S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

amp Amp AMPLIFIER!!! but which one?

Old 04-29-2001, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a chance to listen to several of my own cds at the local stereo shop today. The guys were away. Only the video rental part was open, so I had lots of time with no salesmen.

Their board is set up to let you choose speakers, heads and with or without amp; but with equal volume throughout. Very nice.

It was obvious almost immediately that the presence of an amp makes a huge difference. I played my cds through various heads using speakers similar to my Kenwood KFC xr600s and all the stock heads put out tons of distortion at all volumes above 2/3rds of max. Switch in an amp and the distortion is gone--at the same listening level.

So, I've decided to add an amp before replacing the stock head. Now... which one?

Does it make a difference?

I love the looks and "sissle" of the Phoenix Gold zx400ti but it costs $565 (plus tax) including the speaker level to line level converter. I love the cost of the Alpine MRV T407. It includes speaker level inputs for $190 (internet price). I don't know the cost of the Autotec 80 MXI or the MTX2120.

Okay. Here's the question. Assuming, I keep the stock head, keep the Kenwood KFC xr600s, don't care about a subwoofer, which is the BEST without being just stupid overkill. I might upgrade the head unit after getting the amp, but I think I will really notice a new amp improving the sound.

Phoenix Gold zx400ti (cdelena's choice--appealing to me)
Autotek 80 MXI (Pinky's choice--an acknowledge car stereo expert)
MTX2120 CoralDoc's choice
Alpine MRV-T407 Luis's choice (my "sensible" pick)
Sony XM1002HX or XM1502SX--two that MacGyver is considering for Michelle.
something else I haven't considered?

All advice welcomed. I am going to get one and have it professionally installed.

I realize that if I crank up the stock head to max volume I'll be feeding distortion to the amp. I won't do that.
Old 04-29-2001, 03:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Barry,

They no longer manufacture the 1002, but I'm sure plenty of places still have them in stock..it will fit under the driver's seat. The 1502 I think is larger and may not fit...I don't remember if I truly checked for a fit or not, but look into it first.
Old 04-29-2001, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might want to check into amps by:
a/d/s
ppi
Old 04-30-2001, 06:38 AM

Barry,

I will second the notion of looking into a PPI (Precision Power) amp. I found a small 2 channel one on ebay, new, in the box for around 200. These amps are wonderful for two reasons. The power is incredibly clean, and they are stable at two ohms. This allows you to increase the power to the two front speakers to around 180watts/channel. The amp has speaker level inputs, although I switched out the head unit.

Just my $.02
Old 04-30-2001, 07:47 AM

itsjustme,
How would you double the power? I understand that if you run 2 sets of speakers in paralell the resistance is reduced to 2 ohms and this essentially doubles the power. I am not an expert so please educate me.
Old 04-30-2001, 08:09 AM

Don't forget Xtant. Awesome-sounding, great-looking, and made in the US of A.

http://www.xtant.com

I have an Alpine MRV-F353 in my Subaru, which is nice, but I heard the Xtant 603x yesterday, and there is just NO competition. The clarity coming from that thing is just mind-boggling.

My Alpine'll be up for sale when I get it installed in a couple months though, so if anyone'll need a five-channel amp.... It's not a bad amp at all, I like it a lot, but the Xtant is just incredible.
Old 04-30-2001, 08:44 AM

I got Lunar l60x2's for my setup. Their rated at 60x2, but actually put out like 90x2. these things put out a LOT of power, especially for their size. $269 a piece from http://www.ampmanaudio.com

(No, i don't work for ampmanaudio)

but if you really want THE end-all be-all of amps, get yourself a McIntosh
Old 05-01-2001, 03:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Be sure to check prices on ebay. Many discounters use it for a primary outlet. You will probably be able to get a zx400ti for ~$400 if that is your choice.
Old 05-01-2001, 04:08 PM

Just a comment that I have given many times before... The more expensive and "high-end" an amplifier I have owned, the less reliable it has been. I have spent over $1000 for a single amp and have found out of Hifonics, ADS, Soundstream, PPI, and Alpine that the Alpine amps have been the most reliable and have required the least number of unscheduled "servicings". For the money my Alpine amps provide more transparent power than I need... they qualify as my greatest "bang for the buck". I have 2 MRV-1507s (150x2 with maximum output of 1500W... Alpine's largest two channel amplifiers) and for $499 each they are increadible. One drives my Dynaudio 3-Way and the other a 10" Boston Pro sub. They are actually more than I need so they run very cool and very clean...

Just my experience...
Old 05-02-2001, 07:02 AM

shaner speaks the truth...

I bought the top of the line McIntosh amp for my truck.
Three grand later, the sound is phenominal but its flexability and dependability are questionable because I don't want to have to pay ridiculous fees to have it fixed when I overdrive it.

I too am looking for a good amp and believe that I won't be spending anywhere over $300. There's little reason to overdo anything but power in a convertable.

Quick Reply: amp Amp AMPLIFIER!!! but which one?