S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

alpine amp + speakers, still sounds like crap

Old 08-10-2014, 05:42 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Why are you using the stock head unit again?
Old 08-10-2014, 06:42 AM
oth

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Given that it distorts independent of the headunit volume, it doesn't sound like the stock headunit
is his problem. IMHO he needs a subwoofer with an appropriate amp to produce the bass he's looking for.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bridging the amp I think takes it down to 2 ohms, I'm not a pro but I assume this might your problem. Alpine says your speakers are 4 ohm, try just running 2 ch at 4 ohm.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDog
Bridging the amp I think takes it down to 2 ohms, I'm not a pro but I assume this might your problem. Alpine says your speakers are 4 ohm, try just running 2 ch at 4 ohm.
Resistance doesn't occur in the amp, it occurs at the sub. The amp just puts out ac voltage. Bridging the amp will increase the voltage. I've run many setups in the past with low powered 2 channel that had to be bridged and never in my life ran into problems using the correct root(ohms x watt rms) equation. I try not to bridge but I only do it when I really need to.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PorgyS2K06
Have you metered the amp yet?
not yet, hoping to get to that this upcoming weekend

Originally Posted by starchland
Why are you using the stock head unit again?
i have the oem honda link ipod adapter in my car which i like, and i wanted to keep the stock look, and not have to spend money on a head unit then another $100 on an adapter just to get the dash controls to work again
but now looking at aftermarket headunits with bluetooth streaming, im not so against upgrading

Originally Posted by oth
Given that it distorts independent of the headunit volume, it doesn't sound like the stock headunit
is his problem. IMHO he needs a subwoofer with an appropriate amp to produce the bass he's looking for.
while deep bass is nice, its not necessarily what im looking for, there is no chance im putting a separate sub in my car, i just want a clean sound and to be able to turn it up louder than i was with the stock speakers

Originally Posted by stupkid
Originally Posted by OldDog' timestamp='1407707133' post='23280977
Resistance doesn't occur in the amp, it occurs at the sub. The amp just puts out ac voltage. Bridging the amp will increase the voltage. I've run many setups in the past with low powered 2 channel that had to be bridged and never in my life ran into problems using the correct root(ohms x watt rms) equation. I try not to bridge but I only do it when I really need to.
so do you recommend i put it to 4ch or stick with 2ch? i figured it would be better on 2 since its doubling the power and the speakers are rated for 110w i believe
Old 08-10-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oth
Correct. The fact the speakers only distort in the low frequencies is a positive indicator this has nothing to do with the head unit. Replacing the head unit will not fix the low end distortion. This problem lies between the amp and the speakers.

The amp is seeing 2ohms per channel but the speaker is seeing a 4ohm load.

Just to ensure we are on the same page, this distortion you are hearing. Are you positive its speaker distortion and not panel vibration?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Member (Premium)

Just to ensure we are on the same page, this distortion you are hearing. Are you positive its speaker distortion and not panel vibration?
I really dont think so, but ill know this weekend when i take the panels off..... i really dont think it can be the settings, ive tried so many different things and nothing is helping, unless the amp just isnt that good i really dont know, i cant go passed volume level 30 even with the gain all the way down without some sort of clipping. even at 45watts

I read somewhere that a guy said when he ran an independent power source from the battery that it stopped clipping, so i will try that also, i took my power out of the kick panel fuse box
Old 08-16-2014, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hand banana
Originally Posted by PorgyS2K06' timestamp='1407734837' post='23281310
I really dont think so, but ill know this weekend when i take the panels off..... i really dont think it can be the settings, ive tried so many different things and nothing is helping, unless the amp just isnt that good i really dont know, i cant go passed volume level 30 even with the gain all the way down without some sort of clipping. even at 45watts

I read somewhere that a guy said when he ran an independent power source from the battery that it stopped clipping, so i will try that also, i took my power out of the kick panel fuse box

Wait what. Took what power? Nothing should be coming out of the fuse box. You should have a power wire, 8g or bigger, coming from the battery and 12v turn on coming from head unit.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:24 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by hand banana' timestamp='1407807822' post='23282734
[quote name='PorgyS2K06' timestamp='1407734837' post='23281310']

Wait what. Took what power? Nothing should be coming out of the fuse box. You should have a power wire, 8g or bigger, coming from the battery and 12v turn on coming from head unit.
[/quote]
I mentioned this 10 days ago - see post#44
Old 08-16-2014, 06:41 AM
Member (Premium)

an 8ga wire would be overkill for this, i the power lead coming off of the amp is barley 12ga, i will try running a 10ga directly to the battery before i do anything

Originally Posted by lovegroova
I mentioned this 10 days ago - see post#44
i totally missed that

Quick Reply: alpine amp + speakers, still sounds like crap