S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Alpine system - Help me build it!

Old 12-18-2004 | 05:50 PM
20 Year Member

Default Alpine system - Help me build it!

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my S's sound system and to add an alarm system, but I have some questions and could use some expert opinions!

From my last car, I have part of an Alpine alarm system (brain, radar sensor, wiring harness, but no shock sensor or siren) and a 100w x2 4/3/2 channel Alpine v12 amp.

I also have an iPod that I want to wire into the system. I am looking at a good hu that works with iPods, so I am looking at the Alpine cda-9825 or 9826 with the iPod adapter (kca-420i). I see a lot of ppl here with the higher Alpine hu's, and I'm wondering if the ones above are okay or if I need more.

I initially only want to upgrade the component speakers, and I was thinking JL or Alpine components. I've heard the Alpine will offer better low tones and will be better overall if I don't have a sub. Does anyone here have Alpine speakers, or an opinion on what I should get?

First, do I even need an amp if I run the Alpine hu? The 9825 is 18w x 4 already, 50w peak, so if I run the components through two channels, I could essentially make the sound twice as loud, right? Should I go ahead and just wire the amp in? What kind of difference will it make?

The Alpine alarm was great while in my last car, and I want to use it in a the S since it has a radar sensor that makes it perfect for a convertible, but I'd need to find an Alpine shock sensor and siren to complete the system. Its either use this or spend the money on a new alarm system.

Please give me some feedback!

Thanks,
Old 12-18-2004 | 06:26 PM

I have the Alpine type-x(spx-177r) components and love them. And yes, you will need an amp on them because they are very power hungry. I am powering them with a precision power amp (75 w per channel) and they are loud and clean in conjunction with my sub setup. I find them very equivalent to the JL XR components. I will be selling my Alpines when the JL ZR components begin shipping, because I am always looking for an upgrade or something different. An expensive habit/compulsion.... Good luck with your system selection/build.....
Old 12-18-2004 | 08:39 PM

Before I answer any of your questions what type of music do you like and how do you like it? Do you like shape highs, or slightly more level mids and highs or something with more bass?

You need to give us a little insight into your listening habits.

But as for Alpine... that's what my entire system is made from infact I use so much Alpine products that I actually have a direct # to Mike Vu and Steve Brown from Alpine
Old 12-18-2004 | 10:38 PM
20 Year Member

Hey darkknight, I've seen your set up on these boards - pretty impressive stuff you've got.

I listen to basically rock and hip hop, Zeppelin to NaS, so I m looking for a solution that will best fit a pretty wide range. I'm not looking to set off car alarms (intentionally) but I want good sound and I want it "loud enough".

I think I will install the amp, a new hu and components first, with a sub (possibly in the passenger footwell) and second amp down the road. What I am looking for now are a head unit that will work with my iPod and the dash controls, and the best sound I can get from components in the doors, so I am looking at Alpine. I've had Alpine before and I like it, plus I've got the amp and alarm already...

Also, if I want to keep dash controls using Modfry's DCI unit, do I need to get a hu that is remote ready? This means I need at least the cda-9827?