity perfect 10.1 subwoofer driven by audiobahn 26OiQ yet to be installed

Please recommend an Amp for the 4 speakers
Please advise as to the gauge power wire to both my audiobahn and the new amp recommendation

Thanks
Old 10-04-2004, 09:03 AM

I'm responding because you said please.

You likely haven't gotten responses because:

1. You didn't indicate what your budget is.

2. You didn't indicate where you plan to install this second amp. Is space a consideration for you?

3. If you're requirements are really as generic as you list here, any 200-400wrms 4 channel amp from a reputable manufacturer will get the job done.

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by SCoach,Oct 4 2004, 12:03 PM
I'm responding because you said please.

You likely haven't gotten responses because:

1. You didn't indicate what your budget is.

2. You didn't indicate where you plan to install this second amp. Is space a consideration for you?

3. If you're requirements are really as generic as you list here, any 200-400wrms 4 channel amp from a reputable manufacturer will get the job done.

Good luck!
Thanks I wondered what I did wrong.

I am not that concerned with budget but I am concerned with size - I want as small as possible yet dependable electronically - I think it should have its own fan cooling as it will end up in the trunk - where in the trunk depends on its size. So I am looking for 200-400 four channel at 4 ohms prefer small over large but want a solid unit built to last and not touchy electronically.

Any suggestions?

Also I plan on using 8 gauge from battery to amp which was my second question.

I guess the people who are the best are tired of not getting enough info the first time - I apologize and am happy there is one exception
Old 10-04-2004, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by J Nick,Oct 2 2004, 03:22 AM
all speakers are about 50rms - 100 peak
Your speakers are 50 -100 watts peak? That's roughly 22 - 44 watts RMS. That's a little low sounding to me. What speakers do you have in there?

I'll assume you want fair price and performance. With that, I'd check out the Soundstream Edge, Xtream, and Van Gogh lines (the latter being extremely good).

EGA 560.4: 60 watts RMS x4 @ $190:
http://www.discountjungle.net/soeg560wa4ch.html

Other choices:
Phoenix Gold Tantrum 400.4: 50 watts RMS x 4 @ $272
(Note: I'd choose the Soundstream even if they were the same price)
http://www.discountjungle.net/phgota404car.html

Audiobahn 50x4 @ $180:
http://www.discountjungle.net/auda450w4chm.html

Many, many more:
http://www.discountjungle.net/amplifier.html

Price range is important though. Does this look good or would you rather step up in quality and move to the $300 - $400 range? In that range you're looking at Van Gogh and Tarantula in the Soundstreams and Phoenix Gold Ti and Xenon amps. Without knowing what speakers these are powering I couldn't guess which is better for you (although if your speakers are really 50 - 100 watts peak, I can make a good guess).
Old 10-05-2004, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by flitcroft,Oct 4 2004, 06:49 PM
Your speakers are 50 -100 watts peak? That's roughly 22 - 44 watts RMS. That's a little low sounding to me. What speakers do you have in there?

I'll assume you want fair price and performance. With that, I'd check out the Soundstream Edge, Xtream, and Van Gogh lines (the latter being extremely good).

EGA 560.4: 60 watts RMS x4 @ $190:
http://www.discountjungle.net/soeg560wa4ch.html

Other choices:
Phoenix Gold Tantrum 400.4: 50 watts RMS x 4 @ $272
(Note: I'd choose the Soundstream even if they were the same price)
http://www.discountjungle.net/phgota404car.html

Audiobahn 50x4 @ $180:
http://www.discountjungle.net/auda450w4chm.html

Many, many more:
http://www.discountjungle.net/amplifier.html

Price range is important though. Does this look good or would you rather step up in quality and move to the $300 - $400 range? In that range you're looking at Van Gogh and Tarantula in the Soundstreams and Phoenix Gold Ti and Xenon amps. Without knowing what speakers these are powering I couldn't guess which is better for you (although if your speakers are really 50 - 100 watts peak, I can make a good guess).
I meant to say they are about 50 rms and 100 peak

