S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Alpine 7873 Installed....No need for an amp??

Old 12-26-2001, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alpine 7873 Installed....No need for an amp??

I just installed my 7873 and it sounds great with my 6.5 3way Sonys....60W X4, I guess I wont need a bigger amp to power the cabin speakers. All thats left is a trunk sub and an amp, and maybe rear speakers...Am I correct?

Anyone suggest a good sub and amp? Im getting a custom Box made for the trunk well. should I go 10 or 12??

Thanks
Old 12-26-2001, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you install a pac unit for the dash control?
Old 12-27-2001, 05:07 AM
Banned

Not yet, thats one of the next things on the list..
Old 12-27-2001, 08:11 AM

Tugz,

Is that 60X4 RMS or peak? I'm guessing peak....did you run larger speaker wire for that amount of HU power?

I am doing a headunit swap and have an older RF Punch 45- 22.5 watts continuous power into 4Ohms. I assumed that this was much cleaner power that my sony HU...also I have always heard that these older Punch amps were way under-rated. The sony unit is 52X4 peak, 23 continuous.

Question for the experts:

1)Do you need to run new speaker wires for the power with the Alpine, if so, what size
2)Would you recommend new wire with the RF amp described above, if so, what size
3)Am I crazy to go through so much trouble to wire an amp and it only be the one above...understand the thing is collecting dust otherwise. Is this amp going to provide a significant benefit over the sony headunit power.
Old 12-27-2001, 09:04 AM
Banned

Yes the Alpine is 60X4 peak. I am using the factory wiring to power my speakers. Sofar they sound very good even with the small speaker wire. I would say try it our with the stock wiring and see what you think. If you want to upgrade the wiring you can go to a 16 gauge wire or even 14....keep in mind that the wire length is very short so wire gauge size with 60peak watts is not a big concern.

Peace
Old 12-27-2001, 01:59 PM

I am doing a headunit swap and have an older RF Punch 45- 22.5 watts continuous power into 4Ohms. I assumed that this was much cleaner power that my sony HU...also I have always heard that these older Punch amps were way under-rated. The sony unit is 52X4 peak, 23 continuous.
I think I have the same amplifier, is yours silver with gold sides? I have 2 of these that I am planning to drop into my S when I get my hands on it. This amp will most definitely be cleaner than any internal amp. It will cool better and if my memory serves me correctly this amplifier is also unregulated, not all are. Car amp power ratings are always rated at 12 V, but if you measure across your battery with the car on, it should read, 13.8 - 14.2 V...therefore you are getting more power. This amp is also a high current amplifier...you can load it down (run more speakers off of it), you can't do that with the internal amp of the h/u. You can even run it in mixed mode... run your door speakers in stereo and a mono sub woofer at the same time.

2)Would you recommend new wire with the RF amp described above, if so, what size
If you are going through all this work, take the extra time and run larger speaker wire.

3)Am I crazy to go through so much trouble to wire an amp and it only be the one above...understand the thing is collecting dust otherwise. Is this amp going to provide a significant benefit over the sony headunit power.
Absolutely worth it, I plan on doing the same. Is the sound better....definitely but you are in a convertable
Old 12-27-2001, 02:07 PM

Matrix,

here is a pic...perfect shape, hardly used amp....just not a ton of power.

Had this hooked up to some BA 6X9's in my wife's camry...more than enough volume for her. You are correct...you can run these down to 1.8 Ohm, bridge them, or run pairs of speakers...think it puts out about 90 watts RMS at 4Ohm bridged. I like the size...fits under the seat...hopefully will put out enough volume in my BA 6.5 components. If not, I am going to install a rear speaker set running on the head unit.

Any recommendations on the wire size?
Old 12-27-2001, 02:08 PM

TUGZ, i dont sugest you put a sub in the trunk, from all the ones that i have seen and the past expeience i have had, you are basically pressurizing the trunk with very little entering the car, especially when the top is down. i am fiberglassing a 10 inch sub into the passenger footwell. it takes only about 2 to 3 inches of space away from the foot area. mind you that you need to use a special woofer to acheive this, one that has the magnet on the front of the speaker. it is a little more expensive, but you are going to go custom, this is the way to go. i believe the name of the sub is allusion audio but dont quote me on that.
just my .02 cents
Old 12-27-2001, 02:39 PM

KaCee

Not the same amp. but everything I said still pertains.

Any recommendations on the wire size?
For power...find a good quality power cable with as many strands as possible. In my previous cars I used cables for welding applications. They can handle ALOT of power and are very flexible. Go as thick as possible as this will help the amp run cooler. Hard to say exactly what you need until I know length and all the power requirements, but here is a good table for reference (last table on the page). Off the top, I would say stay away from anything over 12 gauge.

For the speakers...also go as thick as possible and try to find some good speaker wire that is oxygen free. This will ensure that they do not get corroded at the ends and add more resistance to the run. Again of the top, stay away from anything higher than 18 gauge.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-27-2001, 02:45 PM
Banned

docofmind, when do you plan on doing this?? I am very intersted in seeing this installation. Pls keep me updated on the progress..

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Alpine 7873 Installed....No need for an amp??