S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Alpine 60x4 or external amp?

Old 08-16-2002, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine 60x4 or external amp?

I've been doing all kinds of research on the best route for me to take. With the new Alpine units that pump out 60x4 (27x4 RMS) will the sound be just as good as using an external amp? I'm just wondering since 27x4 is a good amount of power. I just don't want to kick myself later for blowing money. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2002, 11:27 AM

27x4 is not really a lot of power, at least not for aftermarket speakers. What kind of speakers are you planning on using?

- Warren
Old 08-16-2002, 11:44 AM

I don't know. It's a vicious circle. I have to decide on one piece of the stereo in order to decide on another and so on. I just want a nice sounding system (not competition quality) that I can add a sub to a little later, that isn't going to cost me a frickin' arm and a leg. I'm going to go crazy.

My initial hope was to just upgrade the speakers (including rears). Then I thought maybe I should get a new HU to make it sound better. Then people say it's better to use an amp, so that means more $$ to buy a HU, speakers, and an amp. I just want to make sure that I don't waste my money.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:55 AM

In my experience, it really seems that it's worth paying for the job to be done right the first time. Everyone that I've known that has started with a low-quality system has eventually sold all their stuff on ebay and bought better stuff.

I'd like for some of the more knowledge people here to post their suggestions of a good entry level system. I think a good start would be a good HU, a set of the Kenwood or Polk speakers (which both have good price/performance ratios). It would be wise to pick up a set of rears, too, if you're planning on going with mid-grade fronts.

Everything I've read about amps indicates that an amp is an amp is an amp. IMO, you're going to select an amp based on its feature set, it's power, and it's price -- not it's brand name. Get a decent-quality amp with 50% more power than you need for the speakers you've selected, and you'll have good sound quality.

If you decide to install a sub later, you'll most likely end up buying a second monoblock amp for it, so I would concentrate on getting a good amp for your fronts. The sub and its amp can both come later.

My two cents..

- Warren
Old 08-21-2002, 10:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by germ79
[B]I don't know.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:54 PM

Lucid already shipped your harness today Tampa!

If someone asked me what should I get first, an amp or a new deck, I would say get the deck. Lot less work, don't have to rewire the doors, run cables, mount an amp etc. Plus you yield between a 40-100% power output upgrade. THEN you have the a much easier key to start with your amp and subs down the road if you wish.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:21 PM

Is there a huge difference in sound quality between using the HU amp and a pre-amp deck?

Is a system with a powered HU, aftermarket fronts and rears and a sub w/amp a system that would be satisfying?

I know I have said this before, but I just want to spend my money wisely. Going with the pre-amp deck (CDA-7995) and having to buy an amp for the front speakers will cost me a considerable amount more. If it is going to sound a lot better, I'll spend the extra money and it'll just take me longer to put the system together. If it doesn't make a huge difference, then I'll stick with something like the CDA-7893 or 7894 and will be able to do things sooner! Please give me your advice!

J
Old 08-21-2002, 09:36 PM

Now I have heard from a couple of people that with decent aftermarket speakers, the preamp Alpine head units sound better than the amped versions... Any truth in this, Lucid?
Old 08-21-2002, 11:45 PM

IMO go with an amped deck that has 3 pairs RCAs for a future amp upgrade. Then you have the best of both worlds. A non amped deck will certainly push your bill up beyond $1000 in most cases because you need an amp, new wiring etc.

I chose the Ken MP919 because It has an internal amp that you can shut off giving me the best solution for my amped system. In the future I'll probably take the deck out and put it in another vehicle (with no external amp) when I see something else I prefer.

A deck without internal amp gives a cleaner signal to the external amp. But I doubt you'll tell the difference in this car.
Old 08-22-2002, 05:18 AM

So Lucid, since you have the Kenwood, does that mean you use the SWIX adapter? How do you feel about the delay? Is it a delay where it takes a second to register what you hit, or a delay where you have to hold the button down longer to get it to "register?" How did you decide on Kenwood?

Quick Reply: Alpine 60x4 or external amp?