S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Alpine head unit and subwoofer

Old 08-31-2001, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alpine head unit and subwoofer

I'm thinking about upgrading my sound system very soon. I'm still very undecided as to what I want. I have a new Alpine unit (60w x 4), (27 rms). This is what I was wondering.

1. Alpine unit to the two door speakers (Infinity Kappa) and a small amp just for the 10" sub.

2. Alpine unit with an amp running to the two speakers and with the same amp running the sub. Of course I would need a 4 channel amp.

3. Alpine unit with an amp running to the two speakers and with the same amp running the sub and Lucid's rear speakers running straight from the head unit (no amp).

4. A large 5 channel amp running all four speakers and sub.

Which of these options you think would be best if I still want to keep my spare tire and some trunk space? I know option number 4 would sound best but I'm worry finding a place to put it. Would an 8" sub be powerful enough? I listen to dance music about 95% of the time, which need quite a bit of bass to sound good.
Old 08-31-2001, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using a similar or identical Alpine head with 27 watts rms x 4. My front speakers are Kenwood xr600s. My rear speakers are Polk ex402a speakers I got from lucid. I have no external amp and no sub.

This is a very nice setup. At low volume such as 15 on Alpine's 0-35 scale(city driving or top up) I have an adequate amount of bass and can even boost the bass a little. At moderate volume 20-23 I can hear everything clearly even at 80 mph with the top down, but I sometimes have to use the Alpine's high pass filter to remove bass if the music has a lot of bass and the Alpine and speakers can't handle it. At high volume 30-35 I must use the 160 hz cutoff and even then I sometimes get distortion, but, since adding lucid's rear speakers I really don't ever need to turn up the volume to 30.

I would like to add a moderate powered subwoofer to add back in some bass at the 20-23 settings for highway cruising, but it iis optional.

The very best setup would be to amplify all five channels, but I would experiment with using the Alpine's power first. Try adding lucid's setup with the 4 inch speakers of your choice and see what you think.

My head is the CDA-7876.

I hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2001, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good idea would be to add mids for the rear speakers and amp them.

You'll have full range in the doors, Mids behind you, lows with the sub. Maybe add a tweeter somewhere.
Old 09-02-2001, 04:04 PM

What is the common wisdom for those 4in rear speakers? To amp or not to amp?

My headunit puts out 4x45W peak (an alpine) and is not currently powering anything. I'm considering the Boston RX to install at the rear.
Old 09-02-2001, 05:00 PM

Your head unit is fine to power the Rears. Amping is always better. Put the rears in 1st with the head unit and you'll see the difference, you can always amp them later.

Its always best to upgrade you radio in steps so you notice and appreciate the nuances of improvements.
Old 09-02-2001, 05:01 PM

Here are my thoughts on your setup:
Any quality speaker (say, $70+) has an RMS rating of 60+ watts...Your Alpine puts out less than half of that power. You should try to get as close as possible to the maximum recommended RMS number. Infinity Kappas are excellent speakers (from what I have heard), but you want to give them a lot of power so they can really sound good. This is especially true if you want to listen to dance music, which is bass heavy, and usually you listen to it loudly. Also, regarding rear speakers, I know opinion is split here, but I would (and plan to) use the money I would have spent on rear speakers, and put it towards good quality front speakers, or maybe even components, and forget the rears altogether. There are two schools of thought: that music should envelope, like surround sound, or have a defined stage, like a concert. Putting rear speakers in, unless done exactly right, can kill your sound stage...especially if the rears are closer to your ears than the fronts; it will seem like you are standing with your back to the stage at a concert. As far as the sub goes, I would get a 10" in a sealed enclosure, like a JL, which you can easily disconnect and remove in case you need trunk space. A 10" is, IMHO, perfect, because an 8" doesn't go as low, and a 12", while it may be louder, doesn't have the tightness of a good, adequately powered 10".

Overall, my suggestion is to buy a 75wx4 amp, two high-quality front speakers, and a sealed 10". When I get my S2000, I plan on trying to find space for the amp in the area to the left of the spare tire (looking at the trunk from the rear) behind the driver...supposedly that is just a big cavity? You can use two channels of the amp to power the two front speakers, and bridge the two rear channels to give ~150 watts to the sub...

No matter what you decide, good luck, and have fun looking at your options
Old 09-02-2001, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lucid
[B]Your head unit is fine to power the Rears.
Old 09-02-2001, 05:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the feedbacks. I think this is my plan. ----

Infinity 63.3s in the fronts. No rear speakers for now. Kenwood 849 (50/75 RMS x 4) amp. This thing is so small it's only 10"x10" which fits in the corner of the trunk. Sony Xplod 10" sub in a flat truck sub box (Q Logic) as seen in the Crutchfield catalog. I measure the well in the trunk. This box should should fit nicely in it lying flat with speaker facing up. The amp will hook up the front speakers and the subwoofer. I will make it simple for now, and if it doesn't meet my satisfaction, I will call upon Lucid for his speakers and run a separate 2 channel amp with them. I am just now starting to collect the parts. It will be about a few weeks before everything is done. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!
Old 09-02-2001, 05:40 PM

Take this with a grain of salt, as I have no heard Lucid's rear speaker mod, nor a powerful system in an S2000. That said, my personal opinion is that before you buy a rear speaker set up, buy an amplifier for your fronts, and THEN buy a rear speaker kit if you aren't satisfied. This is versus the other way around, with the rears coming first. My opinion, based on an enthusiast's level of car audio knowledge, is that just the amp will be enough. Depending on what model Kappa you have, max. suggested RMS power is 70-75 watts. I found a Kenwood 75x2 amp for $150 on Crutchfield, which is probably not more than Lucid's mod costs (what is the exact price, anyways, inc. speakers?) I just think that with two extra speakers, you may get, or perceive that you are getting, more average sound, but with two high-powered front speakers, you will get more than enough excellant sound, and not need the rears. This is not intended to be a slam on Lucid at all, btw, I am just of the opinion that two good fronts are better than four average surrounds. Once again, good luck
Old 09-02-2001, 07:05 PM

You just have to hear the rears, then make your judgements.

I would rather see someone like Barry, with a new head unit, and 4 speakers, rather than the stock head with amped doors.

Puttting in an amp is more difficult than doing a head unit install. Its best to do a new head unit install, 1st then decide if you want more (I wanted more, i Have 9 speakers and 2 amps). If you add an amp, go with a good 4 channel, its extra yes, but you'll have the ability to upgrade.

F1 make sure that youre driving a minimum 200rms/400 peak woofer in the truck. MORE IS BETTER.

Quick Reply: Alpine head unit and subwoofer