I have in the doors Rockford Fosgate FNP2614U 6-1/2" fanatic P Components
frequency response 61-20,000 Hz
power range 8-50 watts RMS
peak power handling 100 watts
sensitivity 88.9 dB

I have in SPods Crystal Cpe 50s Peak Power Handling 120 Watts
RMS Power Handling 60 Watts
Sensitivity 90 dB
Impedance 4 ohm
Frequency Response 85Hz - 21KHz

Maybe in futrure I would step up but not really to get more volume - I got these early on before I've learned a bit more and trying not to make the same mistake going forward - I would like to see what they do with a proper amp. Although I really don't need more volume than these could put out just quality when driven to their potential with the right amp

I would pay more for an amp - I ws thinking the amp for the yet to be installed sub may not be the best choice -
going to crutchfield advisor they say "If you're using your amp strictly for bass, consider a mono subwoofer amplifier. These single-channel workhorses are designed specifically for low-frequency reproduction, with built-in bass boost and low-pass filter. Some mono amps feature Class D design
Old 10-05-2004, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by flitcroft,Oct 4 2004, 06:49 PM
ps

Maybe a sounstream van go VGA800.5 will drive everything?
Old 10-05-2004, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by J Nick,Oct 5 2004, 06:08 AM
ps

Maybe a sounstream van go VGA800.5 will drive everything?
If you don't want to install your other amp you can certainly go with the VGA 800.5. Just know that this thing is several steps up from the rest of your system, but of course that's always a good thing This amp is a monster in SQ, as well as physical size. Double-check the measurements of your spare tire well. It may just fit or it may be a bit bigger than that whole area (remember room for the wiring, about +2" in width). It's too big to be mounted vertically at the back-left of the trunk.

DiscountJungle's price is excellent on that amp, btw. Soundstream's product output is funny. Many places are way over MSRP on that model.

If you go with the VGA definitely post pics!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by flitcroft,Oct 5 2004, 12:34 PM
If you don't want to install your other amp you can certainly go with the VGA 800.5. Just know that this thing is several steps up from the rest of your system, but of course that's always a good thing This amp is a monster in SQ, as well as physical size. Double-check the measurements of your spare tire well. It may just fit or it may be a bit bigger than that whole area (remember room for the wiring, about +2" in width). It's too big to be mounted vertically at the back-left of the trunk.

DiscountJungle's price is excellent on that amp, btw. Soundstream's product output is funny. Many places are way over MSRP on that model.

If you go with the VGA definitely post pics!
In what way is it several steps - its driving 4 at 50 which is about right for my speakers and 1 at 200 for the subwoofer? ignorant question how does the fact that its 4by50 at 4ohms v. 4by100 at 2ohms play into my decision.

11.2 x 2.6 x 19.7 may be smaller than 2 amps

What do you mean by "SQ" oh, betting its sound quality - I like that - don't mind being forced to go with better speakers sometime out in the future -
Old 10-05-2004, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by J Nick,Oct 5 2004, 09:57 AM
In what way is it several steps - its driving 4 at 50 which is about right for my speakers and 1 at 200 for the subwoofer? ignorant question how does the fact that its 4by50 at 4ohms v. 4by100 at 2ohms play into my decision.

11.2 x 2.6 x 19.7 may be smaller than 2 amps

What do you mean by "SQ" oh, betting its sound quality - I like that - don't mind being forced to go with better speakers sometime out in the future -
I meant it is several steps up in quality than the rest of your gear. SQ means sound quality (while SPL is Sound Pressure Level -- those are two generally conflicting goals in high dollar car audio equipment).

Most definitely one amp driving multiple channels is smaller than serveral amps, in nearly all cases. I have an amp nearly that big that is just for two channels... and my subwoofer amp may be even bigger.

