S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

alarm system survey

Old 11-27-2001, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alarm system survey

Hey folks, I've seen bits and pieces about alarm systems on the forum, but I thought I'd run a quick survey.

What do you have installed?
How much did it cost?
Did you install it or have it installed? (how much work involved?)
How satisfied are you?

Obviously I'm looking into putting something into my car and plan on taking pointers from this survey. Thanks.

David
Old 11-28-2001, 07:13 AM

I was sort of thinking the same thing... but was more curious if people actually had it installed at all?

I know they come with the anti-theft system (chip in the key)... so just how useful is the alarm?

These days, the social norm seems to lean towards ignoring a sounding car alarm, often assuming it is a mistake, (over sensitivity, struck car door, etc.) and therefore something to be dismissed.

I rarely, if ever, see anyone actually investigate the sound these days.

Thoughts?

--J
Old 11-28-2001, 07:55 PM

yeah, member with alarm can give us advice on price and brand with all the bells and whistles, cuz i am looking at getting one too...

thx,
kevin
Old 11-28-2001, 08:38 PM

I got the factory alarm for 350 installed(it was a lower than normal price - reg 450 as I remember). It's just a blinking red light - doesn't really do anything, flash lights, blare horn if anyone opens a door or trunk...but it is a bad habit to get one on every car I have now

I had it done at the dealership and was very satisified with the installation.

My previous cars have all had clifford alarms and if money were not an option, I would get an alpine alarm system with lowjack. But my s2000 is so rarely out of my sight, I didn't get the lowjack - but it may be added later. I'm sure some other members have added lowjack or had experience with the system.
Old 11-29-2001, 09:14 AM

i can't speak for most people, but my alarm is 95% for me - *I* want to hear it when it goes off, so i can deal with it in a manner of my choosing (dogs, guns, or girlfriend). that being said, i have a clifford concept 600 alarm, complete with proximity sensor (you can't get within 6" of it, let alone reach inside it, without it giving you a really obnoxious warning noise) that can be deactivated on a case-by-case basis. Also included are hood, trunk, tilt, and door protection - nothing can be opened or moved without the system going off. a intellistart module is also on board, so i can safely remote start it when i please (and yes it has so many safeguards it would be impossible to run it into a wall - i can explain if it's necessary), twilight sentinel (turn on lights at twilight automatically - also defeatable), a theft guarantee from clifford, and a lot of peace of mind. and if it still gets stolen, they deserve the car
Old 11-29-2001, 09:25 AM

if you don't mind how much did you pay for the alarm? b/c i am look at getting one, but the security shop around wants too much.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:27 PM

I'm getting a Viper 800 installed on Sat., prox. sensors, window roll-up system, motion sensors, etc. etc. the whole nine yards, I had a Viper 300 on my last car & it worked great never had a problem D.E.I. makes great products, the window roll-up system really has nothing to do with security its just a feature that lets you put your windows up & down from outside the car by pressing a button on your alarm remote i think its a pretty cool feature.

price w/ install = $850

I'll post on Sat. night with the complete 411 on the system.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:35 PM

Alpine SEC-8081... $299 (I installed it myself). I also put another 8081 in my other car and use one remote for both cars (I also have an 8063 but I never installed it)
Old 11-29-2001, 07:46 PM

clifford and viper are both DEI companies right now... the concept 600 with those options runs around $850 installed as well... well worth it - great quality - just make sure your installer is great too.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:21 PM

Most people only purchase the Helm Service Manual for the S2000... which helps troubleshoot 99% of S2000 issues. I also purchased the Electrical Troubleshooting manual as well, which helped me greatly during my own alarm install.

For those who want detailed information of the S2000 electrical system, I will be posting the manual (as much of it as I can) in pieces on my website 'for my own private use from my wireless laptop in the parking lot'... so if you visit my site and see the Helm Electrical Troubleshooting guide there... you 'cannot read it or download it'...

Quick Reply: alarm system survey