S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Alpine CDA-105 install ?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine CDA-105 install ?

I installed an Alpine CDA-105 headunit w/ a Modifry wired DCI w/ plug n play harness, and I found when installing the headunit I had to almost force the unit into place as if there wasn't enough room for all the harnesses behind the radio. Is this a normal this with the S?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I pulled some of the extra harness/DCI into the area behind the passenger side removable panel, there's space in there and I had to open it to connect the VSS to the DCI anyways
Old 03-24-2011, 10:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mystery
I installed an Alpine CDA-105 headunit w/ a Modifry wired DCI w/ plug n play harness, and I found when installing the headunit I had to almost force the unit into place as if there wasn't enough room for all the harnesses behind the radio. Is this a normal this with the S?
Yes, at least for me, it was a little tricky to slide it in there.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:51 AM

I got it. Took about an hour or so to get it slid into place. I sure hope I do not have to take it out again anytime soon!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mystery
I got it. Took about an hour or so to get it slid into place. I sure hope I do not have to take it out again anytime soon!
How did you finally get it in place? I am going to install an Alpine CDA-105 with DCI next week.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:09 AM

I just installed the 105 and dci and kpt. Didn't have much of an issue. Just shoved all the wires towards the back and then screwed it in. I guess the screws got me the final half inch or so. May have bent the mounting plate a bit but whatever. Put the usb thru the hole on passenger side.

Door closes fine. Took abt 5 min to shove everything in and screw it down.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:15 PM

I have the same setup and didn't have a major problem. I solved it by neatly folding up the cables behind before sliding the head unit back in. In some other threads it has been mentioned before that there is room along the sides that can be used as well.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:39 PM

I have a CDA-105 + KCE-400BT + Modifry DCI setup. The install took a little bit of work to make tidy -- the cables were rather tight behind the HU. The Modifry harness adapter is very convenient, and I just did some soldering onto the harness adapter for the bluetooth module. The modifry DCI is sticking out a bit to let me adjust the switches if necessary. The BT module is velcro mounted on the shelf under the steering wheel with some zip ties to hold cable slack. All in all, I love the HU's connectivity and the BT is nice. Next step for me is to add nicer speakers, an amp, and maybe a sub. The HU improved the sound, but compared to other cars with higher powered speakers, my sound system is still utter junk.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spurfan are you able to stream bluetooth music from your phone to the head unit? Have you also tried to stream pandora with it as well?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by ryuken
Spurfan are you able to stream bluetooth music from your phone to the head unit? Have you also tried to stream pandora with it as well?
Yup. The CDA-105 has a BT Audio mode that works with my Blackberry. For whatever reason, though, the volume level always seems lower via BT. I.e. if I go from radio or USB to BT, I have to crank the volume up on the HU, even with the phone set to max volume. I assume Pandora would work. I've typically used yourmuze.fm, because I have a few internet radio stations I like listening to while driving.

I use aux input (over headphones) more often than BT. Since the aux input on the CDA-105 is RCA, I have an RCA Male to Male cable and a RCA Female to headphone jack cable as well. It works fine. By far, however, I use USB the most. I bought a 16GB flash stick and put my music on it. Works like a champ. I can navigate the directories through the HU, and it plays crystal clear music without an iPod or anything.

One warning that I figured out: if you use USB, tracks appears on the HU directory listings in the order in which they were written! In other words, if you have albums A B and C, but you write them in order C B A, they will appear as C B A. Even worse, if you tracks aren't numbered properly, they will probably be written in a strange order, so I use consistent numbering for my files -- 00 Track, 01 Track, ..., 10 Track, ... I believe there is some FAT table editor that allows you to reorder stuff on a flash drive, and you can also get Windows to send the files in order if you name & number the songs properly.