S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

ALPINE V12 MRV-T757 amp ... now what sub to go with it?

Old 02-23-2002, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALPINE V12 MRV-T757 amp ... now what sub to go with it?

Just bought an Alpine V12 MRV-T757 2/1 channel amp.

Now what's a good 10" sub for the amp? It will go into a custom box to be seated in the trunk well.

I was thinking of either the Alpine SWR-1040D

http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com:7777/pls/a...ain=10&p_more=y

OR

a JL-Audio 10Wx series

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/10.html

Any suggestions?
Old 02-23-2002, 03:04 PM

How big can the cabinet be?

The all out bad a$$ solution, if you are willing to go with a 12", would be the Adire Audio - Shiva. This is among the best subs available anywhere. The cabinet size may be way to big for you though. Personally, I am not even considering a sub due to the sapce issues.
here is the link: http://www.adireaudio.com/cd/shiva.htm

Other options: How about the Peerless XLS 10" - Look at the madisound webpage for the driver. They have one designed for small cabinets (ie. car audio apps) at the end of the Peerless parts catalog. Check out the x-max on that sub. I am sure it would be good.
http://www.madisound.com/
Old 02-23-2002, 07:22 PM

What's with all of the "Home Audio" recommendations? Everything you are using or suggesting is designed for large enclosures... delicate ribbon tweeters... etc?

Example:
My Dynaudio 3-way automotive speakers were designed with "near field response" in mind... I didn't buy a pair of their home cabinets, take out the drivers, and then install them in my vehicle...

How about some suggestions for automotive applications?
Old 02-23-2002, 07:24 PM

Calvin,

Great choice of amplifier... I had a MRV-757 (still in the box) stolen from my garage a few hours before I was going to install it. I replaced it with a MRV-1507 ($499.00 I couldn't pass it up).
Old 02-23-2002, 11:09 PM

Shaner,

With all due respect, don't be so concerned about drivers designed for home vs. car. The distinctions are largely marketing. The Dynaudios in your car, until fairly recently, had been available to the DIY home audio market for less than half what you paid for them. They are not intrinsically different and there is a long history of people using the DIY Dynaudio drivers in cars with great success. This is particularly true of the 17W75 woofers since they have an exceptionally high Qts - about .75 IIRC.

There is MUCH better value to be had on the DIY home audio side. Personally I dont see the sense in dropping hundreds of dollars on high end Car Audio speakers when I can get something as good or better for WAY less money. Ie. Dynaudio is not the only high end company out there. Look into ScanSpeak, Vifa, Peerless, Focal, Audax, Morel, Seas, Eton...just for starters.

About the ribbons. I have the ribbons now and have been playing with them for about a week. They sound really quite good, both nearfield and farfield. In some respects I like these cheap $30 ribbons more than the top of the line Scan-Speaks in my home system. They are good, they are not fragile, and they are easy to install since they are less than a half inch thick. Not to mention Shaner, Bohlender Graebener have something of a history designing ribbons for cars. Do some research, this idea is not unique to me, and CAN be quite stunning if properly implemented. I can already see the potential with the experimentation I have done to date on the ribbons.

And incidentally, the Peerless driver I recomended earlier in this thread IS a car audio sub. Why not look at the link instead of prejudging by brand name and retailer? You clearly have a sincere interest in quality equipment. Try maintaining an open mind to different solutions than your own, or whatever may be the current standard.

I'll also refer you to the rec.audio.car newsgroup in which both the Shiva and the Peerless XLS subs have been discussed at some length in the past. The Shiva is an awesome sub for both home and car. For someone who values bass more than trunk space, the Shiva is unbeatable at its price point. The Peerless is not as good, but can be had in a 10" and can go into a much smaller cabinet.
Old 02-24-2002, 04:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shaner
[B]Calvin,

Great choice of amplifier... I had a MRV-757 (still in the box) stolen from my garage a few hours before I was going to install it.
Old 02-24-2002, 08:39 AM

I like the Eclipse 87101.4 sub, here is more info on them.

Here are some of the specs:

Fs: 24Hz
Vas: 1.1cuft -> not too big of an enclosure...I think it will fit into the well, not sure as I do not have my S yet so I am not sure of the exact volume available in the well.

I would just drop a single piece of thick MDF into the trunk and cut a hole in it for the sub. Use the MDF as the lid and the well to form the rest of the box. Nice, simple, quick sub box. You can slope the edges at 45 deg and add foam to the edge to minimize air leaks (not that I am greatly worried about it in the trunk of a convertable). You can also use a pair of threaded rods through the 2 holes at the bottom of the well to pull the lid down tighter, again minimizing air leaks and keep it from moving.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:25 AM

Hey Matrix,

Is there much of a diff. between the 87101.4 and the newer 88100.4?

Thanks.
-rick
Old 02-26-2002, 02:59 PM

The 88100.4 will handle more power handling, has a longer cone throw, BUT need a bigger box.

The 88100.4 also has an aluminum cone which is stiffer.

Is it worth it? Depends on the $ difference.

Hope this helps.