S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

alpine amp + speakers, still sounds like crap

Old 07-28-2014, 04:29 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default alpine amp + speakers, still sounds like crap

So i finally pulled the trigger on a little audio upgrading because the stock setup is just awful

i picked up the alpine ktp amp, which is bridged to 90w rms on two channels which is powering up a set of Alpine SPR-60C w/tweeters

now i wired all this to the stock head unit, thinking that wouldn't matter because i would assume everything is bypassed thru the amp?

but it still doesn't sound too great, the speakers still distort at high volumes whenever the bass hits, i mean it gets louder than before, but it distorts harder too, if that makes sens, and the gain is barley turned up

is using the stock head unit causing this? if so how?
Old 07-28-2014, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I think it would be your stock head unit being the problem. On an after market head unit you would get RCA outputs, the rca outputs which connect to the amp can control the amp by lows, mid and hi's as well as other things such as Q factor. Grab yourself a decent head unit and you'd be listening to good music.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2014, 05:00 PM
Member (Premium)

ah so pissed the whole reason i did it this way was to keep the look of the stock head unit, im not a fan of the look of after market ones!

i have no idea which brand to go with
Old 07-28-2014, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an Alpine CDE-134HD. IMO it looks pretty good and sometimes i get compliments from passengers too.

I'm a big alpine fan so yeah of course my answer is gonna be alpine
Old 07-28-2014, 11:33 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

What are your preout voltages from the stock deck? Im guessing not much, where in comparison some of the aftermarket decks are pushing 6v. I'm sure you are aware, speakers can also be blown by not feeding them enough power to (what you may be experiencing, they are advertised at 110w rms/ per speaker)
Old 07-29-2014, 02:07 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by starchland
What are your preout voltages from the stock deck? Im guessing not much, where in comparison some of the aftermarket decks are pushing 6v. I'm sure you are aware, speakers can also be blown by not feeding them enough power to (what you may be experiencing, they are advertised at 110w rms/ per speaker)
Im not sure on the voltage... Wouldnt 90w rms be good for 110 rms speakers?
Old 07-29-2014, 03:33 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

I didn't think there were pre-outs on the stock deck?

I'm guessing that the OP is running the speaker outputs from the stock deck into the KTP445 inputs?

Check that the INPUT switch is set to SPKR and not RCA
Old 07-29-2014, 03:55 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry I misread. 90 (at full gain,per channel should be)
Old 07-29-2014, 06:43 AM
oth

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Make sure the switches on the amp are set correctly - filters should be off, input should be 2-channel,
and input signal should be speaker.
On the headunit, make sure balance, fader, bass and treble are all set to the centered/flat.
How far do you turn up the volume before it distorts?
In general, if the gains are set properly it's likely to be around 75% - that's a good estimate
of when the average headunit will begin audibly clipping, and the goal is to have the amp clip
around the same point to get maximum undistorted volume.
Finally, if it's not an adjustment issue, perhaps you have a mechanical issue such as the speaker
cone hitting the grill.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI bridging the amp not only doubles the power, it also doubles the distortion.

Quick Reply: alpine amp + speakers, still sounds like crap