Your amp will definitely fit in the tool well. It will be nice and snug though, and it will be a tough install (but will look cleaner without a lot of gaps around it). My sub amp is 19.5 x 12.25 x 4" and it fits perfectly there.

I'm not a wiring expert but i think the resistance is affected by how you wire the voice coils in the speakers. Dave would know better (NFR... -- he's always on the board ) or Google would find that out. 4 ohms is pretty standard for high level speakers (non-subwoofers).

Also, keep in mind that this is a whopping 800 watt RMS amp. You'll probably find that you'll have an insanely high amount of headroom on your speakers. Basically, that means that your average wattage will be steady at 50 watts per channel RMS, but that the amp will cleanly spike or peak much higher than that, behaving like a lesser amp at maybe 1.75x - 2.0x the indicated voltage of this amp. My Soundstream TR 700/2 that powers my subs weighs 28.5 lbs. Keep that in mind too -- this won't be a 4 lbs Radioshack amp...

Hope that helps.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by flitcroft,Oct 5 2004, 06:36 PM
I meant it is several steps up in quality than the rest of your gear. SQ means sound quality (while SPL is Sound Pressure Level -- those are two generally conflicting goals in high dollar car audio equipment).

Most definitely one amp driving multiple channels is smaller than serveral amps, in nearly all cases. I have an amp nearly that big that is just for two channels... and my subwoofer amp may be even bigger.

Your amp will definitely fit in the tool well. It will be nice and snug though, and it will be a tough install (but will look cleaner without a lot of gaps around it). My sub amp is 19.5 x 12.25 x 4" and it fits perfectly there.

I'm not a wiring expert but i think the resistance is affected by how you wire the voice coils in the speakers. Dave would know better (NFR... -- he's always on the board ) or Google would find that out. 4 ohms is pretty standard for high level speakers (non-subwoofers).

Also, keep in mind that this is a whopping 800 watt RMS amp. You'll probably find that you'll have an insanely high amount of headroom on your speakers. Basically, that means that your average wattage will be steady at 50 watts per channel RMS, but that the amp will cleanly spike or peak much higher than that, behaving like a lesser amp at maybe 1.75x - 2.0x the indicated voltage of this amp. My Soundstream TR 700/2 that powers my subs weighs 28.5 lbs. Keep that in mind too -- this won't be a 4 lbs Radioshack amp...

Hope that helps.
So if I understand your advice:

1)This amp is of a quality and nature to offer some of the best sound quality and do so at higher volums then my currect unamped Alp. 9815 (which at this point I can not turn the volume up beyond 18 of 36 clicks with starting to experince distortion and will be a great selection for if/when I upgrade my components and also drive the infinity 10.1 which is not dual voice

2) I plan on a tool well install setting it in and covering for stealth with 3/8 inch plywood covered with our carpet with vents for air circulation - raised a bit to allow for air movement this amp does have fans - right? And mounting the 10 sub to the left up on the step

3) I am not sure what you mean "by how you wire the voice coils in the speakers"
its 5 channel so I planned on just hooking up two wires for each speaker to the speakers crossovers where applicable and fine tune crossover points withe the alpine and/or amp

4)the watts were a concern for me when I assume turning everything up full blast - which I will never do I wonder if the set up is too much for our car without modifying the alternator/battery - but I am not understanding you explanation as to "Basically, that means that your average wattage will be steady at 50 watts per channel RMS, but that the amp will cleanly spike or peak much higher than that, behaving like a lesser amp at maybe 1.75x - 2.0x the indicated voltage of this amp. So I do not know what you mean by headroom. Is this good? Does this mean that I have a potential for 800*2/13.8 volts = amps which tax the battery/alternator a little much?

Thank you very much for your assist - I could have gone with a lesser 4*50 and not waded into this discussion but I wanted to learn more and have more potnetial for quality - I do not need pounding sounds just stong clean sound with faint rich bass - don't think me lazy - I have studied many explanations of this stuff but it does not come easy - I am good at many things but real ignorant about electricity

Quick Reply: Amp Recomendation Please